New to Dyneema, want to make lifelines - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 06-05-2017

Re: New to Dyneema, want to make lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
.....a boat in New England may only be exposed 120 days and sitting under a cover the rest of the year.......
Good point. But my cover doesn't go on until roughly Dec 1, after a Nov 1 haulout. It comes off roughly Mar 1 to prep for an Apr 1 splash. That's only 90 days under the cover or twice as much as you suggested to be exposed to UV. Someday it will be zero days under the cover!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-11-2017

I suggest terminating each end of each lifeline with a sailmakers thimble, and using multiple turns of smaller stuff--dacron, whatever, to lash the terminals to the stancheons. That will make it adjustable, which you'll need as the stuff will stretch at first. And you can't knot dyneema--you have to splice it. Use a brummel splice and tuck twice as long a tail as you would with a dacron rope. I went with, I think, 5/16 or 3/8. 1/4" is strong enough but I wanted something easier to grab.
Brion Toss's "Rigger's Apprentice" tells how to make a brummel splice when you don't have access to each end of the rope--which you won't after you've made the first terminal and threaded the rope through the stancheons.
Minnesail likes this.
post #33 of 39 Old 06-11-2017

The nice thing about the uncovered dyneema is that it is very easy to inspect for chafe. It is also relatively cheap and easy to replace.
Minnesail likes this.

Dave
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

47⁰20'11.7" N
122⁰35'20.8" W
M/V Kinship, North Pacific 43
Formerly
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328

post #34 of 39 Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter

So I finally got around to installing the Dyneema lifelines. It's kind of a chore to splice it, and I'm afraid my splices don't look very good. I'm they'd better with practice. Getting the length right is tricky. Making the splice shortens the line by about 2" (found that out the hard way) so you have to take that into account when measuring. And it wants to stretch a bit right away, so make it a bit shorter than you'd think.

Because of the way my hardware fit I had to leave one of the old turnbuckles in there along with the new hardware. I'm glad I did because that gives me that much more room for adjustment!

Anyway, they're in. They look good, except for my bodgy splices. They're nice and soft to grab ahold of. It didn't take that long. I'd probably do it again.

My second Dyneema splice, slightly out of focus:

At first the splices look good, it's once I put the locking stitches through that they start to look hacked:

Here you can see the extra turnbuckle that I needed to keep from the previous lifelines to make the new hardware fit. As I said, I'm glad for the extra adjustment room. You can also see my KiwiGrip, holding up nicely:

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Last edited by Minnesail; 06-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #35 of 39 Old 07-22-2017

I have read several threads about Dyneema lifelines. I would like to hang netting from my lifelines as I hope to be sailing with my grandkids. Is this a definite no no due to the chafing issue?
Bruce
post #36 of 39 Old 07-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
I have read several threads about Dyneema lifelines. I would like to hang netting from my lifelines as I hope to be sailing with my grandkids. Is this a definite no no due to the chafing issue?
Bruce
It will be fine. Dyneema is not particularly subject to chaff, the ISAF concern over chaff has to do with big boats, massive spinnakers, and allowing the spin sheet rub against the lifeline she while using overspeed winches to trim the kite.

I have seen large dyneema lines polish concrete docks without damaging the line. Rubbing against nylon netting will do absolutly nothing to it.

Greg
post #37 of 39 Old 08-03-2017

As I mentioned in my previous post here, this thread made me consider going this route for my lifeline project. Well I thought I would give an update as I am pleased at how it went.

I have double lifelines with gates on each side, so a bit complicated. I went with the silver/grey Dyneema in 1/4" (6mm) as it had the same OD as my old covered ones. I like it. It almost looks like stainless steel. I didn't want to go the lashing route, but the cost of all new CS Johnson turnbuckles and gate hooks was scary. I realized I could reuse my old ones by just buying the threaded studs. Got them from Defender on sale for about $18 each. Worked out well and saved a lot of $.

I used a simple bury splice and found it fairly quick and easy. Used thin whipping thread to lock the spice. I had the fid and pusher from a set I had gotten to do double braid splices a number of years ago.
Minnesail likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #38 of 39 Old 08-06-2017

I also replaced my lifelines with the silver 1/4" Dyneema. And I also adapted my old pelican hooks with threaded studs. It was a 4 hour job start to finish, as I was learning how to splice at the same time.
How tight have you made the new lifelines? I think I will be making mine a little tighter than they are currently.
$ wise, and time-wise this was so do-able!
Minnesail likes this.
post #39 of 39 Old 08-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceyp View Post
I also replaced my lifelines with the silver 1/4" Dyneema. And I also adapted my old pelican hooks with threaded studs. It was a 4 hour job start to finish, as I was learning how to splice at the same time.
How tight have you made the new lifelines? I think I will be making mine a little tighter than they are currently.
$ wise, and time-wise this was so do-able!
Glad your project also went well. I definitely have my new Dyneema lifelines tighter than I had the old covered SS ones. They are much more flexible than the old ones, and just seemed to need to be tightened a bit more to feel "right". I also found they tended to stretch a bit initially as the spliced tightened. Glad I had the ability to adjust that quickly using the turnbuckles rather than having to redo lashings.
Minnesail likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in