What kind of dry suit are people using? - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-01-2016 Thread Starter

What kind of dry suit are people using?

The time has come to upgrade my old mustang floater suit with something that people actually use in the 21st century. I'll be looking to purchase a breathable dry suit some time this winter, possibly a show special at the Toronto boat show this winter.

My usage will be mixed beach cat sailing, white water paddling and foul weather gear for really wet sailing conditions.

I am budget sensitive, in this case that means less than $1000 CDN or $800 US.

Two suits I have my eyes open for are the Level Six Emperor, which is primarily a paddling suit, rear entry, lots of features. The other is Gill-Pro which seems to score good points for overall value in online reviews.

Any thoughts, or recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-01-2016

Re: What kind of dry suit are people using?

No direct experience but the Ocean Rodeo suits have a great reputation.

Greg
post #3 of 23 Old 12-02-2016 Thread Starter

Found it Stumble, $695 cdn at Mountain Equipment Co-op. Way inside my budget. It looks like a nice unit. I am going to add it to my list. Thanks!

post #4 of 23 Old 12-09-2016 Thread Starter

I am guessing we don't have a lot of offshore dinghy racers on SN.

I really only have the first two I found on Google and the one Stumble recommended on my list. So, I guess I'll research the suit through other means and post my findings once I have made a choice in case there are other folks looking for offshore/marginal weather small boat racing gear.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-09-2016

As @Stumble said, Ocean Rodeo has good reputation, great quality, nice finish and the drysuit with a jacket is a plus in their design. In this post I started, @pdqaltair already pointed out this model (with a link from a personal review).
You have different models, with features and prices...not cheap though. One thing, you can find previous years models with a rebate. I bought this year the Ocean Rodeo Ignite with soft socks, but haven't try it yet (still with wetsuit in the dinghy). But pretty sure I'll get it in the water this weekend
Arcb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cascoamarillo For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-09-2016)
post #6 of 23 Old 12-09-2016
May God Bless You

Question Re: What kind of dry suit are people using?

Let me get this straight, and forgive my ignorance. You're sailing a small boat (11-15') in winter. Water just above 0C - 32F. Depending upon how aggressive you are (racing anyone?) you eventually tip the boat and end up in the water. Now this Ocean Rodeo suit will keep you warm and dry? Is that what i'm hearing? And for how long?
thanks
jon
post #7 of 23 Old 12-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Let me get this straight, and forgive my ignorance. You're sailing a small boat (11-15') in winter. Water just above 0C - 32F. Depending upon how aggressive you are (racing anyone?) you eventually tip the boat and end up in the water. Now this Ocean Rodeo suit will keep you warm and dry? Is that what i'm hearing? And for how long?
thanks
jon
Half right. Dry suits will keep you dry, period. Most sailing dry suits have zero insulation so they won't keep you warm, that's what the sweater underneath is for.

Greg
post #8 of 23 Old 12-09-2016 Thread Starter

The boat is 16', yes racing so sailing at maybe 10+ knots- hopefully. I have never used the Ocean Rodeo, but a good dry suit should keep you alive for several hours in conditions you are describing, but the goal would not to be to test that theory and get your boat righted ASAP.

Last edited by Arcb; 12-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-10-2016
May God Bless You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
a good dry suit should keep you alive for several hours in conditions you are describing, but the goal would not to be to test that theory and get your boat righted ASAP.
especially if you're racing
post #10 of 23 Old 12-10-2016

I've had an Ocean Rodeo Soul (with socks) for 3 years. I sail A 34' catamaran year-round and I kayak regularly. Both, just a few days ago.

* Seems rugged.
* Better than rain gear in most cool weather. No water down the neck or up the sleeve.
* With a fleece under layers and a light fleece jacket, I did a 3-hour in-water test to Good Old Boat Magazine. Swimming, boarding a dingy, donning PFD, and a "cool down 90 minutes reading a book while floating. I was wearing a dive hood, gloves, and kayak boots. At the end of the test my core temp had gone up 0.5F and my fingers and toes were in the high 50sF, which mean cool but not stiff. I called the test due to boredom, not cold.

One advantage is the "stand by mode" (see my blog). It has a built-in jacket that allows you to pop your head out of the seal and still have rain protection. Good for not overheating. I think this is a great feature for sailors. I also use it a lot kayaking, when close enough to shore that safety is not a major concern. I've never dumped a kayak on flat water anyway.

I can put it on myself in ~ 2-3 minutes, including all accessories.

I REALLY like the increased feel of safety. If I go MOB in midwinter, it annoying rather than dangerous. I single hand most of the time.
Arcb likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-10-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in