would you give up 12 volt refrigeration for? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
Master Mariner

Re: would you give up 12 volt refrigeration for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Box size may be a problem. how big are they?
We put shallower bottoms in the boxes last fall, but they are still pretty big, somewhere around 6 & 8 cubic feet respectively.
It's my guess that the insulation is probably breaking down (crumbling), but I have no visual access to see. If only I was a safecracker, I'd have all the tools to inspect it through a tiny hole. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Engine running, bring the cold plates down, use the 12 v. to maintain temps. Using the engine when ever it is running will conserve many Amps, lightening the load on my house bank.
I'm not sure that is true. I haven't run the numbers - perhaps @deniseO30 will. Given the efficiency of engine-drive v. alternator charging batteries to run a modern 12V compressor what is the Wh energy requirement? Apples to apples ...

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #23 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
Reduced Sodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
If only I was a safecracker, I'd have all the tools to inspect it through a tiny hole. lol
Digital Inspection Camera

Total chineezium garbage, but for $70 worth every penny. I have modified it with attachments for picking things up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Computer_bad For This Useful Post:
capta (01-28-2017)

post #24 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36

Engine running, bring the cold plates down, use the 12 v. to maintain temps. Using the engine when ever it is running will conserve many Amps, lightening the load on my house bank.

My thinking is while motoring or motorsailing, flip on the engine driven compressor to freeze the holding plates and cool down the box. The 12 V system will not have to run as often to maintain temps until the holding plate temps rise a bit and the thermostat then calls for it.
seabeau likes this.
post #25 of 49 Old 01-28-2017 Thread Starter
One of None

I'll write more from my desktop later on because I'm on my cell phone, now, but The holding plates Will keep the boxes cold for a long period of time

One of the arguments people try to enforce about current draw of 12 volt Refrigeration I don't agree with. For weekend/a week
The draw is so low that you almost don't have to make modifications in your electrical system since many boats already have around 200 amp hrs and 2 banks.

Weeks away at sea on the hook for weeks will Evoke a different argument.

I've not looked But the engine driven compressor He's usually big enough to cool the whole boat Horsepower wise I would say 3 to 5 horsepower

Edit (from my desktop)

The factors to use as a guide are easy to find.

watts to btu W X 3.415 (3.4 is ok)

1 horse power = about 745 watts.

horse power of refrigeration effect 12,000 btu = ton (old schoolers call it horsepower.

boxes should be at around R-25 per sq ft. some more.. many much less.

CAPTA 8 cu ft is not a big box. are they side by side?

On engine driven systems, you can have more then one box (or device like evaporator or holding plate.) the capacity of the device is determined by the refrigerant metering device (cap tube/s or TX valves.)

many if not all 12 volt condensing units draw around 40-60 watts.

Most people with boats know how to figure out amp hours and "wattnot"

You are all of course welcome to have a field day with this information. It's not written in stone and I don't pretend to be a total expert, it's just stuff I know from being in HVAC all my life.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-28-2017 at 06:50 PM.
post #26 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer_bad View Post
Total chineezium garbage, but for $70 worth every penny. I have modified it with attachments for picking things up.
You can get a 10 or 15 meter USB camera on Amazon for about $30US.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #27 of 49 Old 01-28-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer_bad View Post
Digital Inspection Camera

Oh boy. Caper flicks are the best. Now I can be a "classy thief", too!
Seriously, does it have a light at the lens or must you get light to the area to be viewed? Didn't see any mention of a light.

As for "chineezium garbage", I've gotten great service out of a number of items from harbor freight/northern tools. Just used a ten year old tap & die set yesterday and my hydraulic crimper for cable & wire is near that age. Not only do we crimp battery wire lugs up to double 0, but the davit wires and the security cable for the dink. LOVE that tool.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #28 of 49 Old 01-28-2017

When I found a brand new Grunert Passage Maker with eutectic holding plates for $125.. at the sailors exchange I just knew my Pilot of the Pinta was lookin out for me .Already had built the 6" insulated box in the aft cabin so all I needed was water in and out and some wiring .It;s 110v only but will run from main or the Kobota thru inverter or shore. Since the Hagendaz was good for 4 days and I lived aboard to keep track of things like that ,It was great. No more canning the ocean farm and total cost less than $300. Still works trouble free after 15 years. May be old tech but for useful/frugal hard to beat.
deniseO30 and seabeau like this.
post #29 of 49 Old 01-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post

My thinking is while motoring or motorsailing, flip on the engine driven compressor to freeze the holding plates and cool down the box. The 12 V system will not have to run as often to maintain temps until the holding plate temps rise a bit and the thermostat then calls for it.
My 12 V refrigeration system has an "automatic start up" feature, whereby the compressor kicks into high gear when the system voltage increase--such as when the engine is running. The purpose is to accelerate freezing of the cold plate. This takes some of the pressure off the house bank to keep the temp down when shore power or engine-powered alternator power are not available.
flyrod likes this.
post #30 of 49 Old 01-29-2017

We have both engine driven (Sea Frost) and DC in the same box, the best of both worlds.. You'd need to pry the engine driven system from my cold dead fingers. It serves 95% of our refrigeration needs when out cruising. We only use the DC system to extend silent time at anchor.. The DC system is supplementary..
flyrod, IStream and seabeau like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in