Non Skid Deck Pads - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2017 Thread Starter
S/V Tranquility

Non Skid Deck Pads

I want to more aggressive with the non-skid on my decks. As I see it I have two choices:
Sand, Tape, Paint and Sprinkle grit/sand/etc., paint again.
Make a template of the areas of the deck I want to cover and buy adhesive non-skid pads.

Does anyone have experience using the pads? How difficult was it to make a template so that the pad looked good when installed? How was the installation?

Thanks

Capt. Ron
"If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there."
S/V Tranquility
Bristol 40
Hull #70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-12-2017

Re: Non Skid Deck Pads

If by 'pad' you're referring to the Treadmaster style of nonskid, I'd recommend against it if for no other reason that one day it will need removing and that's literally a major pain.(read back, knees, blisters, etc - don't ask how I know). It's also rather costly and a bit heavy looking (to my eye)

If you need strategic spots on common step points there's some pretty good self adhesive nonskid tape in various widths and colours - however there's some bad product out there too. 3M seems reliable.

If it's a full deck re-do on your nonskid the product Kiwi Grip gets pretty solid reviews from users.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Aimlessness (05-12-2017)
post #3 of 12 Old 05-12-2017

Go with Kiwi Grip - best non skid on the market, easy to apply and wears like iron.

Gary
oysterman23 and sailforlife like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlin-easy For This Useful Post:
Aimlessness (05-12-2017)

post #4 of 12 Old 05-12-2017 Thread Starter
S/V Tranquility

Thank you. There's a boat here that has the pads I haven't met the owner but seemed to me to be a decent alternative to the paint type non-skid. After reading what you wrote I remembered seeing pictures of a boat with the pads in bad condition nothing mentioned about the process of removal, but I get your point. It must be awful.

Thanks again. I'll be sanding, taping, and painting next month.

Capt. Ron
"If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen out there."
S/V Tranquility
Bristol 40
Hull #70
post #5 of 12 Old 05-12-2017

Do investigate Kiwi Grip over 'paint and grit'.. I think any Benjamin Moore can tint it for you if you don't like the stock colours. Remember to avoid dark shades, they get very hot underfoot in the sun. Even gray needs to be very very light; white coolest of all.

Interlux's Interdeck one part poly has a nice grip without an aggressive pattern, but tends to hold dirt tenaciously and is difficult to clean. From what I've seen Kiwigrip is a good option, 'adjustable' texture, range of colours and an effective nonskid.

Ron

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Aimlessness (05-13-2017)
post #6 of 12 Old 05-12-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimlessness View Post
I want to more aggressive with the non-skid on my decks. As I see it I have two choices:
Sand, Tape, Paint and Sprinkle grit/sand/etc., paint again.
Make a template of the areas of the deck I want to cover and buy adhesive non-skid pads.

Does anyone have experience using the pads? How difficult was it to make a template so that the pad looked good when installed? How was the installation?

Thanks
I recently went through the same decision process, after my disastrous experience with Durabak, see https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...rid-stuff.html That thread has a discussion about treadmaster vs. Kiwigrip vs traditional 'aggregate in paint' methods. Gary is clearly a big fan of Kiwigrip. While I respect his judgement and experience, others were more critical of the product, see the thread.

In the end, I decided to use an aggregate made for this purpose and recommended by Practical Sailor (Awlgrip Griptex) in a one-part polyurethane paint (Brightside). Won't repeat the details here, read the thread for details. Application went very well and so far it looks and performs perfectly but of course it is on only for a few weeks. Time will tell how it performs over the long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to MastUndSchotbruch For This Useful Post:
Aimlessness (05-13-2017)
post #7 of 12 Old 05-12-2017

We used Awlgrip Griptex (mixed grade) with Awlgrip paint a number of years back sprayed on. Found it kinda slippery until the paint wore down a bit from 'traffic'. Nice uniform appearance, though.

Ron

post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2017

3M makes a wide range of nonskids called "Safety Walk" that appear to stick down pretty well. Some are only .9mm thick and come in rolls about 4' x 50' if you need that much. The Coast Guard uses an aggressive version on the decks of its cutters. There are other similar products that aren't as clunky as Treadmaster.
Product Catalogue:*3M? Safety-Walk? 600 Series General Purpose Tapes
post #9 of 12 Old 05-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We used Awlgrip Griptex (mixed grade) with Awlgrip paint a number of years back sprayed on. Found it kinda slippery until the paint wore down a bit from 'traffic'. Nice uniform appearance, though.
(emphasis added)

There are four grades of Awlgrip Griptex: fine, medium, coarse, extra-coarse. I knew I wanted aggressive non-skid and selected extra-coarse. Not all chandleries carry it; Defender offered to special-order when I did not find it on their webpage but I gave my business to Jamestown who carry it as a matter of course.

The result is at least as aggressive as Durabak with which I was very happy in this respect, until it failed abysmally. Kneeling on the deck is uncomfortable which is exactly what I want.

Full disclosure: my brushed [EDIT: rolled-on] paint probably does not have the perfect uniform appearance that you got with the sprayed-on version but I can live with that.

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 05-14-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-14-2017
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If by 'pad' you're referring to the Treadmaster style of nonskid, I'd recommend against it if for no other reason that one day it will need removing and that's literally a major pain.(read back, knees, blisters, etc - don't ask how I know). It's also rather costly and a bit heavy looking (to my eye)

If you need strategic spots on common step points there's some pretty good self adhesive nonskid tape in various widths and colours - however there's some bad product out there too. 3M seems reliable.

If it's a full deck re-do on your nonskid the product Kiwi Grip gets pretty solid reviews from users.
I just removed about 200 Sq. Feet of treadmaster, and I have to tell you it was work, and I have not even started the sanding, filling and fairing. Mine got to be old and brittle, and would cut up any skin that managed to slip/slide over the surface. It was glued down with epoxy, and that made for some tough removal. My hands and knees bear the scars of removing this stuff. As a note, it was around 20 years old.

I was watching the Boatworks Today youtube channel, and he applied a nonskid using Awlgrip and Soft Sand Rubber, and he really loved the outcome. I am thinking of trying this if I can a reply back from him on the long term hold up of this product. here is a link to the video:

here is a picture of my treadmaster removal on my deck, which I have just completed yesterday:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in