SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wind display and Transducer is down (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/270337-wind-display-transducer-down.html)

Fau 11-20-2016 06:43 PM

Wind display and Transducer is down

It's looking like about $1,000 to replace both. I'm struggling with that expense. I mostly day sail and occasionally race. Is the information gained from this equipment worth that much?

Minnewaska 11-20-2016 06:55 PM

Re: Wind display and Transducer is down

Do you have a windex at the masthead? I find myself looking at it more anyway.

By transducer, I believe you mean wind transducer, not depth. Wind display is nice to have, not need to have.

Fau 11-20-2016 07:14 PM

Yes. There is a windex on the masthead that I'm constantly checking.

jephotog 11-26-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fau (Post 3735601)
It's looking like about $1,000 to replace both. I'm struggling with that expense. I mostly day sail and occasionally race. Is the information gained from this equipment worth that much?

If you are only occasionally racing, chances are you do not have enough experience to take advantage of the detailed information provided by the advanced features of a wind computer. It can be used for computing VMG, using polar and gybe angles.

I race on a two boats with all the go fast instruments. We had a world famous racer come aboard one day and he insisted that we add some yarn to the stays. He relied more on the masthead fly to tell what the wind was doing aloft and a piece of yarn to tell what the wind was doing near the deck.

SanderO 11-27-2016 10:53 AM

I like the AWI info... wind speed. True is a calculated value related to boat speed and so it's not very reliable if the speedo is off. It's helpful however for deciding to reef. Woolies are great...

SHNOOL 11-27-2016 09:32 PM

$1000 seems high for a wind indicator... Defender has speed, depth, wind, temp kits for $699 with transducers splitters and such (IS20 combo/wind system). Yes its NMEA 2000.

capta 11-27-2016 11:16 PM

I guess I sailed for something like 40 years without the fancy wind angle/speed instruments. That included several TransPacs, a circumnavigation and a bunch of TransAts, never mind years of Caribbean and Med sailing.
That said, I love my St-60 wind angle and speed display. With a full bimini it is a nice thing to have, but there is yarn on a lot of the shrouds as well. Of course, if one is sailing in the dark, the electrical displays can be rather useful.

Minnewaska 11-28-2016 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 3741201)
.....With a full bimini it is a nice thing to have.....

We have 12" eisenglass windows sewn into the bimini, just above the helm, at the perfect location to see the masthead. Works great. They also have a velcro cover, if at anchor and not wanting the light to come through, but we've never found the need to cover them up.

capta 12-02-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 3741314)
We have 12" eisenglass windows sewn into the bimini, just above the helm, at the perfect location to see the masthead. Works great. They also have a velcro cover, if at anchor and not wanting the light to come through, but we've never found the need to cover them up.

Yeah, we have windows too, but if the sail isn't blocking the sun we can't see much aloft a lot of the time.

Wes 12-02-2016 04:33 PM

Windex, woolies, tails on the sails will get you a long way. Sure it would be nice to have the electronics but NO you surely do not NEED them. As far as electronics, I get along just fine with a depthfinder as I mostly daysail. I have charts on my ipad but typically don't need them as I'm in "home" waters.