VARIPROP Grease? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fstbttms

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2016 Thread Starter
Maine Member

VARIPROP Grease?

HI all:

Started doing routine feathering prop maintenance today, and RATS - the grease gun went empty. AB Marine sells Variprop/Variprofile "special" grease for $59 a tube. Isn't that special?! The empty cartridge in my gun was the same stuff (soft white grease made in Germany) - but I'm sure that I didn't pay $59 for it (I've had the prop for 9 years)!

Anybody have any thoughts / experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-02-2016
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Re: VARIPROP Grease?

Max Prop recommends Lubriplate 130-AA

https://www.amazon.com/Max-Prop-Feat...riplate+130+aa
olson34 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fstbttms For This Useful Post:
BELLATRIX1965 (11-03-2016), RichH (11-04-2016)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-03-2016 Thread Starter
Maine Member

Thanks Fast - I think that I'll give the Lubriplate a try. That brand has a pretty good reputation. Not only does AB Marine charge $59/tube for their "special" grease, then they want $22 to ship it! Unbelievable!

post #4 of 9 Old 11-04-2016

Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-04-2016 Thread Starter
Maine Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
Lubriplate 130-AA has excellent water resistance. PYI doesn't even require annual re-lubes on the MaxProp, it's every other year with 130-AA. In my experience, even that's conservative.
stream: Point well taken but here in Maine I re-grease every fall. The new grease pushes out old grease AND water. Even seawater will freeze when it gets cold enough - and water trapped inside a prop hub . . . you get the picture!
post #6 of 9 Old 11-04-2016

Oh, I'm right there with you. If the boat's out of the water I'm gonna grease the prop even if it was done a week ago. That said, I have let it go two years before and I was very pleased with how much grease was still in the mechanism.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-31-2017

Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-01-2017 Thread Starter
Maine Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iprone View Post
Hi BELLATRIX1965,

I just wanted to circle back on this post and see if you ended up going with the Lubriplate 130-AA? If so, did you have positive results? I bought a boat last year with a Variprop as well, but the maintenance components (gun, grease, etc.) were not included. I was hoping you may have went with the grease kit that was linked.

Thanks in advance!
Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.

Last edited by BELLATRIX1965; 06-01-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Additional info
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLATRIX1965 View Post
Hey iprone:

Yes, I did use the Lubriplate, and am very happy with it. It comes in a tube, so you need the special grease gun pictured in one of the earlier posts - I found one on eBay, I think, and it was under $20. That said, I really like how the tube grease and special gun work - very neat, as that type of grease is really gummy and messy. For your Variprop: check out BoatZincs.com (978-841-9978) - The Online Superstore for Zinc Anodes for a great deal on replacement (OEM) propeller zincs. Enjoy your new boat! OH, and your prop should need a 5mm-.8 grease nipple to apply the grease.
Thank you very much for the reply (especially the specs on the grease nipple). I purchased all of the components mentioned, I'm just waiting for it all to arrive.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in