New dock lines. - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-21-2017 Thread Starter

New dock lines.

Is there any pro/con for going with the premium vs house brand of line (Samson vs Buccaneer at Defender) for dock lines? If I buy the cheaper stuff I can get 1/2" for roughly the same money as 3/8" Samson, or I can get the 3/8" for a lot less money. Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$, and if so should I spend it on bigger line or nicer brand?

Donnie Harris
1980 O'Day 23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-21-2017
HANUMAN

Re: New dock lines.

Really depends on your use. If you rarely dock and just need to tie up to refuel a few times a year or you are a trailer sailer then maybe go with the cheap stuff. It likely won't see chafe or hours/days of wind. Heck, old halyards will work fine.

If you live at the dock I think it would be better to buy the good stuff. Wait for Defenders spring sale if you can.

As with most things in life you get what you pay for.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #3 of 19 Old 01-21-2017

IMO, oversized lines are not a good idea on a sailboat. 3/8" is generally recommended for a boat your size. I used them for over 20 years on a 25' boat and they never failed. 1/2" is way overkill. !/2" line won't even fit your small cleats properly. I only use 7/16" dock lines on my present 13,000 lb. boat, and it has ridden through 3-4 hurricanes and a couple tropical storms. My suggestion is that you use 3/8" nylon line. My preference is braid, but twist wiil do. In a severe storm, I put on a second set of dock lines all around. One set will suffice usually, but if a line chafes through before the storm passes (it hasn't happened yet), the backup line will take up the load and hold the boat.

I have sailed with friends who use oversized dock lines on their boats, and it's an annoyance every time we dock the boat. The fat, stiff docklines won't wrap around the small cleats, and you have to pound the line with your fist to make it lay snugly around the cleat.

Use the correct sized line for your boat, according to the recommendation of the West Advisor, or any of the other line size charts that are available. Oversized lines will only cost you more and not serve you as well.
Waterrat likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 01-21-2017
Master Mariner

First off, your dock lines should be nylon, not polyester. Therefore, you can and should use three strand nylon, not braid. Three strand has more stretch, is easier to splice and is much cheaper than braid.
Unless you have your heart set on colored dock lines, then go with a good quality three strand nylon line, not some cheaper alternative. Use fire hose as chafe gear and you won't be bothering your insurance company for a claim after broken dock lines.
My signature below relates to docking as well as anchoring.
RainDog and bshock like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 19 Old 01-21-2017

I have been using the Buccaneer lines for many years and the only problem is the chafe from rusty dock cleats. on a 23' boat 3/8" is big enough. if the cleats on the boat can handle 1/2" then you can put the eye on the cleat and then tie to the dock. 3/8" line on a 23' boat is strong enough to lift the boat out of the water so strength and stretch are a non issue in your case. I have all Samson lines on my boat except for the dock line because they chafed after 5 years and I replaced with the Buccaneer.
The black colored lines last the longest in the sun and don't show dirt and mold

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 19 Old 02-05-2017 Thread Starter

What size should the loops in the eye splices be? Is there a standard? Should it be relative to my boat's cleats? Got my 3 strand in, practiced up on some scrap and I'm ready to whip up my new lines.

Donnie Harris
1980 O'Day 23
post #7 of 19 Old 02-05-2017

^^ Oh no, now he's done it. We're going to start a thread on...

* Do you use eyes at the boat end or tie cleat hitches?
* Whether the eye goes through the cleat and then over, or just over.
* Do you place an eye over the piling, or tie it so that it cannot slide down?
* How to tie a cleat hitch.

Just don't do this:

JoCoSailor likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #8 of 19 Old 02-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
What size should the loops in the eye splices be? Is there a standard? Should it be relative to my boat's cleats? Got my 3 strand in, practiced up on some scrap and I'm ready to whip up my new lines.
I don't think there is a standard, but the size of the spliced loops is necessarily related to the size of the line. You could take a trip down to your local chandlery and measure the loop on their pre-made 3/8" docklines. Or just experiment on the cleats you will be using for docking. FWIW, I have an Oday 23, and I use 3/8" lines with pre-made splices. I use the loops on the boat's cleats, and I tie them off on the dock cleats. I buy cheap. I found two lines at the local Ocean State Job Lot (for those of you not in CT or RI, its one of those warehouse liquidator places). I don't recall the exact price, but I remember thinking that they were about half of what BoatUS or West Marine was charging. I use really cheap chafe gear too: I cut up an old towel, wrapped it around the chafe points, and secured it with duct tape (no tape on the line itself though). I also use old garden hose. Unless you are going to use braided line, I'd stick with the least expensive option for docklines. My lines have been through a number of big storms, and they don't look at all the worse for wear.
utchuckd likes this.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-06-2017
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Three strand has more stretch, is easier to splice and is much cheaper than braid.
And way more chafe resistant.
RegisteredUser likes this.

post #10 of 19 Old 02-06-2017

3 strand is still sexy, regardless of what you hear.
It's easy to work/play with.
Have some fun with it....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in