SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What kind of dry suit are people using?

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Arcb 
#1 ·
The time has come to upgrade my old mustang floater suit with something that people actually use in the 21st century. I'll be looking to purchase a breathable dry suit some time this winter, possibly a show special at the Toronto boat show this winter.

My usage will be mixed beach cat sailing, white water paddling and foul weather gear for really wet sailing conditions.

I am budget sensitive, in this case that means less than $1000 CDN or $800 US.

Two suits I have my eyes open for are the Level Six Emperor, which is primarily a paddling suit, rear entry, lots of features. The other is Gill-Pro which seems to score good points for overall value in online reviews.

Any thoughts, or recommendations?

#4 ·
I am guessing we don't have a lot of offshore dinghy racers on SN.

I really only have the first two I found on Google and the one Stumble recommended on my list. So, I guess I'll research the suit through other means and post my findings once I have made a choice in case there are other folks looking for offshore/marginal weather small boat racing gear.

#5 ·
As @Stumble said, Ocean Rodeo has good reputation, great quality, nice finish and the drysuit with a jacket is a plus in their design. In this post I started, @pdqaltair already pointed out this model (with a link from a personal review).
You have different models, with features and prices...not cheap though. One thing, you can find previous years models with a rebate. I bought this year the Ocean Rodeo Ignite with soft socks, but haven't try it yet (still with wetsuit in the dinghy). But pretty sure I'll get it in the water this weekend :)

#6 ·
Let me get this straight, and forgive my ignorance. You're sailing a small boat (11-15') in winter. Water just above 0C - 32F. Depending upon how aggressive you are (racing anyone?) you eventually tip the boat and end up in the water. Now this Ocean Rodeo suit will keep you warm and dry? Is that what i'm hearing? And for how long?
thanks
jon

#8 · (Edited)
The boat is 16', yes racing so sailing at maybe 10+ knots- hopefully. I have never used the Ocean Rodeo, but a good dry suit should keep you alive for several hours in conditions you are describing, but the goal would not to be to test that theory and get your boat righted ASAP.

#9 ·
a good dry suit should keep you alive for several hours in conditions you are describing, but the goal would not to be to test that theory and get your boat righted ASAP.
especially if you're racing :wink

#10 ·
I've had an Ocean Rodeo Soul (with socks) for 3 years. I sail A 34' catamaran year-round and I kayak regularly. Both, just a few days ago.

* Seems rugged.
* Better than rain gear in most cool weather. No water down the neck or up the sleeve.
* With a fleece under layers and a light fleece jacket, I did a 3-hour in-water test to Good Old Boat Magazine. Swimming, boarding a dingy, donning PFD, and a "cool down 90 minutes reading a book while floating. I was wearing a dive hood, gloves, and kayak boots. At the end of the test my core temp had gone up 0.5F and my fingers and toes were in the high 50sF, which mean cool but not stiff. I called the test due to boredom, not cold.

One advantage is the "stand by mode" (see my blog). It has a built-in jacket that allows you to pop your head out of the seal and still have rain protection. Good for not overheating. I think this is a great feature for sailors. I also use it a lot kayaking, when close enough to shore that safety is not a major concern. I've never dumped a kayak on flat water anyway.

I can put it on myself in ~ 2-3 minutes, including all accessories.

I REALLY like the increased feel of safety. If I go MOB in midwinter, it annoying rather than dangerous. I single hand most of the time.

#13 ·
ARCB: 3-5 mm neoprene drysuit dive hood, 3mm neoprene gloves, 3mm neoprene kayak boots.

Mast: There was ice in the water.

I was testing to the USCG immersion suit standard.

---

Obviously, the hood and gloves are only worn if I know I'm going in the water. The kayak boots are good as deck shoes, though I can also wear regular deck shoes. In cool rainy weather I like a neoprene beanie.

#15 ·
I have a dry suit for diving. Truthfully I think I prefer a wet suit. The big advantage is when I get out I am not changing in the cold.
I have to wear a lot more weight and I get far to hot out of the water.
For wind surfing I used a light wet suit. Never have dingy sailed.
Recently I started using a dry suit in a rib. At first I was very reluctant and against the idea. Turns out it is very comfortable.

