Palmer p-60 repower ? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Capt Len

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2001 Thread Starter

Palmer p-60 repower ?

I am looking at buying a boat with a Palmer P-60 engine and want to repower it. But with what? Does anyone know what diesel will be a close fit? Or does anyone know of resources where I can find an answer? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ocean Dreamer

Re: Palmer p-60 repower ?

I'm also interested in this.
post #3 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Note: the OP has not checked in here since 2007.

It always gets down to size of power plant. What HP (nominal minimum) would you replace it with? With that answer, and some measurements from the old Palmer, start checking the drawings and specs for Betamarine. Their modern small diesels usually have a smaller footprint than gas engines from the 60's or 70's, for equivalent HP.

What make/model boat are you referring to??

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Last edited by olson34; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:17 PM.

post #4 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Ocean Dreamer

Don't know about OP, but I'm looking at a Columbia 34.
post #5 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

I like anything based on Kobota. I would bet that anything new will have a smaller footprint .,particularly length It may be you can set the engine back, using the existing rear bed .This is to avoid having to extend /lengthen the shaft flange. Making custom brackets to reach motor mount location is no biggie .Note which side has the injectors /filter it would be inconvenient to not have access because of bulkheads
olson34 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Found this info on the 'net:

"Palmer 60 Marine Engine Parts: The Palmer 60 marine engine (P-60, M-60) was adapted from the C-60 tractor engine built by International Harvester for use in Cub and Cub Lo-boy tractors. It is a very sturdy, smooth running engine that is rated at 22 horsepower @ 3,000 rpm, perfectly suited to be the auxiliary power plant for small to medium sized sailboats. "

Probably a decent choice back in the day. However, that 'day' was a rather long time ago.

Unless you like tinkering as much or more than sailing, it's likely time to repower that boat with modern technology. I betcha a Betamarine 25 would do the job very well.
It really depends on how long you plan to keep the boat and how much you are out for the purchase $. I always use "ten years" as a reference point... i.e. keeping a boat ten years provides enough time to amortize out major improvements and maintenance.

For a rough real-world comparison, I spent approx. 10K for the new Beta25 with trans and panel, on a pallet. I did a lot of the work for the removal/reinstall, but still paid about 3 or 4K to a professional for an accurate install with changes to the bed logs and associated system upgrades.

100% worth it, for me.
For your situation... only you can know.

Edit: just noticed the info on Sailboat Data, that this model is shown with a V-drive. While the drive train is out, have the V-drive rebuilt as well.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Last edited by olson34; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:03 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 4 Weeks Ago

In my old '68 Columbia 36 we replaced the third Atomic 4 with a rebuilt Westerbeke XP25 ( which powered many Catalina 34s) and though it didn't have V Drive it required a new shaft because of transmission length and modified engine mounts.
Likewise the fuel tank required return hoses and Racor filtering to convert from Gas to Diesel. We were able to use the choke cable placement in the cockpit to install the mechanical kill mechanism and had to convert the Tachometer from the old AT4 mechanical cable. The shift and throttle levers from the AT4 were able to be used by replacing the cable length.
The XP-25 is a Kubota block and you need to check the clearance of the engine compartment especially the height ( ours needed to fit beneath the cockpit floor).

I agree with olson 34 that a qualified yard needs to do the alignment and bed work since working with feeler gauges in a cramped space is a talent. Once completed they need to Sea trial to get prop sizing right and confirm WOT performance.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in