Long, Rambling Musings on P26 Improvements - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-08-2017 Thread Starter

Long, Rambling Musings on P26 Improvements

I probably wrote this as much to help clarify my own thoughts (which are pretty jumbled by all of the options) as to bore anyone else with my conundrums, BUT....

If any of you have the time and inclination, I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on some changes and (hopefully) improvements I'd like to make on our Pearson 26. Typically, the boat is used for overnight or weekend trips for my wife and I, and we'd like to do one or two two-week long trips each year in the future. We VERY rarely have guests, and when we do it's always been for a few hours' day sail, so keeping comfortable (which is already a stretch) sleeping accommodations for four or five people doesn't really factor into our goals for the boat; we'd like to turn it into a nice little practical pocket cruiser for the two of us on a budget. The headsails are hanked on, the main and headsail halyards are not led aft, and we don't have an autotiller or tamer; let's leave the "make it easy to sail" discussions and goals for another time. She sails well as is and, although I'd like to single hand very soon, right now I'd just like some help with living ergonomics.

As it seems with all things I've done so far on the boat, trying to improve one small thing seems to snowball and require doing something ELSE first to make that initial improvement possible. Here we go...

Done:

1. Installed Thetford MSD porta-potti w/ pumpout and vent fittings. HIGHLY recommended. No holding tank issues, good for 40-50 flushes (never came close, and don't plan to). Works great.

2. Got freshwater system working. New fittings on tank, new hand-pump sink faucet, new hoses.

Desires:

1. Install permanent two-burner alcohol stove. My Coleman dual-fuel stove makes me nervous on board. Just scored an Origo 4000 on eBay in decent shape for a good price; cleaned it up and just made my morning coffee on it. Worked great. Heated a quart of water to 210 in under 8 minutes. Psyched.

2. A better way to keep food cold/cool. We currently use a very large double-insulated Igloo cooler which works great, but it lives on the sole or quarterberth 'cause it won't fit anywhere else.

2. Install some form of solar charging. Just got the Renogy 50w starter kit, and it's currently charging my motorcycle battery (as a test.. non-boat related) beautifully and surprisingly quickly on a very cloudy day.

3. Move lame 1" funnel-type RV water fill currently located on hanging locker inside cabin to a deck fill location. The easiest place to do this would either be through the deck into the hanging locker, or on the opposite side of the boat near the head.

In the first pic, QuarterAftAngle, you can see what is currently on the boat. The small sliding table atop the nav table/cabinet was there when we bought the boat, and I can't figure out what it's for. Too small to mount a stove, except maybe a single burner. I know the boat had an alcohol stove as a factory option; was it a single on that sliding table? You can also see the main battery switch and fuse in the black panel on the side of the cabinet. If you look closely, you can see a partially drilled 2.5" hole to the right of the panel, but I guess the P.O. changed his mind halfway through drilling it. Way to plan ahead. You'll also see a hole in the fiberglass underneath the switch panel above the table; the guy the previous owner hired to install wind instruments decided it was easier to drill a big honkin' hole there and just leave the wires draped around the cabin than to spend the 10 minutes it took me to route them through already-existing pathways that kept them totally hidden. Beautiful.

OK.. here's where things snowball. Initial plan was just to do away w/ the sliding tabletop, cut the cutout for the stove in the nav table, and call it good. However, that black panel that houses the battery switch extends too far into the space under the cabinet and will interfere with the stove. Don't like a metal stove that close to exposed electrical contacts anyway. Actually, I'm not real fond of the exposed wiring and contacts, period. See the pic called Wiring.jpg. Soo.. gotta make some changes, and the boat should be rewired, anyway.

Next thought... Make a new cabinet like the current one (just two sheets of plywood, really.. not difficult), only about 6" wider so the stovetop can be mounted parallel to the centerline, then build a box for the battery switch (and maybe switch panel for the lights, radio, instruments, etc.?) and mount that on the shelf at table-level. See DanBox.jpg for switch box location idea.

Then, after searching around FOREVER for more ideas, I can across a pic of a P26 interior where someone had taken this a step further and turned 1/2 the quarterberth into a stove and icebox (maybe an actual refrigeration unit.. can't tell), with access to the locker underneath via side doors rather than the large opening top covers. See P26Galley.jpg. That person also put sliding door access to the shelf along the outside, and probably opened up the area to the outer hull. I don't think I want the expense and hassle of a refrig unit, but was wondering about a built-in icebox. Seems like the stove would be better towards the companionway/hatch, just for ventilation, and the icebox on the other side, no? I easily stand to lose 1/2 the quarterberth. Thoughts?

