Haul out woes - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 Old 11-05-2016

Re: Haul out woes

Boatpoker, can you answer my question about how the hollow rudder is built?

I recently bought a boroscope that connects to a computer or android device via usb for $15. It seems to work very well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 Old 11-05-2016

CS rudders were originally made in 2 pieces and bonded together. It is almost certain that most of these rudders will take on a certain amount of water and if stored in an area that freezes it can cause the water to expand and Crack the bond.
post #13 of 34 Old 11-05-2016

I see you're from Hamilton. grinding out the crack and laminating with cloth worked for my cs30 3years ago. relatively an easy fix. Mine cracked on the leading edge behind the skeg. Ive also attached a photo of a friends cs30 rudder that let go coming out of 50 Point late August. We got it back to Bronte with just rope holding the 2 halves of the rudder together. He got it hauled when we got back and he did this Frankenstein repair. It did hold for the rest of the season. He plans to rebuild it over the winter. The one half of the rudder completely separated from the other half.
Fix yours before it gets worse.
I have a CS33 on the hard beside now and i have shown him that his rudder has cracks too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0230.jpg   IMG_0282.jpg   20161018_195735.jpg  

1989 CS30

post #14 of 34 Old 11-05-2016 Thread Starter

I like the idea of a borescope.

Bottom line for me is that I intend to sail with my loved ones on this boat. I need to know I've covered the bases and done a good job and that I have confidence in what I've done. I think one or two small holes and a little extra epoxy and glass is a small price to pay.

I never thought to look at Canadian tire or princess auto for a borescope! I know where I'm off to tomorrow!
post #15 of 34 Old 11-05-2016 Thread Starter

Yep that's it - a crack on the leading edge. I've actually been thinking something more like die grinder may be more appropriate for cleaning out the crack. Maybe give my dremmel a good workout...

What did you use? And how much glass did you have to remove?
post #16 of 34 Old 11-06-2016

I thought crevice corrosion of stainless steel was from any water, not just salt water? If the rudder tangs have been exposed to water in this fashion for many years, couldnt crevice corrosion take place? Especially at the welds?
post #17 of 34 Old 11-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailymirror View Post
Yep that's it - a crack on the leading edge. I've actually been thinking something more like die grinder may be more appropriate for cleaning out the crack. Maybe give my dremmel a good workout...

What did you use? And how much glass did you have to remove?
I used a dremmel tool to burrow out the crack. You will be removing the the hardened bonding material, not much glass. Fill it with thickened epoxy then cover with cloth, fair and repaint. I think i used 5 layers of cloth.
You should drop the rudder and have a good look at it.

1989 CS30
The Following User Says Thank You to Oaksail For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (11-06-2016)
post #18 of 34 Old 11-06-2016

What cause the crack? Does anyone know? It seems like the first think you need to know before beginning any repair. There has to be a cause, either underdesign, corrosion, freezing , impact... something.

In this case freezing seems probable, though the said it was dry.

Something caused it. Either the inside grew or the outside shrunk. Which was it, and how do we tell?

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-06-2016 at 07:15 PM.
post #19 of 34 Old 11-06-2016 Thread Starter

That seems a lot less scary than having to rebuild the leading edge after removing a whack of glass.

i sure appreciate all the insight and suggestions from all over. Makes the whole issue seem more manageable somehow!
post #20 of 34 Old 11-06-2016 Thread Starter

I'm only speculating that it was freezing. If the rudder is hollow, I don't think delamination would show up like that - would it? Nor would rust "jacking". I suppose it someone foam filled it in the past as poatpoker suggests disintegrating wet foam would expand and do this.

When work gives me a break I'll go drill a drain hole and perhaps put a borescope to work. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in