Deep Cycle Battery - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 07-07-2017

Re: Deep Cycle Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Unless you are literally just charging a smartphone and only staying out one night at a time.
Now you are just being silly.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 07-07-2017

Well, when someone has Nothing but their Starter, that's the sort of daily load I say OK, just get an LVD to keep from running it down, or get a portapak jumpstart as backup, no House needed.

But add some lights, even LED, or venting fans running many hours, or even a small Chromebook, and they need a House batt.

If money is no object, there are some good LFP banks under 100AH, but usually more expensive than $180, which in the Duracell GC2 gets you 200+AH.

So really portability seems to me only reason to not go that way, even for the almost homeless guy camping in his brokedown Chevy van in my church parking lot.

Saving $60 to get half the capacity and 20% of the lifetime just makes no sense to me.
post #23 of 38 Old 07-08-2017
Cruisin' for a Bruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
I know there have been some discussions on deep cycle batteries. It can get about as rollicky as an anchor discussion, not simple like religion or Trump. So, can anybody recommend a descent trustworthy, medium priced battery?
I have 3 of the Duracell 31Ms that I bought at Batteries Plus. They are the same ones sold at West Marine under their store brand, but for less money. So far, so good.

Note that these are flooded batteries. I was thinking about AGMs, but my alternator doesn't have the stones to take advantage of the fast recharge.

Shrimp

S/V Wayfinder - 1985 Pacific Seacraft 34

post #24 of 38 Old 07-09-2017 Thread Starter

I'm not sure where the zebras come in (nasty creatures I understand) but what I'm looking for is advice on a house battery that will probably double for the starter battery anyway. Currently there are two Interstates in there. A 24 and a 27. I will be replacing the 24. It is for a Pearson-O'day 290. I have replace most of the lighting with LEDs. I asked because from previous posts it has been mentioned that most deep cycles batteries are not.

So, I've read all the posts and done a little shopping around. Based on the advice on 12v batteries, price, brand reputation and availability, I'm looking at a Duracell Ultra BCI Group 27M battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs. Does this sound reasonable?
post #25 of 38 Old 07-09-2017

I'm in with MaineSail, the first responder. The OP said "deep cycle". Getting a deep cycle 12v battery that's truly deep cycle is pretty much impossible. Finding a 12v that's labeled deep cycle is easy. Some are better than others, but all are wanting.

If the OP wants a deep cycle battery, a pair of 6v batteries in series is the way to go. And, the batteries at Sam's are a decent moderate cost 6v, deep cycle battery.

If the OP replaces his pair of 12v batteries with a pair of 6v, he'll be all set for his cranking and house storage.

Might be nice to finish off that installation with a smart battery monitor.
post #26 of 38 Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
I'm looking at a Duracell Ultra BCI Group 27M battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs. Does this sound reasonable?
It is made by Deka, so there's that, but no, those automotive 12V form factors need to see the cycles vs DoD charts, otherwise assume "dual purpose" glorified starters.

So, not nearly as good as 2x GC2s, 4 would be even better, if say running a fridge for days at a time, or bilge pumps, windlass etc at all often.

So, used for what loads, how long? Really, AH per day is what you need to know.

How long away from shore power? How often? What other charge sources while you're out?

Starting is no load at all, you're right, it's often not worth carrying a big heavy batt dedicated to just that function, any decent House bank can crank no problem.

But you **do** want to ensure you're never unable to start, LVD or backup jumpstarter pack.

If that is one bank in parallel (most efficient), then really the batteries should match, buy them all at the same time, or the older one will bring down overall performance and longevity.

Last edited by john61ct; 07-09-2017 at 09:46 PM.
post #27 of 38 Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Getting a deep cycle 12v battery that's truly deep cycle is pretty much impossible.
Not at all, if you only buy from the half-dozen trustworthy mfg out there and avoid consumer retail, big box & auto supply like the plague.

The much higher cost per AH compared to Sam's GC2s will be well worth it in longevity, but only if you have the gear and knowledge to care for them properly.
post #28 of 38 Old 07-09-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Don-
I would do some tests on the 27 that you plan to keep, and if you don't know when it was bought, certainly peel back the top of the side labels until you find the production date. If it is "old" or doesn't test very highly...maybe replace them both and be done with it.
Mixed batteries won't cause the world to end, but you should at least see how far apart they might really be.

The last time I went to a battery franchise store, their prices were 2x that of the hardware store, which were 2x higher than Amazon, so I'd suggest checking their price against Sam's or Wallyworld, at least.
post #29 of 38 Old 07-09-2017

B+ pricing on the Duracell GC2's is competitive with Sam's if the latter is a much farther drive.

Paying shipping adds **a lot** to the cost, unless you're getting many hundreds of pounds of expensive lead, say Rolls/Surrette by freight, a few hundred more's relatively little then. But I don't think Amazon deals in that league.

And if there is a single example of true deep cycle ever sold at Walmart, I'd love to find out about it.

I believe the GC2s are the only ones at Costco and Sam's, but again I'd like to be proven wrong there too.
post #30 of 38 Old 07-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
Note that these are flooded batteries.
Nice thing about FLA is you can get accurate SoC without an expensive BM.

They also last longer, take abuse better.

And are cheaper.

AGM is only justified IMO if you need the fast charging, need to mount them sideways or can't get to them for watering.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in