Replace speed/depth display - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-05-2017 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Replace speed/depth display

My Raymarine speed and depth display is old and very difficult to see. How difficult is it to replace? The hardware and wiring are good so it is just a matter of replacing the display on the pedestal. Thanks!

Do or do not... There is no try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-05-2017
al brazzi

Re: Replace speed/depth display

Easier to change out a display then snake a transducer up to the pedestal for sure.
capta likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-05-2017

What model?
My old (about 2004) ST-60 set of instruments still look like new, but we do keep covers on them when at the dock. UV is hard on the display faces, no matter what brand.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-06-2017
al brazzi

Mine are at least that old really don't know but with covers are clear as a bell. Covering jnstruments like this, Compasses and such is imperative.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-06-2017

If it's just a matter of the LCD displays are hard to read, you may get away with putting some polarizing film on the display. My old Datamarine displays were getting hard to read. Got some polarizing film off Amazon for under $10 and it made a big difference. It was for a cell phone display and was simple peel-and-stick.

PO had not been using covers for the instruments so I think that's what damaged them.
fallard likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 12 Old 02-06-2017
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fau View Post
My Raymarine speed and depth display is old and very difficult to see. How difficult is it to replace? The hardware and wiring are good so it is just a matter of replacing the display on the pedestal. Thanks!
One of our slip neighbors with Raymarine instruments had a sounder that suffered "black screen death". As he's somewhat inventive, he pulled the display head and disassembled it. The "screen" proved to be a "generic" LED display manufactured in China (of course) that he was able to match on the internet and purchase through eBay for less than $15.00 USD. When it arrived, the pins on the display were rather longer than those on his original unit so he very carefully chopped off a few millimeters of each with a small sharp wire cutter. After plugging in the new display he reported that the screen worked fine but was "up-side down". He unplugged it, reversed its orientation, and plugged it back in and, lo-and-behold, he was/is back in business. With that he reassembled his display, sealing it with a fine bead of silicon caulking around the edges and remounted it in his nav-pod.

Unfortunately, he related the above to me only after I had already spent $1,500+ on replacement instruments due to the same "black-screen" deaths on our 2001 era Standard-Horizon 150 series instruments.

I will send him a note to see if I can find the series Raymarine instruments he repaired and the source for the replacement displays and report his response. I suspect the approach may work with other similar instruments with the same issues.

FWIW...

PS: According to our Electronics Technician (at Jaytron in Bradenton, Fla) the best defense against UV destruction of LED Screens is to place a piece the shiny metalized tape of the type used on air conditioning ducting on the inside faces of the covers of one's instruments.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #7 of 12 Old 02-06-2017

I've had three generations of Authohelm/Raymarine instruments on my 1990 vintage sailboat. Replacements occurred in 2000 and 2010, thanks to lightning strikes. The displays were on a spray hood, under a dodger, and were always covered when not in use. All of the displays were looking like new just before they were replaced

Each successive generation had better display visibility, particularly at night. I'll bet you'd be pleased with a new display.

If you decide to replace vs. repair, you should check for mechanical and electrical issues first. Should not be a big problem, but I recall my latest displays required a slightly larger cutout. They operated on RM's first generation Seatalk network, which has a curved 3 wire connector, as I recall. It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with RM customer service on compatibility issues. I've found them to be very helpful on a Seatalk compatibility issue for a replacement GPS antenna on a power boat I own. They actually recommended a competitive antenna and told me how to wire it to my older RM chartplotter. That option saved me over $200.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-06-2017
Old as Dirt!

In regards my earlier post, #6 above, it seems my memory was defective. Our neighbor replaced the display's in his Datamarine instruments. The replacement display he used was a 3- Segment Digital LCD Module Display similar to the following:

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 02-06-2017 at 07:39 PM. Reason: correct typo...
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2017 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered some polarizing film and will try that first. I'll post once I try it whether it works or not.

Thanks!

post #10 of 12 Old 02-12-2017 Thread Starter
Fau
Possibly improving

Unfortunately, the polarizing film didn't work. It looks like I'll have to swap out the display or the entire unit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in