In Real Life - Gear Talk vs. Gear Reality - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-01-2017 Thread Starter
Banned

In Real Life - Gear Talk vs. Gear Reality

I've recently been doing some GeekZone videos that cover how various pieces of equipment, electronics, software, applications, etc. perform in real life under real sailing conditions. I'll keep that up and will post links to such videos, blog posts, etc. here when I do them and think they are applicable.

I'd like to encourage others to do the same so we can have a centralized thread of what REALLY works and what doesn't - IRL - when it comes to different kinds of gear. When newb sailors are researching this stuff, it's always great to separate theory from reality. So, let's do this.

A quick example I can start with is a comparison of a crappy Jabsco water regulator purchased at West Marine for $54 which failed after 6-8 months, and a WAY better Shurflo chrome regulator purchased from Amazon for $37 (it's $65 at West Marine). The new Jabsco was replacing an older Jabsco which had also failed.

The Shurflow is still going strong 2 years later. So which would you rather have - IRL?

I'll also be covering other things like LED bulbs, for example. As I posted here a couple of years ago, I purchased some of the cheap LED bulbs off Amazon to replace the incandescents in the fixtures on DAWN TREADER. They've been great.

As a test, I powered a couple of the bulbs NON-STOP for a year - 24 hours a day. No problems at all. Still going strong. I'm impressed.

So, lots more to come. Stay tuned.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-01-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-01-2017
Barquito

Re: In Real Life - Gear Talk vs. Gear Reality

Thanks for the videos, Smack. Well thought-out critique of the crap we buy for our boats is always welcome. However, we need power in numbers! Hopefully, we can get more contributions from those with experience with the equipment you review. Personally, if I can't find a coin to flip, I prefer to have at least a few anecdotal experiences with big or important equipment choices.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 30 Old 06-01-2017
May God Bless You

What a great idea! i hope that others follow your lead. Will make it better for all of us.
May i also suggest that the background music is too loud. It is hard to hear your voice.
thanks for the work
jon

post #4 of 30 Old 06-01-2017 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
What a great idea! i hope that others follow your lead. Will make it better for all of us.
May i also suggest that the background music is too loud. It is hard to hear your voice.
thanks for the work
jon
Thanks longjon.

You're right about the background music. This was a very early video I did using YouTube's native editor. It sucked. There was very little control over audio levels and lots of other technical issues that came up. I now use iMovie. I've also used both Final Cut and Premiere in the past and have them both on my laptop - but iMovie does everything I need it to and is way faster and easier to use - and it integrates directly with Youtube. It rocks.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-01-2017 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-03-2017

If I understand correctly, you are encouraging us to post our gear reviews on this thread? I'm working on a video review for my 2017 Honda 2.3 today, so that's the sort of things you'd like to see?
post #6 of 30 Old 06-03-2017

Great idea smack, may I offer one tiny suggestion? Put the music way in the background instead of the foreground. I can barley hear you.
oysterman23 likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #7 of 30 Old 06-03-2017 Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
If I understand correctly, you are encouraging us to post our gear reviews on this thread? I'm working on a video review for my 2017 Honda 2.3 today, so that's the sort of things you'd like to see?
Exactly arc. Whatever gear is sailing/sailboat related - show how it works in real life...good, bad, and ugly.

The problem is that many of these types of videos and reviews are buried in specific threads dealing with just that item which is okay - but they can sink out of sight much more quickly; then newer ones are posted in new threads and it become a mess. It'd be a lot cooler to have reviews of all kinds in one place.

So float 'em if you got 'em.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-03-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-03-2017

Honda 2.3 Outboard Review

smackdaddy likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old 06-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

I'd like to encourage others to do the same so we can have a centralized thread of what REALLY works and what doesn't - IRL - when it comes to different kinds of gear. When newb sailors are researching this stuff, it's always great to separate theory from reality.
Referring to what I placed in bold above. Theory is reality but everyone thinks they have a "theory" which is actually a hypothesis usually supported by anecdotal evidence and may or may not match reality. Just so we can be accurate with reality and not add to more misconception about science. Just a science Geek being anal.
TakeFive likes this.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-04-2017 Thread Starter
Banned

No worries rat. I suppose I was thinking that the gear we buy is by nature past the hypothetical stage - at least that's what the marketing tells us. Such gear is sold, very expensively, on the basis of "well-proven theory" (e.g. - that the Jabsco device will successfully regulate water from a hose over time). Yet, such theory is often proven wrong by laws such as the second law of thermodynamics - often just beyond the warranty period. And the thing blows water everywhere like a piece of crappy junk. Heh-heh.

But you're right. The terminology is a bit suspect.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in