Washing foam - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 07-05-2017

Re: Washing foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I washed all the cushion foam on my last boat and it definitely removed most of the old odor. It also is definitely labor intensive. My method was to mix a deodorizing solution (I used something called "Kids and Pets") in the bathtub, put the foam in and walk around on it to fill and flush all the cells--like stomping grapes. Then do a simple rinse--no need to get it all out as it removes the odor as it dries. Drying is the hard part--an open cell cushion can hold gallons of water. I squished out as much water as possible in the tub and then would walk on the foam with towels on top and underneath every day. I did this during the winter when the indoor air was dry to help, but I guess if you're in a dry climate and can put them out in the sun, all the better. Good result, but a lot of work.
I've used something along these lines as well. A couple of differences though. Odoban is a powerful disinfectant (it's about $10 at HomeDepot for a gallon of concentrate) that we use for pet accidents or any cleaning where you want to completely disinfect a material. I use it instead of bleach (Odoban usually doesn't effect colors adversely like bleach does) in the washer too.

I completely drenched the foam in a relatively strong solution of odoban. Let it sit for a few hours. Then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Then let dry in the full sun for as many days as it takes to return to the original weight of just the foam. it's worked great and then you know that all odors should be eradicated. The sun drying is important as the UV of the sun also kills any smell inducing bugs as well.

This also worked well for a moulded carpet/padding in a car that had had some water damage (the sun roof leaked during a particularly heavy rain). After pulling out the entire interior and removing the carpet/pad, I followed the above protocol and the car never smelled like there had been water damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 07-06-2017
Live to Sail

We recently purchased a boat that was on the hard for 5 years with water intrusion. Interior was trashed and filled with mold and a intolerable odor.
I removed all cushion covers and had all 27 of them dry cleaned. Took and steam cleaned all the foam by hand. set up a Ozone generator inside the hulk and made sure all rubber was removed inside letting it run for one week all closed up.
I then opened boat and let it air out for one day. Cleaned all hard surfaces with White Vinegar,including bilge,engine compartment,drawers inside and out and floorboards. Polished Teak and Mahogany Sole with Butchers Wax cleaned all teak and oiled, replaced clean cushions and foam.
Outcome was 99% not one person visiting boat detected any odor or problem with interior. The 1% that was dirty was a stern small lazerett that had not been exposed to the Ozone generator or Vinegar.,

Hope this helps.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2017

Send a message via Skype™ to doctorcam

Don't leave them out in the sun. The UV will immediately attack the foam and make it degrade. You can see colour changes at the surface in as little as a day. Outside under cover where the wind can get at it will work better - you need air movement more than heat.

Albin 79 "Catharsis" - moored in Whiskey Slough, Pender Harbour

post #14 of 18 Old 07-07-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

rent or buy a furniture/upholstry steam cleaner. use the recommended soap and donot let the wet stufff soak into cushions. use foam only.
the hard part of foam cleaning is not the cleaning but the drying. it wont dry if you wet it thoroughly and will grow mold and disintigrate. latex does that easily. most cushions on boats are made of latex foam. crappy stuff. nasty and breaks down into granules and dust. 75 percent of population of planet is allergic to latex.
if you cannot afford new cushions, use the steamer for upholstery. follow directions and have a great time. i used to hand wash mine when they got dirty. gotta love the light colors used in boat upholstery aka cushion covers.
RegisteredUser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 18 Old 07-07-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"most cushions on boats are made of latex foam. "
Can you substantiate that? Almost all conventional "foam rubber" cushions are made of polyurethane foams, which are a major problem because of their flammability, as well as the use of toxic flame retardant treatments in them.
I've never seen "boat foam" broken out differently. Latex is 1940's foam. Polyurethane has had the overall market for decades now.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatterasJack View Post
We recently purchased a boat that was on the hard for 5 years with water intrusion. Interior was trashed and filled with mold and a intolerable odor.
I removed all cushion covers and had all 27 of them dry cleaned. Took and steam cleaned all the foam by hand. set up a Ozone generator inside the hulk and made sure all rubber was removed inside letting it run for one week all closed up.
I then opened boat and let it air out for one day. Cleaned all hard surfaces with White Vinegar,including bilge,engine compartment,drawers inside and out and floorboards. Polished Teak and Mahogany Sole with Butchers Wax cleaned all teak and oiled, replaced clean cushions and foam.
Outcome was 99% not one person visiting boat detected any odor or problem with interior. The 1% that was dirty was a stern small lazerett that had not been exposed to the Ozone generator or Vinegar.,

Hope this helps.
Yes good effort too, sometimes they are worth the effort. Mold obviously can be dangerous as you know. Im getting great suggestions for sure. If I hadn't mentioned before I have NO Diesel odor so after this I should be Spick & Span.
Some things can't be covered up they need to be remedied.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-07-2017

I like the idea of compressing it to the limit and then introduce the planned mold/bacteria/ebola/alien killing solution, with it opened up, in said solution for x time. Suck it up...

The grape smash walk suggested sounds good.
There is probably a gas fogger that will do the same killing, but there would be some rinses needed.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-07-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"most cushions on boats are made of latex foam. "
Can you substantiate that? Almost all conventional "foam rubber" cushions are made of polyurethane foams, which are a major problem because of their flammability, as well as the use of toxic flame retardant treatments in them.
I've never seen "boat foam" broken out differently. Latex is 1940's foam. Polyurethane has had the overall market for decades now.
production boats come with cheapo latex foam. yes it is latex. i know the difference. i am one of the 75percent of planetary population allergic to latex. sorry you are incorrect. i have found latex foam in boats including 90s models.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in