SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Chlorine Dioxide odor control (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/270849-chlorine-dioxide-odor-control.html)

Minnewaska 11-29-2016 06:51 AM

Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
Was talking to someone recently who swore by the stuff. You mix a couple of things, which creates the gas, and it seeps into all the nooks and crannies that are unreachable to kill all mold and bacteria. While we have a pretty clean boat, it still got my attention. There are many areas that are simply unreachable to clean, such as behind tankage or cabinetry. Gas would certainly get back there with all access opened up.

I've understood that CLO2 is not corrosive. However, I also thought it broke down into CL and O2 and chlorine is corrosive.

I'm not rushing out to do it. However, if it was perfectly safe for all wiring and metals, I would consider it occasionally. Everyone says our boat does not smell like a boat. Nevertheless, when you bring clothing home that's been aboard for some time, you can smell "boat" on them. It's just not enough to detect aboard.

Any thoughts or input? Here's a couple of examples of the stuff, but even Home Depot sells it. The slow release says it's safe, while occupied. Might be good for a bilge (where said tankage lies), but no way that ClO2 is okay to breath!??

STAR BRITE Boat Bomb Deodorizer | West Marine

STAR BRITE NosGUARD SG Mildew Odor Control Slow Release System, Twin-Pack | West Marine

Bleemus 11-29-2016 08:46 AM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
Interesting. Never heard of anyone using but might be fun to try.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

colemj 11-29-2016 09:25 AM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
For the first time, we left our boat on the hard, unoccupied, in the FL sun for 2 months. We put in 3 "Sunpacs", ( https://www.amazon.com/SunPac-Mildew.../dp/B007FTQWMO )which are just paraformaldehyde, when we left. We were quite surprised when we returned that not only did they prevent any mold/mildew, they actually removed mold/mildew stains we had on some vinyl trim pieces that we had been unable to remove through other various means. The bilges were cleaned of mold/mildew. They also killed all spiders and other bugs. We were concerned about that because we returned with ants crawling all over the hull and deck and spiders everywhere outside. Not a single insect inside beyond a couple of dead flies and spiders.

These don't remove general odors - they are just a mildewcide, but removes the odors associated with mildew. You also can't live in the space. Upon returning, I walked inside and almost passed out - lots of tears and choking. Only took a few minutes to air the boat out, though.

Mark

RobGallagher 11-29-2016 09:55 AM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
There is a company called "Green Home Solutions" that two of my boating friends are involved in. They say it works wonders on boats and is inexpensive to get your boat sprayed in the fall. I have not tried it so I can't vouch for it.

travlin-easy 11-29-2016 11:04 AM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
You may want to take a look at Kanberra Gel - Marine

Gary

Skipper Jer 11-29-2016 11:13 AM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
Olfactory silence was the trigger phrase. Over on the Nor'sea group there was/is a write up on chlorine dioxide. Here is a copy written by a Dupont

One very serious way of treating a mold/mildew infestation is to saturate the area with chlorine dioxide. This is the horrible gas used in World War I, and it's toxic to every living thing---nothing can survive exposure to it. You can make by mixing sodium chlorite with hydrochloric acid, which you can purchase as muriatic acid in a hardware store. Sodium chlorite is readily available on-line, sold as something called MMS, or Miracle Mineral Supplement.

The first thing you should do would be to remove all the loose materials from the cabin, including any rotted carpeting or other fabrics. Scrub everything with a strong cleansing solution, then rinse out as much as possible. When that's done, you're ready to treat the boat interior with chlorine dioxide. Close all the portlights and hatches securely. Be certain to use protective gloves of thick leather, wear eye protection, and at all times avoid breathing any fumes.

MMS is a 22.4% solution of sodium chlorite, so put 88 ml of it in a measuring device, then add enough distilled water to a container to make 400 ml.

Next you will need to go to a building supply store and purchase some Muriatic acid, which is hydrochloric acid. This is usually around 32%, so you will have to mix up a 6% concentration of this. To do this put 72 ml of the Muriatic acid in a measuring device and add enough distilled water to make a total of 400 ml. You now have 400 ml of 6% HCl.

Place four bowls on the cabin sole, distributed evenly from bow to stern, including the aft cabin if that's the configuration of your boat. Pour 50 ml of the hydrogen chloride into each bowl. The next step is to add 50 ml of sodium chlorite solution to each bowl. You must hold your breath while you do this! And exit the boat interior as quickly as possible, while taking care not to knock over any of the bowls!

Leave the boat interior, close it up tight from outside. It's best to hang a sign on every hatch that reads: "KEEP OUT! POISON GAS!" and lock the companionway hatches if you can. Then leave the boat sealed up for 24 hours. The mixed solutions will give off the gas, and it will not only kill any mold or mildew spores that are on exposed surfaces, it will penetrate into any sponge-like porous wood surfaces, killing spores and every other biological entity that might lurk.

After 24 hours, come back and open all the hatches. Let the boat air out a bit, then open all the portlights while holding your breath until you get back up topsides. Let the boat air out considerably more, then go down into the cabin(s) and remove the materials. (They can be diluted with a gallon or so of fresh water and poured down the drain safely.) Your mold/mildew should be totally obliterated by this. Should the problem recur, you can simply repeat the procedure.

I've used this treatment on a basement apartment that got flooded and had mildew and black mold absolutely everywhere. After I had done the treatment and aired the place out, it was really peculiar to go down in that basement and smell absolutely nothing. All biological processes give off some odors, usually benign. Since everything in the place was dead, there was no scent of anything at all---like olfactory silence.

And a 4 page pdf by Dupont chemical: http://www2.dupont.com/Chlorine_Diox...-Oil-Field.pdf

Faster 11-29-2016 01:11 PM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
The gas may not be corrosive, not sure about that, but in liquid form we spent literally millions on titanium fittings and vessels because nothing else would survive.

Since 'Chlorine' has become a bleaching pariah in industry, most bleached pulps now use a combination of ClO2 and oxygen.

It's a nasty gas, no doubt, and few living things will survive exposure to it.

Minnewaska 11-29-2016 01:26 PM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by travlin-easy (Post 3742625)
You may want to take a look at Kanberra Gel - Marine

Gary

I use it religiously, year round. Started a thread on it 6 years ago now. https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...berra-gel.html

I don't believe it gets around, nor is as toxic as I'm hearing Clo2 is. I think Kanberra does a great job with preventing mold and keeping the air smelling fresh. But I don't think it gets in the deepest recesses of the boat, since they are usually closed up.

Truth is, I don't think I have a problem, but my imagination gets the better of me. I worry that areas of the boat that I'll never see are dark, damp mold factories. :) The Clo2 sounded like a nuclear and occasional reset, but I still worry is degrades into a corrosive chemical (Cl).

Don0190 11-29-2016 01:36 PM

I've used them a few times. They are easy to do and seem to do a reasonable job as long as you don't have a serious mold problem. But ok for just a cleaning of a shut up stuffy boat

colemj 11-29-2016 03:24 PM

Re: Chlorine Dioxide odor control
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 3742945)
I've used them a few times.

ClO2 packs? Sunpacs? Kanberra Gel? Green Home Solutions?

Don't keep us guessing…

Mark


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome