yanmar 2gm20f - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 05-29-2017 Thread Starter

yanmar 2gm20f

Hi all, new to sail boating and having a tough time finding the correct raw water pump for a yanmar 2gm20f.
The boat is a 303 Pearson 1986, with the above mentioned engine. Pulled the pump and cant find a part # on it. So many cross referenced numbers and pump manufactures and prices. Anyone else with this engine have to replace the raw water pump and what way did they go?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-29-2017

Re: yanmar 2gm20f

The short answer is just call your local Yanmar dealer. They will be happy to sell your a new pump. Just be prepared to be take a bit aback. Price is going to be in the $500 range.

An alternative is going to a site like Depco Pump Company. Will typically save some $$.

What's the issue? A rebuild will be the least expensive option.
RichH likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 10 Old 05-30-2017 Thread Starter

The pump has a drip out of the weep hole.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

Seals are done. Rebuilds don't last very long, so new is in order. These pumps are a wear item, unfortunately, and they are expensive.

Yanmar protects territories, so I'm not sure you can use the same online resource that I use. But here is there parts listing for your motor.

TOAD Marine Supply

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper53 View Post
As Minne says, the seals have gone bad. So either buy a new one or rebuild it. I had mine rebuilt by the local Yanmar dealer when I had the same issue and it has been running fine for about 5 years. Cost was about half the cost of a new pump. While not for a Yanmar pump, here's a link to an excellent article about how to do it if you want to try it yourself.
Rebuilding A Raw Water Pump Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper53 View Post
If the shaft isn't scored/worn, these pumps can easily be rebuilt by replacing the seals and the bearings.

If youre handy and have access to an arbor press (or very large bench vise) ..... the only 'problem' will be setting up the clearances between the bearings and seals; so, measure carefully using 'wire gages' to obtain the as-installed clearance dimensions. Some Yanmar water pumps sometimes require these special 'clearances' ... so measure before you disassemble.
The bearings and seals can be obtained through common industrial bearing national distributorships such as: Bearings Inc. or Callahan Inc. (every large town in industrial/farming areas usually has both of them).

If you KNOW how to remove such bearings and seals, just take them to such distributorships and have them do the measuring .... or identify the parts by their indicated ID stamped on the body of the part (Yanmar, etc. doesn't make bearings and seals!).
If the shaft is slightly scored or worn, you can consider to 'dress' the shaft and install new bearings and seals to the new dimensions .... if you know how to 'set up' a press fit / interference fit (take careful note of the 'clearances' between bearings and seals when disassembling. The smaller Yanmar distributors and authorized mechanics (usually at larger marinas) sometimes can do this for you; but, at always horrendous 'marina prices'.
Another (much cheaper) source for repair would be your local automotive machinist (every moderate sized town has one) - you ID, purchase and take the new bearings and seals with you. Will be a bargain if the shaft isn't scored/worn.
... material cost for both seals (water and oil seals)will be about ≈$30.00 from an industrial distributor; you might as well change the bearings 'while you're at it'.

About $60-80 for all the needed parts, an additional ≈$75.00 for an automotive machinist to do the 'pressing' and set up .... or you could simply throw about $450 towards a new pump.

Last edited by RichH; 05-30-2017 at 11:55 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

Last year a friend changed his out, same engine.. up here in the North the cost was just under $900 CDN uninstalled. During that same week we changed the cylinder head & gasket on our engine for $600... go figure.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

The problem is that most major parts/components of obsolete and nearly obsolete engine models carry a hefty inventory charge to make up for the losses incurred for having that part sitting on the shelf burning up a lot of $$ and 'interest' to carry that (dead) inventory. Plus increasingly, in many of the more leftist / 'progressive' parts of the world there are - (yearly) 'inventory taxes' which must be also continually added to the basic price.

For obsolete Yanmars (over 17-20 years since the ending of that model's production run) most 'major' parts are at a minimum of $400 each, .... IF the parts are somewhere still in the 'distributor network' inventory.
After about 25-30 years after the 'end of the model's production run', expect 'nada' to be in stock.

Possible remedy: buy up an old low-hour engine from a wreck, etc. and use that investment to supply your ancient/antique engine with a ready stream of available spare parts.

Last edited by RichH; 05-30-2017 at 12:26 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-30-2017

When the parts guy said $500 for a Johnson 904B pump I said "Gee, I thought it was brass but it must be gold at that price." Even the dealers are frustrated by the way Yanmar changes part numbers seemingly quarterly without reason.

"Just call me TB"
post #10 of 10 Old 05-30-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I ordered a new pump and will rebuild the old as a back up.
I need to get it done by Saturday as my wife and I have a 4 day sailing school on the boat.
Mine did take the 500$ pump not the 220$.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in