Latest Kijiji Find - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

Latest Kijiji Find

Latest Kijiji Find-6cfea84f-bfbc-4267-9c2a-b56e94573df5.jpg

A grubby Origo 6000. Although it looks like the oven was never used. Asking price, $100. I offered more. Thrilled even to find one for sale. Always wanted one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hughes 38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-22-2017

Re: Latest Kijiji Find

Score! That's a $1500 stove and it doesn't matter how old it is, because there is nothing to go wrong with them.

My Origo is a work horse, one of the most reliable pieces of kit I've ever bought.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

Yes big score! Someone cleaning out a garage. They obviously had it forever and didn't know the true value. I didn't even have to pay shipping since I was able to pick it up. Loved the two burner one I had in previous boat. I just bought a Origo 3000 this spring because I gave up on finding the 6000. Not sure yet if I will keep the 3000. It would cover what I paid for this one if I decided to let it go. They are hard to come by.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Hughes 38

post #4 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

I used an old aluminum pot upside down with holes drilled in it before on my last Origo. I was trying to duplicate the idea of a heat pal. I like your idea with a cast iron Dutch oven. I did find I created a fair amount of condensation in the last boat though.

I'm still trying to sell the propane cylinders and transom brackets that came with this boat. Ya, I won't go there.

Hughes 38

post #5 of 23 Old 07-22-2017

Ha ha, I deleted my post about heating with the Origo 6000 when I saw your Navigator stove thread

But here it is again for other people who might be interested. My trick for heating with an Origo stove is to use a cast iron pot or dutch oven on top of the stove with one of these on top

https://www.amazon.com/12-5cm-Powere...GKDZA500MM3JAN

It won't get the boat hot, but will certainly take the chill off in the main salon.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-22-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

The Origo may have to do for heat this season considering the challenge and cost of the solid fuel stove installation.

Hughes 38

Last edited by North Channel Sailor; 07-22-2017 at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

Do you think the fan helped with condensation? I was going to try and fill a cast iron Dutch oven with stones then turn off the burner. Then bring the pot into the my sleeping area at night.

Hughes 38

post #8 of 23 Old 07-22-2017

I don't think the fan helped with condensation but it does help with circulation. The problem with the heat pal, as designed is the heat goes straight up and out the nearest vent. With the dutch oven you store the heat and the fan circulates it around the room.

I think using pourous rocks like you suggest could work really well. Just make sure to put it on a trivot or something. I find when I leave the pot on the heat for a few hours, the bottom of it gets hot enough it would singe your deck pretty quick.

I'm guessing with your Hughes, the cabins bigger and better ventilated than the Mirage, so the condensation might not be as bad. I didn't even notice it on the Fantasia.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-22-2017 Thread Starter

Good to know. Yes I have better ventilation now. The smaller Mirage cabin was bad in cold weather with just the moisture from your breath. I was not very comfortable at all early this year in the Hughes either with just a propane burner going. In the cold water and cool wet weather, the cabin felt like a walk in cooler. I will need to figure out a solution for this fall. The wood stove will be nice if I figure out where to install it. Especially staying on board this winter while working on her.

Hughes 38

post #10 of 23 Old 07-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Channel Sailor View Post
I'm still trying to sell the propane cylinders and transom brackets that came with this boat. Ya, I won't go there.
Thread hijack.... Can you post the pics of the brackets and cylinders? I am looking for the proper one for my boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in