Roller Furling Bearing Replacement - Necessary to take down entire furling system!? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-05-2017 Thread Starter

Exclamation Roller Furling Bearing Replacement - Necessary to take down entire furling system!?

After several hours of research I finally learned I have a Stearns Twinstay One #8 roller furling system. The bottom bearings need replacing. Rig-rite has the parts available. Oddly though, they are insisting I buy the full top & bottom bearing replacement kit. Which I'm fine with just to have in case the top fails down the road.

What I'm struggling with is their insistence that the whole furling system must come down to make ANY repairs. At one point someone I spoke with at Rig-rite said the bottom bearing could "theoretically" be replaced with the system still in place, but then the gentleman suddenly rescinded the statement. They haven't been able to give me a reason why it must come down. What's going on here? Has anyone dealt with this?

For obvious reasons I'd much prefer to leave it up and fix what's broken now and worry about the rest in the off season. I've played around with the system enough to know I can access it fairly easily.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3528.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-05-2017

Re: Roller Furling Bearing Replacement - Necessary to take down entire furling system

IIRC the Stearns system was very different in that the foil IS the headstay (unlike most all the others where the foil is installed over a conventional wire & turnbuckle forestay.)

So for one thing, (If I've remembered correctly) working on the bearing means removing the 'forestay'. If you leave the top connected I can imagine some issues trying to work on the bearing that way...

You can temporarily support the rig with tensioned halyards. Proceed with caution, I'd say..

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2017

Re: Roller Furling Bearing Replacement - Necessary to take down entire furling system

It's been a long time since I saw one of those! Faster is right that they ARE the forestay. That means that unlike systems with internal forestay, the bearings also take the full forestay load. I seem to recall them being held together with wedges. When they gave trouble, we mostly replaced them with a more modern design. Probably more cost effective at the time.

But if Rig-Rite have parts and can offer advice on how to do the job, no reason not to try. Provided that is that the parts cost are not almost the cost of a replacement.

From what I recall (and to be honest my memory on these is hazy) , they were not that easy to get apart. I am sure you will want complete system on the ground or in a workshop. Probably need a vice. You will need to do that first anyway to find out which parts are needed. At that point you haven't spent any $$ and can still reconsider!

If you leave system up this summer, presumably you can just use it as a foil and remove sails when not in use.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2017

It's kind of a goofy foil anyhow, with the grooves facing 180 degrees from each other, even as a non furling foil I don't see how that can work well for sail changes.

Given the age of the whole assembly for peace of mind I think I'd upgrade to a more modern furler.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 5 Old 06-06-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaPilotMark View Post
After several hours of research I finally learned I have a Stearns Twinstay One #8 roller furling system. The bottom bearings need replacing. Rig-rite has the parts available. Oddly though, they are insisting I buy the full top & bottom bearing replacement kit. Which I'm fine with just to have in case the top fails down the road.

What I'm struggling with is their insistence that the whole furling system must come down to make ANY repairs. At one point someone I spoke with at Rig-rite said the bottom bearing could "theoretically" be replaced with the system still in place, but then the gentleman suddenly rescinded the statement. They haven't been able to give me a reason why it must come down. What's going on here? Has anyone dealt with this?

For obvious reasons I'd much prefer to leave it up and fix what's broken now and worry about the rest in the off season. I've played around with the system enough to know I can access it fairly easily.

Then try it. I've replace Seafurl bearings with great success, but that is different.

Sail Delmarva: Hood Seafurl 800 Bearing Replacement

But is it so difficult to take the forestay down, other than two trips up the mast? I bet it would be easier. Either way, you need to disconnect the forestay and rig a replacement (two halyards forward works fine). The only real problem is that the marina probably won't let you climb it on the hard. So launch it and work on it on a week day (fewer wakes).

Another alternative is to simply use it as a foil, pulling the sail down when finished. Racers do it that way at every change. If it is difficult to hoist, get two feet of luff tape from Sailrite and cut in half. Put grommets in both ends. Soak one in solvent and haul it up and down a few times. Soak the other in Sailkote and haul that up and down a few times. Also spray the luff tape on the sail. Should go easy.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 06-06-2017 at 02:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (06-06-2017)

Tags
bearings , replacement , rigging , roller furling , twinstay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in