Dorade vent cowl restoration - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 06-28-2017

Re: Dorade vent cowl restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
JimsCal, that was to be my next solution having gotten the surfaces as clean snd smooth as possible Valspar makes paint for vinyl and plastics which has the right "coefficient of expansion" to remain uncracked. If yours had held up thats a good sign for this approach
k
The Rustoleum paint and preparation quoted above does work well for this type of application and exposure (at least 5 years on some of my cowls) Lacquer thinner can be used instead of acetone. It is/was mostly acetone anyway, but there are now different formulations that may not be as effective. PBBlaster is a penetrating oil for rusted fasteners. Not sure what it exactly contains (mostly naphtha and petroleum oil?) but surprised it would be useful here especially before painting.

In summary - get surface clean with soap and water, clean again with acetone, abrade slightly with sandpaper. Remove sanding residue, spray with Rustoleum special Plastic Paint.
oysterman23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 06-28-2017

Agree with the Rustoleum treatment. This is what I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #13 of 32 Old 07-31-2017 Thread Starter
Barquito

To follow-up. I ended up spray painting them with what was described as , 'for plastic' paint. The two cowls I have are different (previous owner probably lost one). The paint looks fine on both. However, on one it remains tacky. I am going to attach lanyards to keep them from going overboard. Batting .500 on this project.
Attached Thumbnails
cowl.jpg  

Valiant 32

post #14 of 32 Old 08-01-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

If you find the 'for plastic' paint starts to crack because it is designed to BOND to plastic, but it is not flexible?

DupliColor makes "bumper paint" and "vinyl paint" that are designed to flex. Available in the larger auto stores. And IIRC Rustoleum and Krylon both make vinyl paints now. There's also one from one of the marine suppliers, designed to recoat MOB covers and fenders, probably only available in white.

Sometimes if paint is being reluctant to dry, you can mist it with "Japan drier" from the hardware store, or something from the auto boy supply, that will help pull off whatever solvents are still hiding in it. With care that it doesn't dissolve the base material itself.
post #15 of 32 Old 08-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
Then tried various things, but I think acetone worked best. .
^^This^^ is what I do. Dampen a rag with some acetone and wipe them clean as new. Use just enough acetone to dampen the rag, no more. Works great for vinyl coated lifelines as well - makes them white as new.
post #16 of 32 Old 08-01-2017

I was reading a post the other day on Facebook, a do it yourself sailing page and a guy had all these tips for using denture cleaner tablets but I guess it's too late you've already painted them.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-01-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 08-01-2017

My cowls and lifelines get sticky without painting! Not sure if it is because we are on flight path to nearby airport and exhaust fumes cause it.

The part about thorough cleaning and using acetone before painting IS important.

Hopefully your sticky paint will dry out in the sun
post #18 of 32 Old 08-02-2017

The stickiness is caused by the acetone.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #19 of 32 Old 08-02-2017 Thread Starter
Barquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
My cowls and lifelines get sticky without painting! Not sure if it is because we are on flight path to nearby airport and exhaust fumes cause it.

The part about thorough cleaning and using acetone before painting IS important.

Hopefully your sticky paint will dry out in the sun
I imagine it will always be sticky. That's OK. I will use it until it is all covered with bugs and dog hair, then replace.

Valiant 32
post #20 of 32 Old 08-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
The stickiness is caused by the acetone.
Really? Funny that after 40 years of using acetone on lifelines, pvc cowls and rubrails, I haven't noticed that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in