The rest of the running rigging - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 02-02-2017 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Re: The rest of the running rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I would be interested in what you consider the ideal setup.
You guys have been hitting it - end of boom to bow and back to cockpit or nearby. I have found that with some attention to lead the only rerigging necessary is to run the boom end around the mast to the other side so you don't have to go to the bow. Some people use pendants on each side of the boom that tie or clip to the long part of the preventer - one quick trip to the mast and no straining to reach the end of the boom.

"Preventers" that attach mid boom and connect to the toe rail at or behind the shrouds are much much less effective. Look at the three dimensional geometry and you can see they hold the boom down but not really forward. Further if you put the boom end in the water at speed a mid-boom "preventer" can lead to cracking or bending the boom. Bad day all around.
Minnesail likes this.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 02-02-2017

What's a "backstay"?

We have a boom brake and find it works well as a preventer. While it doesn't "prevent" during an ultimate hard backwind, it then just gives a slow controlled gybe. It does prevent the occasional light or short-timed backwinding from gybing. Frankly, I prefer this than a boom stuck hard and violently backwinded with the boat rounding overpowering the rudders while I scramble to release it.

We do use a preventer on our Camberspar jib when flying it by the lee. If that backwinds, I need to release the preventer, but the sail isn't large enough to overpower the rudders, and mostly I just steer it back into flying correctly again.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #13 of 41 Old 02-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Further if you put the boom end in the water at speed a mid-boom "preventer" can lead to cracking or bending the boom. Bad day all around.
Boy, if we do that, it's a bad day all around regardless of boom damage or not.

Bad day for my pants, too...

Mark
Minnesail likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #14 of 41 Old 02-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Bopster, Neoskizzle, Goocrux, Glowl, Nedril...
Sorry Barquito, the subject is rigging, not hangover medicine...
post #15 of 41 Old 02-03-2017

And then there is the Captain's least favorite piece of rigging. The Admirals Rope

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #16 of 41 Old 02-03-2017

Quote:
Some people use pendants on each side of the boom that tie or clip to the long part of the preventer - one quick trip to the mast and no straining to reach the end of the boom.
I must have been in a bit of a haze yesterday, I couldn't quite visualize this.

But it made sense today. You two lengths of line roughly the length of the boom, you run one down each side of the boom to a clip or something up near the mast. You shackle that short length to the main preventer line that runs out to the stem fitting and back to the cockpit. On jibing you just go to the mast and release one, move the preventer to the other side of the mast, and clip on the other.

That sounds like it could be pretty slick. On my little boat the boom is already crowded with reefing lines and the outhaul (nothing is run in-boom) so it might be a tangling hazard for me, but I could sure try it out.

It sounds like something that'd be fairly easy to rig on a charter boat if you were willing to haul some line and fittings with you.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #17 of 41 Old 02-03-2017

Here's an article with a diagram of what you propose:
Boom Time - Sail Magazine

Quote:
FIGURE 1 End-boom preventers are often rigged when running in big seas or when there is a risk of broaching and dipping the boom in the water. A good way to set up an end-boom preventer is to fix one line (pendant) on either side of the boom, with snapshackles at their forward ends (C). The leeward pendant is clipped to a loop in the end of the preventer line (A) running through a snatch block that’s either clipped to the toerail near the bow (B) or, if the boom is high enough for the preventer line to clear the lifelines, to a padeye on the foredeck (this avoids the need to relead the line when you gybe and allows the block to be left in place—you just unclip the preventer line, pass it around the front of the mast, and clip it to the new leeward pendant). The preventer line is led aft to a winch or clutch by the cockpit, either to leeward or to weather (D). Make sure it can be released under load.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 02-03-2017 at 05:30 PM.
post #18 of 41 Old 02-03-2017
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Here's an article with a diagram of what you propose:
Boom Time - Sail Magazine

I like that, can't be used reefed but then I usually don't (try not to) do a lot of wing on wing reefed. But when I do it pretty exciting.
post #19 of 41 Old 02-03-2017 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

That's it, and can be used reefed. Also can be used to hold the boom the heck out of the way so you don't stand up into it at the dock.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #20 of 41 Old 02-03-2017

Quote:
Also can be used to hold the boom the heck out of the way so you don't stand up into it at the dock.
Geee, who would do that???
Signed
Lumpy

s/v Harmony
1973 Tartan 30 #186
Anchorage Marina, Baltimore MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in