Dirt Free

Re: The $1 Dollar Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
You and a few other highly experienced internet sailors would either:
1) Piss in your panties.
2) Claim it wasn't true.

I'll pass. I have a few things to do.

This is a great thread. Let it live sans tacking.

I'm a bit surprised that you black souls have not managed to dampen the spirits of North Channel Sailor. After all, you folks bring "experience on a professional level".
You might consider that one of those internet sailors has actually examined the vessel in question. Have you ?

It's always struck me as funny that those with no education, training and little or no experience love to slam those who have acquired same at great expense over several decades.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 04-05-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
Well I could also put all my stock into what the last surveyer said. The po got a glowing survey not very long ago.
Can you honestly look at that video and put any credence in that "glowing" survey report ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #43 of 208 Old 04-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This is incorrect. Insurance companies base their premiums on claims statistics. I deal with all of them and doubt more than a handful even know TP1332 exists.
What standard is your $100k repair bill based on then?

post #44 of 208 Old 04-05-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
What standard is your $100k repair bill based on then?
The re-coring of everything above the rub rail, ABYC standards for AC & DC electrical, ABYC propane Standard, ABYC Fuel system Standard, Having done three of these total rebuilds myself (one of which is detailed on my website) 30 years experience, current ABYC Certified Corrosion Analyst, three transport Canada Masters tickets, SAMS Accreditation. One time IAMI Certified Marine Investigator One time ABYC Standards Certified and somewhere over 4000 surveys. Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer. somehwere around 200 deliveries between Antigua and Duluth Minnesota and over 24,000 hrs in my log book. There's some other stuff on the Qualifications page on my website.
and ...... I am familiar with the vessel in question.
amwbox likes this.

post #45 of 208 Old 04-05-2017

I wasn't really asking about your credentials. I was asking about your baseline.

Although being familiar with the vessel counts for something.
post #46 of 208 Old 04-05-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Can you honestly look at that video and put any credence in that "glowing" survey report ?
The good survey is just as irrelevant to me as your estimate. Sorry, no offence. Obviously the boat needs attention. Your assessment is probably closer to the fact than the survey I have in my hands right now. I just found it ironic that an equally qualified surveyor found the vessel in good condition and another does not. I know what the issues are. I have a plan and a budget. I also plan to enjoy the process and the sailing. Stay tuned folks.....
Skipper Jer, Minnesail and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hughes 38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by North Channel Sailor; 04-05-2017 at 11:36 PM.
post #47 of 208 Old 04-06-2017

Looks like a fun project, NCS. As long as you keep it a fun project, instead of desperately wrapping your life and your household budget around it, you're good to go. Working on an old boat definitely beats sitting around watching 'reality' TV... especially if you can rope the kid into giving you a hand.

Some of the best hours of my life were spent with my son, working on projects my wife considered a waste of time and money. I love her dearly, but she can be almost soul-killing 'practical' at times.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 04-06-2017 at 12:22 AM.
post #48 of 208 Old 04-06-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Looks like a fun project, NCS. As long as you keep it a fun project, instead of desperately wrapping your life and your household budget around it, you're good to go. Working on an old boat definitely beats sitting around watching 'reality' TV... especially if you can rope the kid into giving you a hand.

Some of the best hours of my life were spent with my son, working on projects my wife considered a waste of time and money. I love her dearly, but she can be almost soul-killing 'practical' at times.
Exactly, what else would I do with my spare time? I am just a regular guy with three kids, wife and mortgage still trying to make ends meet. I have no dilussions, that is the reality. Sometimes you just need to go out on a limb a little bit and do the things that bring you enjoyment. It's worth the risk. What's life without a little adventure.

Hughes 38

post #49 of 208 Old 04-06-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
The good survey is just as irrelevant to me as your estimate. Sorry, no offence. Obviously the boat needs attention. Your assessment is probably closer to the fact than the survey I have in my hands right now. I just found it ironic that an equally qualified surveyor found the vessel in good condition and another does not. I know what the issues are. I have a plan and a budget. I also plan to enjoy the process and the sailing. Stay tuned folks.....
I know every surveyor in Ontario (all 250) I love to know which one did that report.
or if you prefer not to name him could you please list his/her qualifications or at the very least the source of their Certification or Accreditation as a surveyor.

post #50 of 208 Old 04-06-2017
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I wasn't really asking about your credentials. I was asking about your baseline.

Although being familiar with the vessel counts for something.
My point in listing that information was to show that my estimate was based on a highly educated guess based on standards and experience not just the usual internet speculation.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in