Sonic 23 - un-stepping the mast - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonScribner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2017 Thread Starter

Question Sonic 23 - un-stepping the mast

We bought a Sonic 23 last fall and are preparing to do some maintenance this spring. We'd like to un-step the mast to run new wires and install new masthead light, antenna, etc.

Has anyone done this before? My main question is concerning the shrouds - do they need to be detached when lowering the mast, or can the turnbuckles be loosened just enough to keep the mast centered while it is lowered? I'm hesitant to change the tightness of the turnbuckles due to having to "re-tune" the mast afterward. It looks like they are very close to the pivot point of the mast, but i wanted to ask someone with experience.

Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2017
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Sonic 23 - un-stepping the mast

Moving this question to the proper forum. Hopefully someone may be able to answer your question.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2017

Hi Matt,

We step our Lancer 25 mast every time we sail. If the shrouds are on the same side of the tabernacle as the masthead while laying down or even with it, then no, you can probably drop it without removing the shrouds. You might want to loosen them. You also might want a gin pole or use your boom as one. There are many videos on the process available on line. If this is a one time deal, just use your main sheet for purchase. If this will happen often, make a dedicated block and tackle and a real gin pole for the job. It isn't bad once you get the hang of it. We can step our mast and rig in 20 minutes if motivated. Actual raising of the mast takes 10-15 seconds to vertical.

Don
Turnin Turtle likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks Don. Yea, i think they are close enough that just loosening them will be enough. I'll mark them with tape first so i can return them to the same tightness. I have watched tons of videos and will probably use the boom and mainsheet block to lower it. I was hoping to find another Sonic 23 owner that has done it to know for sure, but i'm sure we'll figure it out - in a few weeks!

Thanks again!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwood1 View Post
Thanks Don. Yea, i think they are close enough that just loosening them will be enough. I'll mark them with tape first so i can return them to the same tightness. I have watched tons of videos and will probably use the boom and mainsheet block to lower it. I was hoping to find another Sonic 23 owner that has done it to know for sure, but i'm sure we'll figure it out - in a few weeks!

Thanks again!
Most masts on small trailer yachts of around 20ft are secured by two side stays and a forestay. No, you do not need to touch the side stays or their turn buckles at all. All you need to do is disconnect the forestay; but be sure that some one is hanging on to the mast first. I am doing it alone and I use my mainsheet blocks as shown in the photos. The red line is the main sheet (5:1) which I use for raising the mast; the blue line is used for lowering (1:1).
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1680.JPG   DSCN1681-001.JPG   DSCN1123-001.JPG  

Magnum 21, Laser, Hobie 16, Noelex 22, Kestrel 19, Laser, 470, Seahopper, Optimist, Sunfish...
blog:

Last edited by David Chin; 07-29-2017 at 10:05 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2017

Its often helpful to have 2 to 4 people involved with lowering a mast (and raising it) to be able to better control it.

When only the line being used to control the rate of lowering (raising) is holding weight and the side stays go slack the mast may tend to go off to one side. Having someone (or two people) just gently pulling on the side stays to keep the mast from doing this makes it safer.

Then one person to ensure the line goes into the guide on the gin pole and later that the mast goes into the support at the transom.

While one person can do it by running the appropriate guide lines to where he/she can reach them all at once (with cleats handy to use for controlling the lines) Its just easier with help.

Tags
sonic 23 , un-stepping mast

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in