FTZ battery lug crimper - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-08-2017 Thread Starter

FTZ battery lug crimper

Just bought this crimper to make new cables for my new invertor/charger. I figured it would pay for itself, when I expand my house bank down the road.

It came with no instructions, other than the settings on the handle. I assume I crimp down as hard as I can? Turn 90 degs and crimp again? It also came with a small screwdriver, allen key and allen bolt. No idea what the additional allen bolt or screwdriver are for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-08-2017

Re: FTZ battery lug crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just bought this crimper to make new cables for my new invertor/charger. I figured it would pay for itself, when I expand my house bank down the road.

It came with no instructions, other than the settings on the handle. I assume I crimp down as hard as I can? Turn 90 degs and crimp again? It also came with a small screwdriver, allen key and allen bolt. No idea what the additional allen bolt or screwdriver are for.
I have one of these. Awesome tool.
Mine came with a little paper with instructions on how to calibrate the crimper prior to use.
I remember seeing another post about it here or somewhere else, I'll dig it up. The tools are to use in the calibration.

To crimp you just follow the guide on the handle for the lug size you are using, dial the right dies (left and right) and crimp - place one of the handles on the floor and hold the wire with the other. It does not need to double crimp unless you are using the double crimp lugs.

I assume you have seen this?

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/battery_cables

Last edited by SVTatia; 02-08-2017 at 01:35 PM.
post #3 of 32 Old 02-08-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
....Mine came with a little paper with instructions on how to calibrate the crimper prior to use...
Good to know it needs calibrating. Nothing came in the box, I just double checked. If you have anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sure have. I purchased the crimper from the link in MaineSail's article.

Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Marine Refrigeration

I actually bought one of these. It has worked flawlessly and makes a nice 6 sided crimp.

10 Ton 9 Dies Hydraulic Wire Terminal Battery Cable Crimper

This is one of my crimps on 4/0 Ancor wire .

Regards John

PS you can see my wire cutters beside my foot on the floor, the handles are 4 feet long LOL slices 4/0 like butter .
Attached Thumbnails
crimp.jpg  

post #5 of 32 Old 02-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sure have. I purchased the crimper from the link in MaineSail's article...
Same here. I'll look for the instructions and let you know, its fairly easy...
Minnewaska likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVTatia For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (02-08-2017)
post #6 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Marine Refrigeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
I actually bought one of these. It has worked flawlessly and makes a nice 6 sided crimp.

10 Ton 9 Dies Hydraulic Wire Terminal Battery Cable Crimper

This is one of my crimps on 4/0 Ancor wire .

Regards John

PS you can see my wire cutters beside my foot on the floor, the handles are 4 feet long LOL slices 4/0 like butter .
Sorry, Wrong one,

This is the one I used , the dies are held on both sides .

16 Ton 11 Dies Hydraulic Wire Crimper Crimping Tool Battery Cable Lug Terminal | eBay

Regards John.

post #7 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Since those hydraulic crimpers are always for metric wire sizes ("9x dies: 4, 6, 8, 10, 16, 25, 35, 50, 70mm2 ") they will not properly crimp SAE or AWG wire sizes, found in the US. And of course, everyone "in the business" in the US insists that properly sized dies are critical, that "close" is not good enough.

Leaving the question of why some clever Chinese tool maker doesn't supply US die sizes for the US market. (shrug)

Or, perhaps close is good enough and all the sized dies business is nonsense?
post #8 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Daniel - Norsea 27

I got the FTZ crimper per Maine Sails recommendations as well... along with the one he sells for heat shrink ring terminals.

Ordered some lug terminals from genuinedealz for 2 AWG that only says "pink die" on it. I set according to what's on the handle then did a crimp, but it seemed too small as part of the lug was squeezed out one side of the crimper, so I went to the next size up and had a better crimp. Same thing happened when I got a different terminal that only said to use "brown die" and had to re-adjust after the first crimp.

Certainly a good crimper for working on the boat and crimping terminals while the wires are in place. Not much room for the hammer crimper I have on hand.

I also got a piece of paper with mine, but just set everything to the side for now. Didn't see a need to use those bits at this time.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #9 of 32 Old 02-08-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Sorry, Wrong one,

This is the one I used , the dies are held on both sides .

16 Ton 11 Dies Hydraulic Wire Crimper Crimping Tool Battery Cable Lug Terminal | eBay

Regards John.
I have a similar one from Harbor Freight which works great on everything from battery lugs to the davit cables and dink security cables. 6 years and still going great.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 32 Old 02-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
... but it seemed too small as part of the lug was squeezed out one side of the crimper, so I went to the next size up and had a better crimp. Same thing happened when I got a different terminal that only said to use "brown die" and had to re-adjust after the first crimp.....
Looks like your crimper needs calibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
... I also got a piece of paper with mine, but just set everything to the side for now. Didn't see a need to use those bits at this time.
Go get that piece of paper and fix it....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in