Practical Sailor anchor testing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 03-07-2017

Re: Practical Sailor anchor testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
The best you can do, IMHO, is read a lot of data, and then learn how to set and test an anchor properly. The truth is that you can safely anchor with most any anchor, if it is sized properly and you know how best to use it. We all have our favorites, and I'm not going there!
Agree. There are so many variables that it seems silly to presume a single style anchor is "best", without consideration of bottom type (including shallow strata) and--particularly--scope and setting.

I've got a Mantus dinghy anchor and it is impressive for its quick setting and holding power, compared to other compact dinghy anchors. I bought the version that breaks down without tools and stows in my bow compartment. My other choice would have been the small Fortress, but I couldn't stow it without taking it apart. The mushrooms and folding grapnel are totally inadequate IMHO. Thus, I can appreciate the enthusiasm for "modern" --Mantus, Manson, Rocna--styles, but don't think they are the only answer.

My primary sailboat anchor is an "old-fashioned" CQR, which has served me well for 21 years. There was a learning curve, though. I figured out how to start the set, back down progressively, and let out more scope. It probably helps that I have a 3-bladed MaxProp that provides significant thrust in reverse, compared to fixed, cupped props. For overnight anchoring, I typically back down at a peak rpm of 1600 rpm with my 3GM30.

Bottom line: anchoring technique matters, regardless of anchor type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 03-07-2017

I am not sure this is a recent report.

The conclusions seem very strange. They are not consistent with other findings.

I have not read the report, but given the strange findings, I don't think it worth the time and cost of paying for the details.

Practical Sailor has some very good information, but the anchoring articles are very inconsistent in my view. Some are good, but many are terrible. I think the magazine needs a revision of its contributing authors in this area.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelex View Post
I am not sure this is a recent report.

The conclusions seem very strange. They are not consistent with other findings.

I have not read the report, but given the strange findings, I don't think it worth the time and cost of paying for the details.

Practical Sailor has some very good information, but the anchoring articles are very inconsistent in my view. Some are good, but many are terrible. I think the magazine needs a revision of its contributing authors in this area.

I have. It book is primarily a compilation of articles written over a considerable time period. Some is new, and some of the reports are older, including anchors of older designs; I'm not sure that is bad, since they are still around and this gives a reference point for newer designs. Additionally, some of the material relates more to rigging methods, chain and connectors. There is a LOT more to anchoring than performance numbers from a test method that can never exactly duplicate the real world. That said, I've certainly mined them (3 books) for information. Data is always useful, and more experiences always help. Considering the cost of learning by hard knocks, books are always cheap.

I think terrible is a stretch. Anchors tend to be an area where opinions run high. What you are likely seeing is a range of views based on a range of experiences. I certainly don't agree with all of them, but I respect that different boats and different cruising areas require very different answers.

---

Let me give an example. There was a big test in mud near Solomons Island, MD a few years ago. Lots of data, carefully witness and recorded. You could nit pick through the numbers and reach many conclusions, but I'm pretty sure only a few are truly supported by the data:

* Anchors don't hold much in soft mud.
* More surface area helps.
* Layers do weird stuff to anchors, and you can't judge the layers from the surface.
* Anchors can take a long distance to set in soft mud. All of them took 30-60 feet.
* The angle of the fluke matters; shallow is better in firm bottoms, steep is better in soft bottoms. It is no more possible to pick a perfect geometry than it is possible to use chef's knife on a tree, or a chainsaw on a tomato.

Excellent anchors under performed, and mediocre anchors did relatively well. Anchor testing on poor bottoms is a bastard, which is why very few people even try. How many tests have you read on very soft mud, weeds, or rocks? You won't because it is agony.
I don't believe ANY brand-specific statements can be supported, based on the amount of scatter in the data and the variable nature of the seabed.
fallard likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #14 of 14 Old 03-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I don't believe ANY brand-specific statements can be supported, based on the amount of scatter in the data and the variable nature of the seabed.
Yes. This is part of the problem. It is very rare to see even rudimentary statistical analysis on the results.

BTW, I have enjoyed your writing.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in