glassing over removed thru hull. what glass to use? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-04-2017 Thread Starter

glassing over removed thru hull. what glass to use?

I have removed a 2 inch diameter thru hull fitting in my fiberglass sailboat. The hole is underwater and the hull is ½ inch thick at that point.

My main question is regarding the type of glass I should use in making this patch. I will be using West System epoxy.

I have seen much info about doing such a repair, but what fabric exactly I should use remains a question. I would like to make the repair as strong as possible.

Some say use 1708. Some say 1708 with mat, some say 1708 without the mat. Some say 12 oz cloth would work.

My guess is that most any fabric would work, but I have to choose one. I do have confusion over chopped strand mat. I know there is the stitched type that would be compatible with epoxy. But is the CSM necessary?

If I had to do it right now, I would use 1708 with no mat….

I feel confident in my ability to lay up the glass from both the inside and the outside. The inside does not have as much room for tapering the patch, but I can still do some lay up.

So what fabric should I use?? Please, thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-04-2017

Re: glassing over removed thru hull. what glass to use?

Alternating between mat and cloth will most closely resemble the original layup schedule. If your boat was made with a chopper gun, your repair might be the strongest part of the entire boat.

Fiberglass Repair by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS
seabeau likes this.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #3 of 17 Old 04-04-2017

Mat has a binder agent which doesn't dissolve properly in epoxy so use heavy cloth layers rotated appx 45 degrees each layer so the fibers run in the many directions which is one of the main points of using mat.

I like to build thickness with heavy cloth, then the last few layers go to finer and finer cloth so the weave is finer resulting in a smoother surface 9less sanding)

post #4 of 17 Old 04-04-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I sure hope Tartan did not build my boat with a chopper gun!!!

From what I see and read, there is a stitched mat that is compatible with epoxy. but I dont think I want to use any mat anyway.

Maybe I will go with 12 oz cloth? or just biaxial. Or 17 oz?

what to use is my only question...
post #5 of 17 Old 04-04-2017
Catalina 400 MKII

I have a question. Is the hull epoxy or polyester? If it is poly, why not use polyester resin for the patch?

Thanks, Scotty
post #6 of 17 Old 04-04-2017

Epoxy provides a much better secondary bond than polyester onto old fiberglass.. however a proper patch done with either would likely be just fine. Using Polyester (or better, Vinylester) would make alternating layers of matt a decent choice. I have used 1708 biax (stitched matt included) with epoxy resins with some success - but it won't 'wet out' clear like polyester will.

Tapering the hole and layering in the largest patch first is the way to go whichever materials are used.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 17 Old 04-04-2017 Thread Starter

The hull is poly with a vinylester outer laminate. It was peeled and relaminated due to a
'washed out" outer laminate.

I would only use epoxy as it is superior in adhesion and strength. Being an amateur I will take any advantage I can. The increased cost is not much, especially compared with failure.

boat is a Tartan 34, 1974
post #8 of 17 Old 04-04-2017
Dirt Free

For such a small patch, the weight and weave is irrelevant. I'd use whatever was in the back of my truck at the time. Use 6oz. if you like and keep laying it in with epoxy til' hull thickness is matched. If the rest of the job is done properly you'll have no trouble.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-2017

If you use epoxy you may have issues getting the gelcoat to stick. Then again you could also put INTERPROTECT over it and then bottom paint. Just say'n.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If you use epoxy you may have issues getting the gelcoat to stick. Then again you could also put INTERPROTECT over it and then bottom paint. Just say'n.
Sand it, clean it, two part primer & gelcoat will adhere quite nicely but why would anyone put on gelcoat below the waterline ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in