A new exhaust for an old boat. - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 12-27-2016 Thread Starter

Re: A new exhaust for an old boat.

Winter is a good time for projects like this. No amount of large pipe wrenches, pipe extensions, PB blaster, heat, time, would budge this 2 1/2" bushing from the manifold flange. No worries - time is on your side in winter.

I started consulting plumber friends and researching household plumbing. That field deals with frozen bushings all the time.

A bushing in an exhaust flange that's been together since 1974, pales in comparison to a bushing in a 100 year old, steam radiator.

With a Sawzall and metal blade(after cutting the 1 1/2" pipe flush to the bushing), I cut across the top of the wrench side of the bushing, stopping at the exhaust flange.

Then with the piece in a vise, I turned the blade into the inside of the bushing, and slowly/carefully, cut -almost- into the threads. One cut and into the wrenches, the outer bushing began to collapse but didn't budge.

Next(back in the vise), I made the same cut 180 degrees away. With one wrench and 4' pipe on the ground, and the other with 4' pipe 45 degrees up-with all my weight- I felt it budge. A little more penetrating oil - all my weight again and again, it finally turned out.

This took about an hour - an energetic hour.

Just one tiny nick on the outside of the flange, the threads are untouched. The flange appears to be a thick bronze casting.

Now I can start collecting piping for the riser. The old exhaust was 1 1/2" in the dry area and then increased to 2" after the water mixing muffler, with no turns at all.

With my engine(4 cylinder 30+hp), I wanted to increase the diameter as the new design has elbows and of course water in the hose, after the muffler. The riser will be 2"(after a 2 1/2"x2" bushing), black iron pipe and the hose -to and out of the muffler- will be 2 3/8".

The muffler is a larger size for added capacity(1 1/3 gallon). That and the increased hose will give a larger volume for containing the water left in the system at shut down and for prolonged starting(which I don't forsee but somebody else could do it).

Faster and Bleemus like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 03-03-2017 Thread Starter

Plugging along,...

I tried every configuration of riser and muffler location. Because I changed the riser design, I'm waiting for another fitting before I can assemble it to the exhaust manifold.

Meanwhile, I installed the muffler. The easiest thing would have been to locate the muffler straight aft of the engine. But my engine access through a manhole in the cockpit sole, is too good(for a typical old low freeboard hull), to compromise at all.

A fairly large water lift muffler (12" wide 12" high) for extra capacity of cooling water that will drain back at shut down, it's now in place, port of the transmission.

I can still lower myself into the engine compartment and sit on a cushion over the drive shaft(feet fit each side of the shaft).

Looking through the manhole from the cockpit:

And sitting inside the engine compartment. The muffler doesn't obstruct work so I'm pleased. Very strongly attached, no worry of it coming adrift.

It will have to come out at some point (maybe to replace the HW heater) so I fashioned a bracket out of 3/4" marine plywood scraps. Cut to fit/fasten to a structural post and cut on a radius to fit the muffler, screw clamps run behind through bolts and around the muffler. Super solid but easy to remove.

knuterikt and chef2sail like this.

Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 27 Old 03-04-2017

Nice install so far. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
TomMaine likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics

post #24 of 27 Old 04-03-2017 Thread Starter

Finally the riser is assembled.

Insulated:

Installed on the exhaust manifold, and the new hoses are run.

I didn't get the recommended clearance between the water injection elbow and the water lift muffler - but it's not far off (short piece of hose). I've found plenty of cases of shorter distances working fine so, we'll see.

I plan to install an exhaust alarm. The sensor is a simple band clamp around the hose that turns on the alarm at 200F.

I found a good spot for a vented loop on the raw water supply to the injection elbow. Behind a removable panel that has a storage compartment, the loop is inside and on the back wall and easy to inspect. That allowed me to place it a good 2 feet above the water line on either heel.

The design of the new exhaust was driven by my desire not to further limit access to this area of the boat. That made the install a little more difficult but if anything, I've improved the access over the old jacketed pipe exhaust that ran through this area.

One last detail: Locate a larger stern outlet, fit and connect the exhaust hose, and see if it works.
Faster and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

Rockport, Maine.

Last edited by TomMaine; 04-03-2017 at 05:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
Hudsonian (04-03-2017)
post #25 of 27 Old 04-03-2017
Learning the HARD way...

Thanks for taking us along on this project.

I had to rebuild my exhaust riser some time ago. The threads on a nipple fitting sheared off as I tried to unscrew it (me smart like bull). Rather than use a reciprocating saw (sawzall), I used a Dremel with a grinding blade to cut a notch in the threaded fitting (as you did). I was not as careful as I could, or should, have been, and I managed to cut some of the threads in the flange. I figured that this was only 2 of 360 - good enuf for me. I then pushed the threads toward the center of the pipe with a small screwdriver to give me some purchase. I then grabbed the remaining metal from the nipple with a pair of needlenose. The remainder of the nipple peeled out in two pieces.

When I assembled the new components of the exhaust (black iron pipe from Home Depot), I used plumber's pipe dope on all of the threads. Despite the loss of two degrees of the circumference, it has held well for the past three seasons.
TomMaine likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #26 of 27 Old 04-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Finally the riser is assembled.

I plan to install an exhaust alarm. The sensor is a simple band clamp around the hose that turns on the alarm at 200F.
I bought one of those, will be installing this spring... along with the bilge water alarm.

Tom, thanks for sharing this very informative and educational post.

I only have one comment on your fixed water lift if I may...
There is very little hose to absorb engine vibration at low RPMs, and I think it is enough to stress your water lift tank. With time something will eventually give as it will be pushing down and a bit sideways on the spouts. Short of creating a flexible mount, pieces of thick but medium density rubber wrapped around and between the lift and the hose clamps and also at the bottom would help alleviate this.
Gorgeous boat and excellent work. I hope it will surpass your expectations.
TomMaine likes this.
post #27 of 27 Old 04-04-2017

One problem of vibration stressing the pipe (long lever) is the gasket on the plate that holds the cooling water in the manifold A leak here will flood the engine for starters. Every access is different but a welded and drilled flange bracket on the bell housing could work and leave every thing as a unit to move with engine.
TomMaine likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in