Another, and probably simpler and better, solution to the icebox dilemma would be to relocate my battery box (currently under the companionway step, seen in CabinLookAft.jpg) to the hold against the bulkhead inside the cockpit lockers, and gain access to that hold through the opening under the companionway. Dan Pfeiffer made a really nice folding step that slides out of the way to port behind the sink, but I don't see a reason why I couldn't just hinge the step to the side of the sink cabinet instead of the board underneath the companionway; it would lift up to the side to port, rather than up to aft. Much easer to build, and still gives access to the big opening underneath. Then, glass in two slides with a back stop, and a fairly large cooler could slide under that step partially into the hold, as Dan described on his great page(s). Any gotchas with this plan I'm not seeing?

On to electrical/solar stuff. Our boat, and I didn't grab any pictures of this, does have a shorepower hookup, and a battery charger mounted on the bulkhead inside the cockpit locker in the hold, coupled with an AC outlet on that same panel, and an AC outlet in the cabin. NEVER used any of it; the scare stores I've read about stray currents/corrosion coupled with how bad the regular DC wiring was screwed up by the P.O. (s?) made me even more hesitant to trust anything AC-related. The outboard (8hp Sailmaster) does have an unregulated charging system for the battery, and it works. Load on my boat is very light; VHF radio, wind/depth instruments, lighted compass, LED cabin lights ( three are red/white switchable), LED steaming and deck lights, and regular NAV lights.

Given our usage, I don't think I'd need to go to a two-battery bank, but I'm willing to do so if you think it's a good idea. My current battery, bought a few years ago, is an 80ah group 27 (I think.. I'm sure about the 80ah). The 50w Renogy kit I bought came with a very basic PWM controller, and it seems to be working well. The folks at Renogy told me it's fine to just connect the output of the controller directly to the battery, and it'll play nice with the outboard's charging system as long as the outboard doesn't put out more than 20 amps. It doesn't even come close. There are no fuses built in or included with the Renogy kit. Should I put one in between the positive terminal of the battery and the controller? What would I need to do if I DO ever use the shorepower system? When relocating the battery switch from the cabinet, would it be a good idea to incorporate a battery status monitor of some kind in the new location?

In the CabinLookAft.jpb, you can see two wood panels in the cabin near the headliner, one on each side of the companionway. The one to starboard houses a rat's nest of wires, the switch panel, and a separate toggle switch for the wind instrument. The one to port gives access to the depth meter and compass, and has a switch for the depth meter, a buzzer that doesn't seem to do anything, and a toggle switch for a missing (and not desired) electric water pump. There's also a buzzer located inside the port winch handle locker in the cockpit. Any ideas what the buzzers might be for? I've tried tracing the wires, but can't figure it out.

Re/ mounting the panel - probably off the stern rail, but not sure if I should explore a permanent mount, or if I should just stow it when sailing. The panel is approx. 25" x 22".

Well, those are my dilemmas (dilemmae?). Galley solutions, from simplest to most complicated..

1. Relocate battery switch and wiring, maybe to existing wood panel above nav table, then make cutout for stove in existing nav table, live with stupid holes in side, and call it good for now.

2. Build similar open-style nav table but 6" wider out of two pieces of plywood, cutout for stove mounted parallel to centerline. Better angle for standing with head out hatch while cooking.. no hunching over! Relocate battery switch as above, or build new box for mounting on shelf at rear of table along wall.

3. Build new cabinet per P26Galley.jpg.

What would you do? Any thoughts on any of the other ideas (deck water fill, solar panel mounting/incorporation w/ existing charging system(s), fear of shorepower, companionway step hinge location, icebox/refrig, single vs dual battery, rewiring and locating negative buss bar, panels... anything)?

All this 'cause I don't wanna use a Coleman stove!!!!!!

Thanks for any input, suggestions, thoughts, or personal abuse you'd like to share.

Best to you all,

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
QuarterAftAngle.jpg   DanBox.jpg   P26 Galley.JPG   CabinLookAft.jpg   Wiring.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.

Last edited by bblument; 09-08-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-08-2017

Re: Long, Rambling Musings on P26 Improvements

Jees Barry, all these tight fit problems would just go away if you were working on a larger boat. At least a 40 footer. go for it.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-08-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Jees Barry, all these tight fit problems would just go away if you were working on a larger boat. At least a 40 footer. go for it.
LOL, Len. We're very much beer-budget folks, and love the low usage costs (slip fees, storage, etc.) of our small boat. The two- and three-day weekends we've spent aboard have been very enjoyable, and we don't come away feeling cramped. Compared to the tent camping we do, this thing is the Taj Mahal. Just trying to make it better and safer. Who knows... if our love for sailing continues to grow as exponentially as it has been lately, a shift in budget priorities MAY be in order in the future. Thanks for the push!

