Simrad HLD2000 MK2L Drive Motor Brush Replacement - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-23-2017 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Simrad HLD2000 MK2L Drive Motor Brush Replacement

Althought I posted the following on the CF Forum earlier, against the possibility that some members here are not also CF members, I am reposting here as well:

I'm wondering if anyone here abouts has had the experience of replacing the brushes in the drive motor of the Simrad HLD2000 MK2L linear hydraulic drive. On our most recent cruise our normally bullet proof auto-pilot gave up the ghost shortly after we had passed the PNR ("point of no return"). As we had previously cruised many, many years without an "Otto" we carried on but the subsequent two weeks of abjectly lousy weather and rough seas made the absence of a reliable, strong, autopilot a real issue on long "legs" off-shore.

Upon our return, our electronics tech--Steve at Jaytron, in Bradenton, Fla--indicated that the power transistors in our autopilot computer had failed and that such failures were often caused by the build-up of carbon dust in the A/P drive motor due to the wear of the brushes. While he is replacing the transistors, he also suggested I "suction out" the motor to remove carbon dust; and, replace the brushes in the motor for our linear hydraulic drive unit. Looking at the thing (see below), I can't see obvious brush mounting caps and I'm wondering it anyone has dealt with this issue with this drive in past and can offer any incite.

Snaps below. Any insight/suggestions/observations will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
HLD2000 MK2L.jpg   HLD200 MK2L End Cap.jpg  

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-23-2017

Re: Simrad HLD2000 MK2L Drive Motor Brush Replacement

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root...50-2000_EN.pdf

The manual shows parts including brushes and brush caps. Also seems you need to determine if you have a LEMAC or Fracmo motor.. From your pics I suspect Lemac, because there's a drawing of the Fracmo brush cap that doesn't seem to be on your motor.

Maybe you need to remove the end cap?

Shame, there are good drawings of the drive unit but none of the motor. Some versions of the motors used have obvious brush caps... it's a mystery!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2017 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
https://www.simrad-yachting.com/Root...50-2000_EN.pdf

The manual shows parts including brushes and brush caps. Also seems you need to determine if you have a LEMAC or Fracmo motor.. From your pics I suspect Lemac, because there's a drawing of the Fracmo brush cap that doesn't seem to be on your motor.

Maybe you need to remove the end cap?

Shame, there are good drawings of the drive unit but none of the motor. Some versions of the motors used have obvious brush caps... it's a mystery!
Ron--

Thanks for the note. I was finally able to get a replacement brush part number from Navico. Unfortunately, however, finding the brushes is another matter. Navico doesn't have them and an extended google search was unsuccessful. Further, the Navico tech didn't know how the brushes might be replaced. I did find a technician locally that indicated the brush mounts are under the black plastic band that, in theory, should slide off once the retaining screw shown in the snap is removed. If so, the issue becomes finding the replacement brushes. We'll see I guess.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

post #4 of 11 Old 06-23-2017

When I googled the motor number quite a few brushes of various sizes/shapes came up, but most of the links indicated 'out of stock'.. could be a tough one.

The 'brush retainer ring' makes sense...

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2017 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
When I googled the motor number quite a few brushes of various sizes/shapes came up, but most of the links indicated 'out of stock'.. could be a tough one.

The 'brush retainer ring' makes sense...
Ron--

The brushes are 6mm x 9mm x 18.2mm. I have been told that somewhat larger brushes can be "milled" to size to work. The trick will be matching, or replacing, the mounting clips with the originals if that becomes necessary. Navico lists the brushes at $70 a set, when/if, available. I have found other, similar, brushes for $12-$18 but, again, sizing is the issue. I'll be darned, however, if I'm going to spend $300 for a replacement motor simply for the want of the proper brushes. Unfortunately, it seems that too often sailors are forced to buy costly replacement equipment for the want of small inexpensive parts. Since brushes are consumable, it would seem reasonable to include at least one set of replacements with the motors/drives when new to begin with. Has I realized the need, I'd have obtained spares separate and apart myself. Live'n learn I guess. We'll see.

For others with Simrad HLD2000's of later vintage, I suggest you buy replacement/spare brushes while they're available for the current, newer, drive motors. I discovered an obscure technical bulletin from Simrad that suggested the brushes should be replaced at 1000 hours. Unfortunately, the bulletin went to Simrad field technicians but not owner/buyers. One can get 1000 hours on a drive pretty quickly, relatively speaking, when cruising.

FWIW...

post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2017

A tad off subject but our windlass ate one of the brushes. Being stuck in Palm Bay Fl and wanting to get under way I went to the local alternator starter motor rebuild shop. After searching thru maybe 400 boxes of brushes we found one that would work with some work with a file. So I suggest you take the motor apart, take the brushes to a rebuild shop and have a go at it. And the trick of putting it back together is to tie the brushes back in the holder with sewing thread. Once the brushes are positioned correctly, cut the thread and remove. Good luck.

And the carbon brush store http://graphitestore.com/Carbon-Brushes/Brushes I have no connection with them, just found them via Google.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Last edited by Skipper Jer; 06-24-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2017 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
A tad off subject but our windlass ate one of the brushes. Being stuck in Palm Bay Fl and wanting to get under way I went to the local alternator starter motor rebuild shop. After searching thru maybe 400 boxes of brushes we found one that would work with some work with a file. So I suggest you take the motor apart, take the brushes to a rebuild shop and have a go at it. And the trick of putting it back together is to tie the brushes back in the holder with sewing thread. Once the brushes are positioned correctly, cut the thread and remove. Good luck.

And the carbon brush store Brushes I have no connection with them, just found them via Google.
Thank you for that lead. It is one my own searches did not turn up. I'll connect with the Company and see if they can help. Even if I have to file down one of their standard sizes somewhat, it's a good lead and I do appreciate the help.

Cheers!

post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2017 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

To finish off this thread, I did find replacement brushes. An elderly local electronics technician that was well acquainted with our drive had a set in his spare parts cabinet that he sold me for $70 USD. As it occurred, however, when we pulled the existing brushes out--which are concealed under the black plastic band appearing in the photos--they showed very little wear and we found almost no carbon dust in the motor itself. So we reinstalled them and have the replacements in our spares locker.

One other thing I discovered during this exercise. Evidently we blew a seal in the hydraulics that allowed hydraulic oil to escape every time the drive was activated. The leaking oil had run down, under the drive and under the steering quadrant, where it could not easily be observed. So, our problem was lack of oil rather than a failure of the drive motor or the J300 nav-computer's power transistors. So, now working on extracting the entire drive assembly for a rebuild.

FWIW...

Last edited by svHyLyte; 44 Minutes Ago at 07:28 AM. Reason: correct typo
post #9 of 11 Old 6 Hours Ago

You can contact this person and he will help you.
https://carbonbrushgroup.com/
post #10 of 11 Old 39 Minutes Ago

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
...One other thing I discovered during this exercise. Evidently we blew a seal in the hydraulics that allowed hydraulic oil to escape every time the drive was activated. The leaking oil had run down, under the drive and under the steering quadrant, where it could not easily be observed. So, our problem was lack of oil...
Good that you found that problem. The Sailing Yacht Platino accident in 2016 was a result of similar conditions. Ended very badly.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in