Pelagic Autopilot - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By driggers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2017 Thread Starter

Pelagic Autopilot

So I'm about to spring for a Pelagic Autopilot, but many posts I see read like covert marketing (including identical posts by different users). There are lots of "recommendations" to check it out, the price is almost too good to be true, and there are few accounts from people who have used one for a while. I don't mind this sort of marketing, but I need to see some real reviews before dropping $1500 CAD (incl accessories, tax, delivery, and autopilot).

Can someone with more experience than me tell me what's up here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2017

Re: Pelagic Autopilot

I have one, installed it 4 months ago. Works well and much better than my previous Raymarine unit.
All the singlehand racers on the west coast swear by it. It's a good unit.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2017 Thread Starter

Okay well, I bit the bullet. 6 week lead time. I'll post my findings.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
Okay well, I bit the bullet. 6 week lead time. I'll post my findings.
I'm looking at replacing my very old Nautech tiller pilot and was considering the Pelagic, how do you feel after using if for a couple of seasons?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder!

Still very happy with it! I find it indispensable when single-handling the boat (Newport 30), and it's generally better at steering than I am.

I've mostly used it in benign conditions, but I have also used it in a small following sea on my quarter --- you know, the annoying slow angled rolling that makes it hard to steer --- and the pelagic works there too.

Since buying it I discovered that the remote is a $10 off-the-shelf piece from adafruit, so I got a couple of extras.

I have also messed with the settings quite a bit (there are lots of them, spend time reading the manual while you wait fo it to arrive), and learned to recalibrate (go around in a big circle and press a button as you visit each of 8 headings). I used it for the first time this season last weekend and it worked fine without re-calibration.

If there are drawbacks they are below. None of them are deal-breakers for me and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pelagic if I got a second boat.

- Pelagic remote takes very deliberate button presses with a short wait in between, which is good for not getting erroneous input, but for some reason my dad (75) has trouble knowing whether he pressed it, so then he presses all kinds of things and puts it in standby and the boat goes off course and... etc. The problem is obviously the operator, but if that describes the operator of yours keep that in mind.

- My Pelagic works a *bit* better for sailing than motoring on my boat because prop wash tends to push my rudder off center as well as cause a rapid turn with very little movement of the tiller. The pelagic is pretty good at dealing with this, even though my settings are optimized for sailing. Would be nice (TM) to have settings memory so I can tell it I'm motoring

- The pelagic is probably designed to be used on long passages in open waters, so the buttons only offer 2 degree course corrections. I wish there were also a 10 degree correction for navigating the Vancouver harbour (yes, the pelagic is absolutely great for navigating the harbour under power while I tidy the deck and eat a meal!).

- It's probably an issue with my calibration or perhaps magnetic disturbance from large ships docked in the harbour (is that a thing?), but at times I seem to drift slowly off course when trying to aim for the next bridge or whatever. Not a huge deal but it takes a couple of more corrections than I wanted to make.

- Differences in settings can be vast. For example if you have high gain (I think) the thing wiggles around all the time like it's trying to make techno music. I sailed it like that for half a season before realizing it didn't need to be so annoying. Obviously this is also a pro, but if you are not the type of person who can test and adjust something complex, then the pelagic might not be right for you.

A couple of videos I made last season.

https://youtu.be/J5cAw_XIqok

https://youtu.be/SFtWCBECF10
PhilCarlson likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-04-2019

I found this interesting . The AP is hooked to the Monitor .
https://pelagicautopilot.com/collect...course-holding

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #7 of 9 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I have plans to try and make this: https://kingtidesailing.blogspot.com...nd-sensor.html

The only thing holding me back is the list of other stuff I need to do on my boat, and the fact that I don't really need it. I think you only need wind-direction steering is for longer passages, whilst the longest passage I ever make is across the Georgia strait.

You certainly don't need to have a steering wind vane to get this feature with the pelagic.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-04-2019

Thanks for the reply driggers. I don't mind tinkering a bit to get it set up correctly for my boat and do like the portable remote I can keep on me. The idea of doing calibration loops when I plan them as opposed to when otto decides to malfunction is certainly advantageous.

From the video it looks like you have the bow facing unit mounted on your pushpit as opposed to the stern facing unit which is listed as standard. Did you plan and order it that way? I certainly don't disagree with the reasoning you provided in the video of being able to better see the status lights no matter where you were on the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I agree Mark, that setup is pretty neat.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor1800 View Post
Thanks for the reply driggers. I don't mind tinkering a bit to get it set up correctly for my boat and do like the portable remote I can keep on me. The idea of doing calibration loops when I plan them as opposed to when otto decides to malfunction is certainly advantageous.

From the video it looks like you have the bow facing unit mounted on your pushpit as opposed to the stern facing unit which is listed as standard. Did you plan and order it that way? I certainly don't disagree with the reasoning you provided in the video of being able to better see the status lights no matter where you were on the boat.

I agree Mark, that setup is pretty neat.
I don't remember whether I chose pushpit on order, but I imagine the difference is simple configuration. I'm happy I chose pushpit for the reason cited (can see the lights respond), but that feature is not critical in any situation.

One thing I didn't do right on installation is that my cockpit seat is angled so that there isn't room to have the motor down. The attachment to the seat was easy to reconfigure, but the attachment to the tiller was meant to be used the other way (motor down). It didn't make a difference in the long run, but would have reduced the headache on installation if I had got a version with the actuator arm (and hole for pin) upside-down.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in