The $1 Dollar Boat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 195Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 208 Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter

Re: The $1 Dollar Boat

She is going to splash shortly believe or not. She does have new sails and an ok looking rig. I will be bending on sails and pointing the bow north. If she floats, she goes. I think she will, the hull looks like it was built like a tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hughes 38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

Ok so the follow up to splash has to be how long will it float? Then you must commit to a circumnavigation with it as is! I have the title for the trip "$1 around the world."

IF we move this thread to SA, we can take bets on:
How long it floats
How long before the Coasties are called.
Total miles sailed
We'll get sponsors and throw you a Delorme so we can track progress in real time.

Wait, we did this already.. Sorry Remus beat you do this, on a smaller boat, and less equipped. He outsailed (out bobbed) everyone's estimates.

Honestly, looks like a cool boat, but you are gonna lose your shirt in man hours and money to make her right. I do that every time I buy a boat... so welcome to the club!

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #13 of 208 Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter

Oh pleeeease. It's a week long trip for me with anchorages along the way. Mostly within sight of the shore. Watertight or close to it, good weather/wind (it is a sailboat) untie the lines, stick sails up, go.

After that, throw hundred dollar bills away on a regular basis.

Hughes 38

post #14 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
GreenasGrass

I have fixed up a lot of bargain buys in cars, boats, atv's, and snowmobiles. The great thing about fixing up cars when I was in high school is now I can fix up a lot of other stuff.

No we do not get our money back. It is the challenge, the exercise, the rewards of doing it yourself. Right?

Lots of sailboats for cheap where the owner gave up on the restoration. Many have been successful however. With a $1 initial investment, it is easy to get pumped about taking it on.

My own experience is that items that have received better care may prove to be better investments.

But then.....I am literally as green as grass with sailboats. Seriously.

Keep us posted if the meanies don't discourage you too much. We are somewhat well stocked with them.
post #15 of 208 Old 04-05-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I have fixed up a lot of bargain buys in cars, boats, atv's, and snowmobiles.
Hang on. You just bought your first boat. A fixer upper....

And you haven't tried sailing anything yet.
Lazerbrains likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
GreenasGrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hang on. You just bought your first boat. A fixer upper....

And you haven't tried sailing anything yet.
It is you who needs to hang on. I used my sailfish as a kid and sailboard as an adult. I also restored Dad's old boat not once, but twice. Wooden boats......... I also manned the wheel of a schooner that was well over 100' for some time.

Also.....when this boat arrives, it will be the third boat on my property. Still....."green as grass" is more, or less, fair.
post #17 of 208 Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter

My son gets it's honestly too I guess. He bought a truck for cheap and we worked on it together. He is only 15 and can't wait to get his drivers license when he turns 16. We just got it certified for the road. He saved every penny for it from his first part time job. He was happy as a clam driving me around on the back roads for the first time yesterday. We will be doing some camp outs, fishing and sharing the memories forever. Point is it's better to live life than to just plan all the time. Is it the best truck in the world, hardly. You wouldn't have known from the smile on his face.

The alt= Dollar Boat-img_0314.jpg

Hughes 38

post #18 of 208 Old 04-05-2017

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
It is you who needs to hang on. I used my sailfish as a kid and sailboard as an adult. I also restored Dad's old boat not once, but twice. Wooden boats......... I also manned the wheel of a schooner that was well over 100' for some time.

Also.....when this boat arrives, it will be the third boat on my property. Still....."green as grass" is more, or less, fair.
Oh, so you are changing the narrative so you can appear more relevant to giving advice?

R I g h t

Lazerbrains likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #19 of 208 Old 04-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
Oh pleeeease. It's a week long trip for me with anchorages along the way. Mostly within sight of the shore. Watertight or close to it, good weather/wind (it is a sailboat) untie the lines, stick sails up, go.

After that, throw hundred dollar bills away on a regular basis.
Subbed.

Naysayers will naysay, but it truly is a big project. Sailing it in that state does make me nervous, though. Even though it's a keel stepped design, you're still going to be putting huge forces into the cabin top, which is entirely rotten...and I'd visually verify the integrity of all the chainplates/mountings and every inch of the rig.

Good luck, will follow with interest. Great boat, in her glory days.

"Freedom is the increased knowledge of what you can do without." —Thoreau
post #20 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
GreenasGrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Oh, so you are changing the narrative so you can appear more relevant to giving advice?

R I g h t

You are just a purebred *****. The first name on my ignore list as memory serves.

Now if you want to follow legal guidelines, how many thousands of dollars are you willing to bet that I am 100% right and you are 100% wrong?

Do us a big favor and put me on your ignore list. That will lower board pollution and I won't have to correct your bs.

Also....get a life?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in