Cabin sole wavy - can you level it? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2017 Thread Starter

Cabin sole wavy - can you level it?

I am replacing the teak/holly plywood in my Seaward 25. When I removed it, there is a recessed pan that the floor should fit into. However, the floor underneath it varies in height by at least a 1/4" in some spots, due to the keel bolts. At some point in its life, the floor was replaced by indiscriminately filling that pan with huge squirts of adhesive and then flooring over the top of the recessed pan.

I thought it might be the fact that the boat is sitting on the trailer on the keel, so I adjusted the posts on the trailer to lift it slightly off of the keel. There appears to be no change.

At this point, I think I may just wish to level the floor. I was going to get the boat level on the trailer and then try to use some flooring leveler. Perhaps I should just use a ton of epoxy? After I do that, I will epoxy the PlasTeak to the floor as per PlasTeak's directions.

I'm worried that flooring leveler may not be flexible enough. I did see a product called Seacast that looks promising.

So, any ideas? Product suggestions? Shared experiences? Solutions?

Thanks,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2017

Re: Cabin sole wavy - can you level it?

Pictures would help... how thick is/are the sole plates? Can you recess the bottom surface to take the uneveness into account so that the floor board(s) actually do sit flat without weakening the sole?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2017

I don't understand the 'pan'....can't visualize/mentualize it....

post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2017 Thread Starter

The floor is molded fiberglass. Where the teak/holly plywood went, they recessed the fiberglass about a 1/4" so that the teak/holly would fit flush. However, due to the wavy-ness of the recessed area, I can't put the PlasTeak directly on it. I need to level what will be the subfloor, before I can put the new floor on it.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2017

I had a similar cabin sole in my last boat and we covered it with Lonseal lonwood teak and holy. lonseal and plasteak vinyl flooring are the same thing. curved surface would have been very hard to do with wood. we used the satin top seal finish because tested a sample of all three finishes on the cabin sole. the satin finish was the least slippery when wet and it showed less marks from boat shoes. 6 month test. we leveled the surface with west epoxy and micro balloons. I looked into the seacoast but it is polyester resin and chopped glass fibers and very hard to sand if needed. the lone seal was stuck down with their epoxy compound which works very well. small learning curve, use a small 1/8" notched trowel and use a floor roller to make sure it is down flat and roll out any excess resin. don't even try without the roller
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3176.jpg  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2017

From your description the previous owner 'shimmed' the recess to make the sole level using some kinda whatever.
This makes sense.
I would suggest the same, topping the 'whatever fill' with wax paper, then lightly weighting it.
The PO may have only put a few sploches in, but you could fill most of the recess so weight is spread evenly.
Otherwise, you're talking about messing around with composite shims (cheap), but still needing to glue them down.

Maybe think about this as a gasket...pressing the sole to the flexible gasket sets an even height/level.

Would have to be there....

A carpet runner hides a lot of ills....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in