#18 ·
Just to point out. Diving dry suits and water sport dry suits are very different breeds. Scuba suits have to be non-breathable types to prevent water coming in under preassure at depth. This makes them less comfortable and more restrictive. The surface sport ones are lighter, thinner, and supposed to be far more user friendly.

I think imentioned this above, but to be clear, I have worn scuba drysuits two or three times, but never tried a sailing one. But I am seriously considering buying one this year.

#17 ·
First, I like a set suit for diving because it is more agile in the water. Just not as comfortable.

Fleece layers. Not as much as you would think. Do try the suit with these layers. I have never worn more than this.
* Thick fleece socks
* Thin long johns plus med fleece pants. No heavier than sweat pants, but cotton is bad.
* Turtle neck, thin fleece sweater, med fleece jacket (slim fit)

In other words, the same layers I would wear under rain gear in the same weather. When I wear the drysuit as deck wear or to kayak, I wear one less fleece layer because there are NO air drafts to steal heat.

If you fell in wearing a dry suit and office clothes you wouldn't get very cold for at least 30 minutes. The suit traps a lot of air. If the suit is only for the "risk" of falling in, just wear whatever the day requires and you'll be fine. You will also float like a cork, even without a PFD. You only need the dive hood if you plan on diving or really being in the water for a while. However, I had to get a fish net off the keel a week ago (45F water), and having the full kit was nice. Didn't even get my hair wet. Also did some diving on anchors for a project; THAT would not have happened in a wet suit. Too much trouble.

#19 ·
First, I like a set suit for diving because it is more agile in the water. Just not as comfortable.

Fleece layers. Not as much as you would think. Do try the suit with these layers. I have never worn more than this.
* Thick fleece socks
* Thin long johns plus med fleece pants. No heavier than sweat pants, but cotton is bad.
* Turtle neck, thin fleece sweater, med fleece jacket (slim fit)

In other words, the same layers I would wear under rain gear in the same weather. When I wear the drysuit as deck wear or to kayak, I wear one less fleece layer because there are NO air drafts to steal heat.

If you fell in wearing a dry suit and office clothes you wouldn't get very cold for at least 30 minutes. The suit traps a lot of air. If the suit is only for the "risk" of falling in, just wear whatever the day requires and you'll be fine. You will also float like a cork, even without a PFD. You only need the dive hood if you plan on diving or really being in the water for a while. However, I had to get a fish net off the keel a week ago (45F water), and having the full kit was nice. Didn't even get my hair wet. Also did some diving on anchors for a project; THAT would not have happened in a wet suit. Too much trouble.
Very impressive!

Is there any negative to it? Why would I want to wear foul weather gear (plus layers of stuff under it in could weather)?

#22 ·
Any reputable sailing or paddling drysuit is fine. Try to get a closeout deal. Some people prefer latex neck and wrist seals, some prefer neoprene. Some prefer latex socks, some prefer gore-tex. Some prefer plastic zippers, some prefer metal. It really comes down to taste, I think. I have a Henry Lloyd TP1 (got it on closeout from Mailspeed Marine for 233 pounds sterling a couple years ago, including shipping) that I've used once a week for about 2 New England winters. I'll need to get the next and wrist seals replaced this summer, but otherwise it's in great shape. The Ocean Rodeo ones are very well regarded for sailing boats that don't generally capsize; you can wear them as foulies or as a drysuit. If you get one, I'd go with the socks option. But really, I'd look around for a great deal and get whatever that is.

#23 ·
I figured people who contributed might be curious about how my search concluded.

As planned I went to the Toronto Boat Show and found a few bargains.

Notably I found an "Ocean Rodeo Heat" dry suit on sale from Inland Marine and Life Rafts for $520 CDN or $390 USD, which I thought was a fantastic price.

I have done business with Inland before and I know them to be an excellent business that stands behind their products, so I was more than happy to buy from them.

The suit is black and grey, good mobility, just one pocket. The nicest feature is that it can be worn with or without the neck seal.

When I get a chance to do an in water review, I'll maybe film it and post it here.

I am pretty happy with my purchase, it seems like a great suit for a great price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.