replace rope/wire halyards with synthetic? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 02-28-2017 Thread Starter

Re: replace rope/wire halyards with synthetic?

Thanks, all. Sounds like MLX or the like is the way to go. Went up the mast yesterday and the sheaves look good. The grooves have a round cross-section rather than a vee, so I believe that they'd handle rope as well as wire (am I incorrect there?) On the subject of shackles, have any of you tried splicing an integral soft shackle to the halyard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 02-28-2017

A lot of good stuff on this site Integral Halyard Soft Shackle
MLX does work with a stripped cover but the core seems to fray more then the Warpspeed II. Also have used Validator II and not worth the extra money. I like the Warpspeed II the best. it is more expensive then MLX but does last longer, splices better

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 23 Old 03-01-2017

After reading that a knot would reduce the ultimate strength of the line by XX%, I figured that my new halyards, rated at about 7500#, would not lose any useful needed strength due a knot. Heck, my shrouds are rated at about that poundage.

As for what sort of knot, I use a "halyard hitch" and have also used an "anchor hitch" as both of these give the line the best lead possible as it goes around the initial turn on the shackle.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-01-2017

I like to use this: No Shackle Toggle Halyard I got rid of my wire and rope halyards several years ago and have been very happy.. L-36.com also has instructions for splicing Stay-set to Amsteel. If you change headsails often I suggest that you splice a little loop of line to the end of the halyard to put your hand through while fiddling with the sail. The Amsteel is so much lighter than double braid it's easy to sky the halyard.
post #15 of 23 Old 03-12-2017

This may have already been said, but look at your sheaves. If they're grooved for rope + wire, the edges of the secondary, smaller wire groove will abrade he rope. If they're aluminum, you can have a machinist turn the grooves down so they're round. You'll lose about 1/4" of diameter, though. Otherwise replace them with new or plan on replacing your new halyards prematurely.
post #16 of 23 Old 03-25-2018

Thanks for your explanation, based on actual experience. I have an old Cascade 36, with external halyards and wire to rope. I have been wanting to change to all rope for a while no wbut have been discouraged by most Armchair-Admiral's predictions of doom. I am planning on using Stayset-X and fitting self tailing winches, to make it easier when I have to reef, also.
post #17 of 23 Old 03-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Yep, or Samson's MLX. Both lines have a twelve strand dyneema core, allowing you to just trim back the cover, rather than splice on a completely different line. Here's a great YouTube vid on tapering the cover to the core on an exotic line like VPC or MLX:

Taper a double braided Dyneema rope
Question: Will the now exposed core be more susceptible to ultraviolet degradation? I figure I'll have quite a long piece of exposed core, on my external halyards, once I do this.
post #18 of 23 Old 03-25-2018

To reiterate what I've said before, I beg to differ. Have converted 3 boats to rope halyards using the composite rope/wire masthead sheaves that the masts came with with no problems. One of the boats had limited time using wire but sailed that boat to SoPac and back. One that had had wire halyards for 40 plus years I solo'd to Hawaii and the other that had had wire halyards for nearly 40 years just sailed from SF to Oceanside with some pretty mean conditions the first day of the 400 mile sail. One boat had all dacron halyards and the other two exotic cored dacron sheathed line. To be safe you should inspect the sheaves and smooth any questionable surfaces but did not have to do that on any of the boats, just changed to rope.

If you can afford it, would go with VPC or other limited exotic cored line. Those lines aren't a lot more expensive than StaSet X but have less stretch and aren't stiff like like StaSet X. Because it's so stiff, StaSet X will climb out of the self tailing jaws on a horizontally mounted winch effectively making a self tailing winch into a non self tailing one. Used NovaTech Argus spectra cored line on my newest current boat and it's worked fine and was little more than a dollar a foot for 5/16" which is fine for this boat. Would go with 3/8' on a boat much over 30' to keep the fingers happy. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ssov=1&_qfkw=1

Peter O
1969 Pearson 35 'Ae'a
1976 Sabre 28 American Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svselkie02 View Post
This may have already been said, but look at your sheaves. If they're grooved for rope + wire, the edges of the secondary, smaller wire groove will abrade he rope. If they're aluminum, you can have a machinist turn the grooves down so they're round. You'll lose about 1/4" of diameter, though. Otherwise replace them with new or plan on replacing your new halyards prematurely.

Last edited by roverhi; 03-25-2018 at 05:32 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 03-25-2018
Barquito

I agree with Peter. I had a fraction of the miles he did, but, had no problems using rope on rope/wire sheaves. I don't have ST winches, so, was unaware of the issue with StaSet-X. That good to know.

Valiant 32
post #20 of 23 Old 03-25-2018
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwijohn View Post
. I am planning on using Stayset-X and fitting self tailing winches, to make it easier when I have to reef, also.
Not StaSet-X, a lousy line for halyards and ST winches. Maybe see

https://youtu.be/PDAUozfyDsg for halyard comments.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in