Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 Old 03-31-2017 Thread Starter
GreenasGrass

Re: Converting swing board trailer to wing keel trailer?

I am putting feelers out for eight 6" x 5/8" x 48" steel plates. These will replace the 21" plates on the EZ Loader trailer and give up to 56" of room for the keel...probably 8" more than needed. I can always cut, bit harder to add.

All of these debates about the keel engineering are of interest. I will render an opinion after sailing it. Almost everything has pros and cons. The S2 is a respected sailboat.

The trailer is worth almost as much as I paid. The diesel is likely worth almost as much as I paid. The dinghy and motor has significant value. The free scuba gear is priceless. Don't ask how much I paid.

The original owner may find out about this thread. I'd like to keep it kind and respectful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 04-01-2017

Colo,

I'm trying to figure out what you plan to do with the plates. I've converted a couple of trailers to sailboat trailers and if you're doing what I think you're doing it will be insufficient for the task. What I did was raise the roller assemblies up on 4"x 4" x 1/4" aluminum tubes that were welded to saddles that bolted around the frame. Worked pretty well. Most sailboat trailers will use pads or bunks on 2" steel tube that is braced in two directions. I've been in engineering for over 30 years. I can't run numbers but i have a real good feel for this sort of thing.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-01-2017 Thread Starter
GreenasGrass

I think a photo would be quite helpful. Not seeing a way to upload a photo with a laptop.

This EZ Loader trailer uses 8 thick steel plates with 64 rubber rollers to support the boat. That is preferable to the commonly used 4 steel poles and pads.

Not going to argue. Likely impossible to visualize without a photo.

post #24 of 40 Old 04-01-2017

I'm curious - didn't *you* see a photo of the trailer before you drove all that way to get it?
post #25 of 40 Old 04-01-2017 Thread Starter
GreenasGrass

No I didn't see a photo of the trailer. The auction was for the boat with the trailer, more or less, tossed in. Hence "the best and the worst deal imaginable". Many good surprises and one bad surprise.

So far only schnool and krisscross have shown an interest in much more than interference. A bit curious but oh so consistent...
post #26 of 40 Old 04-01-2017

I see, I found the listing: 1978 S-2 Sloop Rear Cockpit w Duel Trailer, Isleton CA | NO FEES, NO RESERVE | eBay

One of those donated boats. I see it has been letting rain in according to the description "Very much in need of TLC. Bilge accumulates water during rainy season".
Might take others advice and check the coring very carefully.
post #27 of 40 Old 04-01-2017 Thread Starter
GreenasGrass

Nice detective work. Is that what this board is about? 17 scripts calling in data...12 domains...15 potential trackers.
post #28 of 40 Old 04-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Nice detective work. Is that what this board is about? 17 scripts calling in data...12 domains...15 potential trackers.
Not sure I follow what you are trying to say here about scripts and trackers.

You mentioned an auction so I searched Ebay to get a look at what you bought.
post #29 of 40 Old 04-01-2017 Thread Starter
GreenasGrass

Further checking shows the deep keel has a 4' "draft". Reckon that is at least a foot shorter than a 4' "keel".

Found a few people wanting to give their project sailboat away. Pretty easy to get in over ones head. Also....my boat sparkles compared to many that are for sale. They don't have brown spots, they have mostly large brown areas. Must be the weather.
post #30 of 40 Old 04-01-2017

From the eBay description, he removed the swing keel, added 800lbs of ballast and deepened the keel.

I read this to mean that the deepening of the keel is just adding depth the the existing stub keel that contained the swing keel. The 800lbs of ballast was likely added inside or close to the boat hull in the stub keel where the swing keel would be when retracted. Most likely, the board was 500-800lbs of cast iron that began to corrode to the point of being unusable so was removed, and the added ballast and deeper stub compensates for this, although is placed a bit higher.

If so, this isn't a bad modification and shouldn't change the boat's attitude. It will probably be a bit more tender and point slightly less well than it would with the swing keel fully down, but be better in all other conditions were the swing keel would be only partially down.

If you absolutely must trailer it yourself, and it is a one-time only thing, you might be able to just cut off the stub keel, trailer it and glass it back on when you get it to its home.

That is assuming the deepening of the keel was just simple glass work and does not contain ballast. If it contains ballast, then the modification is even better than above, but you still have to modify the trailer instead.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in