Chain galvanizing - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By paulk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-27-2017 Thread Starter

Chain galvanizing

Need to re-galvanize my anchor chair.. My marina says "all the liberal tree huggers" has done away with that business in the Chesapeake Bay Area..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-27-2017

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: Chain galvanizing

While it can be fun to blame "all the liberal tree huggers" when I called around I found that the galvanizers had enough business already and did not want to mess with small amounts of labor intensive chain.

https://www.galvanizeit.org/galvaniz...i4zNDAyODc0In0
post #3 of 7 Old 05-28-2017

You might both be saying the same thing. Environmental restrictions may have put the small shops out of business. I'm good with not putting toxic chemicals in the earth or air, but wouldn't be surprised that smaller shop couldn't afford to upgrade to the safety standards. They are often draconian and based upon zero tolerance, not smart science.

I'm not sure if re-galvanizing anchor chain is the way to go. Used chain loses some of it's strength, just by using it. If the galvanizing has come off, perhaps it's lost a bit more, due to corrosion. Unfortunately, chain is a wear item and needs to be replace after a while. I think rinsing the locker down with fresh water helps significantly extend chain life. Eventually, you have to bite the bullet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
timangiel (05-28-2017)

post #4 of 7 Old 05-28-2017

I read Fatty Goodlander's book on anchoring recently. He calls it creative anchoring. He has a cycle where his 300' or so of anchor chain is regalvavized. He keeps on using it. He also anchors in the worst conditions that demand a lot from his gear. From his experience I would and plan to have my chain regalvanized. However that will likely not be done in the US.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-28-2017

The river that is our anchorage had a battery factory on it. (Exide. You've probably heard of them. Not a mom & pop operation.) They apparently didn't pay much attention to the environment and closed the factory- without having followed the law too carefully. Swans eating from the sediment developed lead poisoning and died. Cygnets had birth defects and died. Geese, ducks, egrets and other shorebirds suffered as well. Shellfish and crabs were unsafe to eat. Sailors were advised not to even swim in the harbor. Signs posted midchannel by the Board of Health discouraged canoes and kayaks from paddling up river. Dredging up the sediment and removing the lead has made it possible to now eat the crabs and shellfish, and birds are born without birth defects. The chrome-plating company across the river from the battery plant has been in operation since 1946. It does not seem to have had runoff and other environmental problems, despite the toxic nature of their materials. Environmental cleanup is expensive, and there are reasons for having laws that keep pollution from happening. Having clean air and water means fewer illnesses and lower medical bills for everyone. If it makes small-scale galvanizing less profitable perhaps the solution is to consolidate chain from several boats and have it all done at once. There's more than one way to skin a cat. (Don't tell PETA I said that.)
svselkie02 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-30-2017

I live in Philadelphia and looked around pretty hard a few years ago. Long story short I could. It find any place to do it. I even carted the chain to a guy in Newark, NJ who has some new tangled process. After testing the chain and finding it good he let it set in his shop for a few weeks and then said he was not interested. I bought new chain.

BUT....there is a guy in Rio Dulce who does it. Great excuse to go there!

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #7 of 7 Old 05-30-2017

Baltimore Galvanizing and Southern Galvanizing, both in Baltimore, are still in business and both do hot dip galvanizing, which is the best. However, if your anchor chain is really rusty, it will have to first be sand blasted in order for them to galvanize the chain. The cost of both the cleaning and galvanizing may be cost prohibitive, making it less expensive to purchase a new chain from a reliable, and inexpensive source.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in