Splicing plait line to anchor chain - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RichH
  • 1 Post By RichH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2017 Thread Starter

Splicing plait line to anchor chain

Who do you go to splice a plaited rope to an anchor chain? Mine is showing signs of wear, and I'd like to flip it end to end. I realize that I should probably tackle it myself, but my 3 strand splices aren't that neat, and this has to go through the windlass. What's the cost for this (roughly)?
mrmac
Mid-Potomac River (not far from Solomon's, a bit farther from Annapolis)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2017

Re: Splicing plait line to anchor chain

8 Strand to Chain Splice
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
Who do you go to splice a plaited rope to an anchor chain? Mine is showing signs of wear, and I'd like to flip it end to end. I realize that I should probably tackle it myself, but my 3 strand splices aren't that neat, and this has to go through the windlass. What's the cost for this (roughly)?
mrmac
Mid-Potomac River (not far from Solomon's, a bit farther from Annapolis)
Go to yourself for something like this.
You'll be glad you did...in the end.
You know you want and need to do it.
Follow RichH link...and do it...for you, the sailor.
Splices are more easily done when you are barefoot....

post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Go to yourself for something like this.
You'll be glad you did...in the end.
You know you want and need to do it.
Follow RichH link...and do it...for you, the sailor.
Splices are more easily done when you are barefoot....
Neat is not vital.

What is important is that it is long enough, tapered, and not too tight (too tight will be fat and stiff).

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2017 Thread Starter

Neatness is important in that the splice has to go through the windlass.

My first thought was that if I tried the splice and it was unsatisfactory, I'd be without an anchor or at least one that could be brought in mechanically. It occurred to me that I could try the splice through the next to last link in the chain using the bitter end of the line (which I would want to use in any case). If it looks good, I'd cut off the last link of chain. If not, I'd cut out the new splice and be no worse off than I am now. This would all depend on the unlikely possibility that there is room in the link.

Back to original question. Who does one call to do splices?

mrmac
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
Neatness is important in that the splice has to go through the windlass.

My first thought was that if I tried the splice and it was unsatisfactory, I'd be without an anchor or at least one that could be brought in mechanically. It occurred to me that I could try the splice through the next to last link in the chain using the bitter end of the line (which I would want to use in any case). If it looks good, I'd cut off the last link of chain. If not, I'd cut out the new splice and be no worse off than I am now. This would all depend on the unlikely possibility that there is room in the link.

Back to original question. Who does one call to do splices?

mrmac
Several comments:
The splice that I highlighted bears strength and additive friction over SEVERAL/MANY chainlinks. Spicing to the single terminal chain link usually results in FAT back splice, a splice that doesn't easily pass through the gypsy on a windlass, ultimately gets 'chewed up' by the gypsy, doesnt easily go down the hawse hole into a chain locker due to its 'fat-ness'.
Splicing (back splicing) to a single link is a splice connection that can easily abrade and progressively weaken upon use, then break when under extreme strain. The problem with common back splices is they don't follow the general technical rope recommendations of having "4 times the circumference of the 'turn' in contact" with the other component (rope/chain/bollard, etc); and, usually only have ONE turn of each rope strand in contact with the circumference of the chain link - VERY VERY WEAK. All the 'good' knots have many 'turns' in contact with their opposite connection.
There are several variations (mostly from the UK) for warping splices to chain
If you don't like any splice that you just made ... cut it off and start again.

Most riggers will be able to splice .... but not all will be able to do a proper 'warp splice' to chain. They usually prefer some sort of 'back splice' (weak).

;-)
mrmac likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2017

Pretty neat directions there. It says plainly in step 5 that all strands go thru 1st link .Good luck with tucking all thru 2nd with first just dangling there..I usually read carefully ,then follow explicitly until I get the hang of what's what.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in