How to "commission charge" a set of golf cart batts? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RegisteredUser
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-2017 Thread Starter

How to "commission charge" a set of golf cart batts?

I am replacing my house bank, 4 6-volt golf cart batteries (wired in series->parralel)

And to be honest, I've never heard of "commission charging" until I read this excellent post by mainsail: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/3764386-post4.html

According to him: "For batteries that are to be wired series or series>parallel I wire them in parallel then charge to 7.4V and about 0.5% or less of tail current base on the 20 hour capacity."

But I'm wondering how I can do this with my current equipment (I've got a 30 amp Pro Charge Ultra onboard). How can I commission charge these batteries and ensure that they are balanced?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-04-2017

Re: How to "commission charge" a set of golf cart batts?

I would go by mfgr recommendations until something else positively proves them wrong.
Many 'Internet solutions' are not ones with solid controls.
travlin-easy likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-05-2017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
I am replacing my house bank, 4 6-volt golf cart batteries (wired in series->parralel)

And to be honest, I've never heard of "commission charging" until I read this excellent post by mainsail: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/3764386-post4.html

According to him: "For batteries that are to be wired series or series>parallel I wire them in parallel then charge to 7.4V and about 0.5% or less of tail current base on the 20 hour capacity."

But I'm wondering how I can do this with my current equipment (I've got a 30 amp Pro Charge Ultra onboard). How can I commission charge these batteries and ensure that they are balanced?
You can just do what they do in the UPS world and that is ensure the batteries resting open circuit voltages (24+ hours at 75-80F) are comparable to within 50mV then float them, with no ship loads, at 13.6V for about 3-5 days or more. This voltage ensures one battery is not over charged while the others play SOC catch up. Because we are using float voltages the duration is considerably longer to ensure better balanced batteries. I also hit them briefly with a EQ level voltage because even though my wholesaler/distributor has "fresh" batteries I have no way to really track how fresh..

In my shop I simply short cut the long float process by simply wiring the 6V batteries in parallel and charging them to 100% SOC, while in parallel. I start by taking them to 7.1V (14.2V equivalent) and 0.00A then bump voltage to 7.4V. The end current is usually as low as 0.1A - 0.2A @ 14.8V for L-16s, GC2's etc....

Sadly far to many marine techs ignore proper commissioning of series batteries, slap them in fresh from the store, and the customer eventually pays the price. I see far too many series-wired batteries ruined by out of balance situations. Sulfation I can accept as it is just a fact of life but we don't have to tolerate out of balance batteries. Assembling the bank with properly balanced batteries helps a great deal.

Keep in mind that just because you start with balanced series batteries it does not mean they will stay that way indefinitely. Manufacturing variances, varying Coulombic efficiencies etc. can still lead to series batteries becoming out of balance. While this has been well known in industry for many years the marine market is always slow to catch on. A number of companies are now offering series-battery-balancers as well as battery monitors that offer mid point voltage monitoring. Course you can periodically check your series batteries with a volt meter too to ensure they are in balance to below 0.05V. Periodic long floats & regular EQ's will also help keep all the blocks and cells in better balance.

Here is one battery manufacturers explanation of battery balancing.

"The service life of an expensive battery bank can be substantially shortened due to state of charge unbalance:

when new cells or batteries are connected in series, they should all have the same initial state of charge. Small differences will be ironed out during absorption or equalize charging, but large differences will result in damage due to excessive gassing (caused by overcharging) of the batteries with the higher initial state of charge and sulphation (caused by undercharging) of the batteries with the lower initial state of charge."

This is from another battery manufacturer:

"Whether installing flooded, maintenance-free AGM or GEL models, battery banks should be placed on an initial balance charge using manufacturer-recommended charging parameters prior to cycling. This ensures each battery is fully charged and will cycle in balance with the rest of the bank."
chef2sail likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-05-2017 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
bristol299bob (01-05-2017)

post #4 of 5 Old 01-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
even though my wholesaler/distributor has "fresh" batteries I have no way to really track how fresh..
Isn't the date of manufacture stamped on them? The 3 sets of Trojan T105's we have had were marked this way.

With 4 batteries, couldn't one connect 2 sets in parallel and then in series and charge, then swap two of each parallel bank and charge again? Since paralleled batteries balance themselves, the two combinations should result in all 4 being balanced among themselves - and this can be done with a 12V charger.

I never considered needing to balance serial LA batteries before, and considered the manufacturer's statements to mean that one shouldn't be dropping an uncharged battery into a serial bank with a charged battery (an important, but subtle, difference in meaning/understanding compared to the top balancing being described here).

Our previous 3 banks of 6 T105's were never balanced as described here and never had problems. At the end of their lives, all individual batteries began to fail gracefully, slowly and at the same rate. Maybe just luck, but I bet since the bank were all bought at once and had manufacture dates from the same day, that they all had the same SOC when put in service.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I would go by mfgr recommendations until something else positively proves them wrong.
Many 'Internet solutions' are not ones with solid controls.
Sometimes with "Internet solutions" it's often very helpful to know a little about the person posting. Not personally, but the history of his/her posts. (Why lurking and reading for a while is helpful in separating the wheat from the chaff)

The individual known as "Maine Sail" on several forums knows his stuff. Like really knows his stuff. A total expert on it.

Oh, and he's right too - smack those GC batteries with a good 6V charge first. Barring that, float em in series. His description as to why is spot on. And pay attention to charge voltage because GC batts like a bit more voltage than other FLA batteries.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in