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.

post #4 of 16 Old 09-08-2017
Tartan 27' owner

Barry,
Nice piano solo there;-).
By all means get some solar panel input to your batteries.
+1 on the Origo 4000 stove. Make it work with the space you have
Route some/most of your halyards etc to the cockpit.
Think about a roller furler unit instead of hank on jibs; unless you have a nice supply of #1, #2 & #3's. A furler can make deploying the jib very easy, all done from the cockpit.
For the cooler/refrig option I'm going to point out the Yeti tribe of coolers. They are super well insulated and come in different sizes.
Your mileage may vary.
Best,
CalebD
I'm glad to hear that you want to use your boat more comfortably.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

The Following User Says Thank You to CalebD For This Useful Post:
bblument (09-09-2017)
post #5 of 16 Old 09-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Barry,
Nice piano solo there;-).
Hehehe.. yeah, I do suffer from diarrhea of the fingers.. I'll try to play/type a bit more tastefully...

Quote:
By all means get some solar panel input to your batteries.
Heading out in an hour or two for a sail and maybe overnight on the hook, if I can convince my wife that her "dog" (chihuahua) will just go on deck when he really has to. No way to get off board at the moment.. I'll throw up the panel temporarily before we leave the boat tomorrow and see how it does. I was amazed at how fast it charged my motorcycle battery yesterday on a very overcast day.

Quote:
+1 on the Origo 4000 stove. Make it work with the space you have
Just cooked breakfast with it at home. LOVE the thing. Quiet, easy to use, PLENTY of heat (don't get the complaints about them not being hot enough...). Looking forward to getting it mounted on the boat once I figure out where to put the battery switch.

Quote:
Route some/most of your halyards etc to the cockpit.
Think about a roller furler unit instead of hank on jibs; unless you have a nice supply of #1, #2 & #3's. A furler can make deploying the jib very easy, all done from the cockpit.
Bringing the halyards back will probably happen soon. Instead of a furler, I may try rigging a headsail downhaul/retraction line; small line from the sail head down the forestay (maybe through the hanks) to a triple ring around the forestay halfway down, through one ring, out to and through the clew, back to the the forestay/triple ring on the other side of the sail, through the other ring, down the rest of the forestay, turning block at deck tack attachment point, then run aft. When the sail is raised and halyard cleated, sheeting in the downhaul would retract the headsail against the forestay. When the halyard is released, sheeting in the downhaul would gather the headsail in a ball on deck. It'd make changing the headsails out a real PITA, but other than that it would a very cost-effect solution to the go-fore-and-wrestle procedure we're currently using. I've got a storm jib, working jib, and 150 genoa right now. Could probably use a 130, but since we're still learning I'm a little skitting about the bigger sails and have pretty much stuck w/ the working jib so far.

Quote:
For the cooler/refrig option I'm going to point out the Yeti tribe of coolers. They are super well insulated and come in different sizes.
I'll start looking. I like that idea better than giving up locker space for a dedicated ice box, and I've heard great things about the Yeti coolers. Gotta say they don't appeal to my wallet, but they do in every other way.

Quote:
Your mileage may vary.
Doubtful. Every bit of advice you've ever given me has been spot on. I'm still kicking myself for not listening to you about getting a loose-footed main.

Thanks, Caleb!

Best to you,

Barry

post #6 of 16 Old 09-09-2017

With regard to the cooler and cooler location, on the P26 I had in the 1980s, I put one right at the companionway, actually stepping on the top of the cooler. as the step into or out of the cabin. I reinforced the top with a piece of plywood and put some carpet on top for looks.
seabeau likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 16 Old 09-09-2017 Thread Starter

Jim, thanks for the post. Juat got back from the boat; ripped out the battery box underneath the step, the battery switch and nav cabinet. Can you tell me where your battery switch was, and also where your battery was located?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-10-2017

To follow up on Caleb and the Yeti, here's this years birthday present in my Tartan 27. I did a fair amount of remodeling over the years to make this space. Have to finish up the trim.

Skywalker

Long, Rambling Musings on P26 Improvements-img_9810.jpg
post #9 of 16 Old 09-10-2017 Thread Starter

Happy birthday! Fits the spot perfectly.. nice.

post #10 of 16 Old 09-10-2017
Tartan 27' owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerII View Post
To follow up on Caleb and the Yeti, here's this years birthday present in my Tartan 27. I did a fair amount of remodeling over the years to make this space. Have to finish up the trim.

Skywalker

Attachment 100337
Very nice Skywalker. That is a fairly elegant solution to the problem of the "ice box" that most Tartan 27's have. The original box was poorly insulated and right next to the inboard motor. Finding the right sized cooler to fit your space is crucial. Fortunately they make a few sizes of Yeti coolers.

I was impressed with the Yeti cooler that was on a sailboat I was on for a few days. It really did keep the ice frozen longer than an Igloo or similar cooler, perhaps up to 3 days if the cooler was not opened regularly.
The Yeti coolers are a bit pricey but not as expensive as installing a compressor/refridge unit.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in