FTZ battery lug crimper - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Marine Refrigeration

Re: FTZ battery lug crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Since those hydraulic crimpers are always for metric wire sizes ("9x dies: 4, 6, 8, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50, 70mm2 ") they will not properly crimp SAE or AWG wire sizes, found in the US. And of course, everyone "in the business" in the US insists that properly sized dies are critical, that "close" is not good enough.

Leaving the question of why some clever Chinese tool maker doesn't supply US die sizes for the US market. (shrug)

Or, perhaps close is good enough and all the sized dies business is nonsense?
Trust me , I had my reservations about these hydraulic crimper’s , I have a couple of crimper’s that have standard dies that have not worked well in the past so I thought I would give this one a try , for the money , why not. I wanted to make sure these crimps would handle the current I was going to put through them ,300 amps, so I cut open a couple of them to take a look at how well it was working. My tests showed full engagement and fusing of the strands, no voids! So maybe that SAE die thing is nonsense ? Best money I have spent in a while .

Regards John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 02-08-2017 Thread Starter

I contacted sailboatowners.com to let them know I didn't receive instructions. Since I posted this morning, I've also noticed that some of the lettering on the dies is illegible. Something is goofed up. I have a feeling this was a return to someone else along the way and SBO didn't know it. They are sending me another one today and are taking this one back.

Good service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 32 Old 02-08-2017

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-K09-...eenlee+crimper

All the dies are both numbered for their nominal wire size and colored. You can't rely only on the wire gauge markings on each die because different lugs come in different thicknesses. The Ancor starting lugs are made of thinner stuff and they crimp fine in the corresponding numbered die. The FTZ lugs for the same wire size are thicker so you need to go up a die size. In that case, the color coding on the lugs tells you the proper die size.

Bottom line, go with the color markings on the lugs. If there is no color marking, go with the nominal wire size.

post #14 of 32 Old 02-08-2017 Thread Starter

I also bought FTZ heavy duty lugs, as these will go from the 125 amp inverter/charger directly to the battery.

Update from sailboatowners.com, who are being very helpful. They opened another box, before sending it out, and found it also doesn't have instructions, nor was the die lettering very crisp. They said the tool is now made in China, it's used to be made in the US. @Maine Sail may update his recommendation.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-08-2017

The Greenlee isn't cheap but it's very good. Made in Germany, FWIW.
post #16 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Super Moderator

FTZ 94284 Calibration

#1 Set the left die to "A"
#2 Set the right die to "C"
#3 Open handles fully
#4 Close handles until the "A" die and "C" die first touch
#5 Do not close handles any further (dies just touching)
#6 Measure the distance between the handle centers at the handle ends
#7 Distance should be 14" - 16" center to center
#8 If not 14" to 16" turn the Allen head adjusting screw (on right handle side of tool above sticker) clockwise to widen the handle gap and counter clock wise to narrow the gap.
#9 Hint closer to 14" and the crimp is on the low side of adjustment (less tight), closer to 16" and the crimp is tighter.
SVTatia, Rhapsody-NS27 and seabeau like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #17 of 32 Old 02-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
FTZ 94284 Calibration
Thanks Maine. Starting measurement was 20 inches! Here's a pic of the quality, which is the same die setting in one of your pics on your website. I've also included a pic of the cause. SBO has offered to replace it, with one I can read. Although, they say they are all fuzzy letter stamping.

FTZ battery lug crimper-ftz-hk-die.jpg
FTZ battery lug crimper-ftz-china.jpg

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-09-2017 at 04:34 AM.
post #18 of 32 Old 02-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks Maine. Starting measurement was 20 inches! Here's a pic of the quality, which is the same die setting in one of your pics on your website. I've also included a pic of the cause. SBO has offered to replace it, with one I can read. Although, they say they are all fuzzy letter stamping.
There you go Minne, Maine beat me to it...

On mine one letter is also fuzzy, but you sort of get used to it... Interesting enough when I first saw Maine Sail's article the cost was under $150 now it is up to $180 - price going north quality going the other way....

In any case, its a good tool and the cost per crimp on mine is getting lower everyday.
post #19 of 32 Old 02-09-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

Got mine here. Probably the best price I was able to find.
FTZ Heavy Duty Lug Crimp Tool

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #20 of 32 Old 02-09-2017
Old as Dirt!

For what it's worth, while installing our Maxwell windlass in 2006, I found that connecting lugs to the cables needed was much more easily and neatly accomplished by using a "SwageIt" hand swaging tool:

The "SwageIt" was also far less costly than a crimping tool.
chef2sail likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in