Wind display and Transducer is down - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2016 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Wind display and Transducer is down

It's looking like about $1,000 to replace both. I'm struggling with that expense. I mostly day sail and occasionally race. Is the information gained from this equipment worth that much?

Do or do not... There is no try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2016

Re: Wind display and Transducer is down

Do you have a windex at the masthead? I find myself looking at it more anyway.

By transducer, I believe you mean wind transducer, not depth. Wind display is nice to have, not need to have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2016 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Yes. There is a windex on the masthead that I'm constantly checking.

Do or do not... There is no try.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fau View Post
It's looking like about $1,000 to replace both. I'm struggling with that expense. I mostly day sail and occasionally race. Is the information gained from this equipment worth that much?
If you are only occasionally racing, chances are you do not have enough experience to take advantage of the detailed information provided by the advanced features of a wind computer. It can be used for computing VMG, using polar and gybe angles.

I race on a two boats with all the go fast instruments. We had a world famous racer come aboard one day and he insisted that we add some yarn to the stays. He relied more on the masthead fly to tell what the wind was doing aloft and a piece of yarn to tell what the wind was doing near the deck.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2016

I like the AWI info... wind speed. True is a calculated value related to boat speed and so it's not very reliable if the speedo is off. It's helpful however for deciding to reef. Woolies are great...
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

$1000 seems high for a wind indicator... Defender has speed, depth, wind, temp kits for $699 with transducers splitters and such (IS20 combo/wind system). Yes its NMEA 2000.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #7 of 10 Old 11-28-2016
Master Mariner

I guess I sailed for something like 40 years without the fancy wind angle/speed instruments. That included several TransPacs, a circumnavigation and a bunch of TransAts, never mind years of Caribbean and Med sailing.
That said, I love my St-60 wind angle and speed display. With a full bimini it is a nice thing to have, but there is yarn on a lot of the shrouds as well. Of course, if one is sailing in the dark, the electrical displays can be rather useful.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
.....With a full bimini it is a nice thing to have.....
We have 12" eisenglass windows sewn into the bimini, just above the helm, at the perfect location to see the masthead. Works great. They also have a velcro cover, if at anchor and not wanting the light to come through, but we've never found the need to cover them up.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-02-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We have 12" eisenglass windows sewn into the bimini, just above the helm, at the perfect location to see the masthead. Works great. They also have a velcro cover, if at anchor and not wanting the light to come through, but we've never found the need to cover them up.
Yeah, we have windows too, but if the sail isn't blocking the sun we can't see much aloft a lot of the time.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 10 Old 12-02-2016
Wes

Windex, woolies, tails on the sails will get you a long way. Sure it would be nice to have the electronics but NO you surely do not NEED them. As far as electronics, I get along just fine with a depthfinder as I mostly daysail. I have charts on my ipad but typically don't need them as I'm in "home" waters.

Just broad reachin' through life...
Alberg 30/ #196 Griffin's Faith

Last edited by Wes; 12-02-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in