Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mast Step Leaking!!
Hi, all. I've got a leaky mast step on my 1981 O'day 22. I plan to cut it out from the top, but have the following questions. I may need to cut quite a bit out so that's why I'm not going in from the bottom since there is a bulkhead near the damaged area. I appreciate the help!
1. Do I coat the plywood with epoxy before inserting it?
2. do I secure the plywood to the deck? If so, how?
3. What type of epoxy do I use to pour into the surrounding area around the plywood? Or do I use fiberglass? If so, which type?
4. Any thoughts on how to ensure the holes remain where they need to be? I was thinking of trying to reuse the skin which would have the holes already placed.
5. If I don't use the existing skin, could I finished off the epoxy with a layer of gelcoat?
On a side note, the crack visible from beneath the plate seems to not have been created by accident. There's also a wire that looks electrical as you can make out but it's stiff. I would assume that crack needs to be filled in.