SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hughes 38 Rigging (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/274137-hughes-38-rigging.html)

North Channel Sailor 01-15-2017 06:16 PM

Hughes 38 Rigging

Hi Guys,

Just aquired a 1968 Hughes 38 project. I am just trying to sort out the rigging for starters. The PO says the wire halyards have meet hooks. Anyone familiar with the rig on these boats? What type of spars, sheaves etc etc.

roverhi 01-16-2017 12:29 AM

Re: Hughes 38 Rigging

Not personally familiar but would bet real money that the masthead sheaves are aluminum dual purpose wire/rope sheaves. If they aren't frozen and the axle bearings worn, should work fine. Inspect them and clean any rough spots with sandpaper and/or file.

Get rid of the wire halyards and go with all rope. Would go with at least 3/8" NE VPC for the main and preferably a dyneema type cored line if you can afford it. If you are going roller furling on the headsail, ordinary StaSet or StaSetX would work. If you are going with hank-on sails, low stretch line would be best.

North Channel Sailor 01-16-2017 11:10 AM

Thanks I hope you are right on the sheaves. I just searched Cajun who I used last time for halyards. They still have good prices. 110' 7/16" halyards are $130 with spliced shackles.

SVTatia 01-17-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 3789761)
...Get rid of the wire halyards and go with all rope. Would go with at least 3/8" NE VPC for the main and preferably a dyneema type cored line if you can afford it.

Easier said than done. I have wire external halyards and was thinking of replacing with rope mainly due to the danger of the winch... So far I have not have any problems and will be keeping the current system with half wire half rope. To replace, I would need a new winch mounted on the mast, perhaps new sheaves, also, now the wire is contained in the winch eliminating clutter at the mast base, which I like.

@North Channel Sailor - you have a lot of good work ahead before needing halyards, no? I was in the same boat so to speak a few years back, but I focused on the restoration of the boat and hull inside/outside before I launched and started thinking about the rig. Finish the boat and go sailing with the current configuration before making drastic changes, just replace bad stuff that has fish hooks, wire halyards are cheap.
Just saying... my two cents...
Good luck with your project. You have a beautiful good old boat to bring back to life.
Where are you located?

North Channel Sailor 01-17-2017 01:00 PM

The boat is currently near Collingwood. I will be bringing her back to the North Channel. I want to get her rigged for the journey north asap so I can begin the work closer to home.

longjonsilver 01-17-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor (Post 3791314)
The boat is currently near Collingwood. I will be bringing her back to the North Channel. I want to get her rigged for the journey north asap so I can begin the work closer to home.

That's quite a distance. How does the A4 sound? Be sure and clean out the fuel tank so sludge and gum don't get sucked into the carb. Perhaps you have a backup plan?

jon

North Channel Sailor 01-17-2017 01:37 PM

No idea what the A4 has in store for me. I'll find out in the spring. I have a mechanical guru friend to help with it though. I am hoping the rig is solid to sail her to my home waters. All you really need is a sound rig, good ground tackle and seamanship. A good running engine is convenient though.

North Channel Sailor 01-17-2017 01:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here she is

Attachment 85834

Attachment 85842

The famous trim tab

Attachment 85850

SVTatia 01-17-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor (Post 3791314)

Sounds like a good plan. Like mentioned, replace the halyards or any wire you feel it should, fish hooks, rust, etc. Boat show is on for Anchor bargains, get the cordage you need from Redpoint ropes in Orillia, a dingy with outboard as a backup to your engine and Bob's your uncle. :svoilier:

SVTatia 01-17-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor (Post 3791410)
Here she is...

She looks good.... but not really comfortable with all the white sand around it....