Slotted vs Loose Footed Main - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-25-2017 Thread Starter

Slotted vs Loose Footed Main

My main is slotted to the boom. I need to get it tightened up and the guy at the loft says he can cut it to be loose footed for better trim. While I'm not married to either idea, my only concern is setup. Has anyone here converted their main and what landmines should I look for if I do this? I'll attach pictures to give an idea of the setup. The mainsheet runs through the boom and goes to the transom. I do race sometimes, but coastal cruising is the thing I do most.

Also, the reefing lines are run through the boom. My boat is very single-hander friendly and i don't want to change that.
Thoughts?

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-25-2017
al brazzi

Re: Slotted vs Loose Footed Main

Im OK with a loose foot, just bought one actually it was the thing to do as I was told, personally I think its just less work for the Sailmaker and maybe there really are advantages but I don't know. If by tightening he meant sewing reinforcement to the foot of the Sail and cut the shelf off then I think you will see limited benefit, if its a full re cut maybe you will see benefit.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-25-2017
Lake Sailor

My reefing line and out-haul run through the boom as well, works fine with a loose footed main. I would do it, better trim, get an out-haul if you don't have one.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-25-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

My reefing lines and outhaul run through my boom also. Should male very little difference except going downwind and also a frictionless reef with no bolt rope to pull through a track if reefing.

When we bought Haleakulas new main from Quantum 4 years ago we switched to a loose footed main. Slightly better downwind performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #5 of 14 Old 09-26-2017

Switching to a loose foot has no downside for you. Converting to loose foot is probably not as good as a sail designed for a loose foot from the get-go, but even so it will work fine and your outhaul will be much easier to use.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 14 Old 09-26-2017

I wonder what impact this would have with a Dutchman sail flaking system which is sew into the foot of the sail???

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #7 of 14 Old 09-26-2017
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I wonder what impact this would have with a Dutchman sail flaking system which is sew into the foot of the sail???
I have a loose footed main with a Dutchman. the Dutchman pockets ride in the boom track and are not attached to the sail, works great
SanderO likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-26-2017

I'm a fairly inexperienced sailor still, and was a complete newbie when I bought my boat some years ago. It needed new sails and one very respected and helpful person here on the forum advised me to get a loose-footed main. I didn't really understand why, and I asked the sail loft I was dealing with about it and they said a regular bolt rope foot would be fine for the sailing I was planning on doing. Knowing nothing, I listened to the loft instead of my buddy here. Mistake.

There's nothing wrong w/ the sail I got; the boat sails fine with it. However, now that I'm sailing more and more, seeing sail shape with a clearer eye, and have a better idea in regards to trimming, it annoys me that the outhaul is difficult to adjust and that I can't release the tension more on the foot in very light winds, get rid of a couple wrinkles in a good blow, etc. Even after I first got the sail and wasn't able to see those things, I noticed right away how nice it would have been to be able to throw a line around the boom, between the boom and the foot, to hang a cockpit shower bag or a million other things at any point along the boom. Now, it's either over the sail too (which I don't like to do w/ anything heavy) or at the very end of the boom, which usually isn't where I want to hang anything.

Get a loose foot. I shoulda listened. Story of my life.

Barry

Here's to one of the best friends and companions I've ever had; the white GSD in my avatar. Passed away suddenly on Aug 14, 2017, at 9 1/2 years of age. We love and miss you, Mel, and we will be together again.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-26-2017

Last sail I had with a bolt rope in the boom was back in the late 60's. don't know why a loft would want to make one unless it was to meet OD class rules.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 14 Old 09-26-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post

There's nothing wrong w/ the sail I got; the boat sails fine with it. However, now that I'm sailing more and more, seeing sail shape with a clearer eye, and have a better idea in regards to trimming, it annoys me that the outhaul is difficult to adjust and that I can't release the tension more on the foot in very light winds, get rid of a couple wrinkles in a good blow, etc. Even after I first got the sail and wasn't able to see those things, I noticed right away how nice it would have been to be able to throw a line around the boom, between the boom and the foot, to hang a cockpit shower bag or a million other things at any point along the boom. Now, it's either over the sail too (which I don't like to do w/ anything heavy) or at the very end of the boom, which usually isn't where I want to hang anything.

Get a loose foot. I shoulda listened. Story of my life.

Barry
Actually a shelf foot mainsail is a bit more aerodynamically efficient, especially for the design parameters of effective wind ranges for which the sail was designed. What the shelf foot does is equate to and approximate to the 'winglets' (little vertical mini-wings that are arranged at 90° to axis of the main portion of a wing) that one now sees on large commercial aircraft. Both the winglets and the shelf foot lessens 'short circuiting' of air flow (on the underside of the boom) from the high pressure side of the sail to the low pressure side of the sail .... in the case of a shelf-foot for less air-flow turbulence along the foot of the sail. Plus, with the shelf footed sail the amount of camber and position of maximum draft is carried all the way 'down' towards the boom.
In a loose-foot the amount of camber in the lower panels is tapered more and more 'flat' towards the boom.

The shelf foot usually has a 3-strand dacron bolt rope along the foot edge; provided so that the sail cloth isn't overstretched when the outhaul is fully tight. The loose foot sail without a bolt rope usually always/eventually permanently over-stretches out of shape along the foot in short order - ultimately beyond the 'black band', and if you're racing .... an eventual DSQ due to a sail that is too large for your class, etc. racing measurements.

Most sailors don't release outhaul tension when finished sailing; so, the loose foot will normally be stretched out of shape along the foot much sooner than a shelf foot; plus, will usually develop a permanent 'crease' (girt) between the tack and the clew.

Shelf footed sails usually need to have the foot bolt-rope 'readjusted' at the end of each sailing/racing season - usually the bolt rope needs to be 'eased' or made longer (ditto - the luff bolt rope, especially if the [racing cut or a dacron mainsail that was made well before the year ~2000] sail was made with a 'shortened' luff bolt rope that NEEDS to be additionally 'stretched out' every time the sail is raised - by about 1" extra stretch for every 10-11 ft. of luff length).
There's not much 'easy' re-adjustment/restoration possible to a loose footed sail that's been permanently over-stretched along the foot .... other than 're-cutting' the entire clew and lower leech areas .... or a 'new' sail.

One 'can' use a shelf foot sail sail without connection of the slugs/bolt-rope in the sail track on the boom .... just like how you fly a loose-footed sail; and, you'll get less friction resisting the outhaul !!!!!

Rx: there's really no advantage with a loose footed sail, other than adjustability of camber along the foot/boom ......... and then only to have the outhaul NOT eased when the sail isn't being flown, which ultimately permanently stretches and permanently distorts the foot of the sail. The shelf foot is more aerodynamically efficient ... but only in specific wind ranges... so if youre 'campaigning' a boat, you'll need *several* mainsails to meet the needs of various wind ranges.

Special Note to 'rbrasi' - from your avatar pic and the 3rd pic in your thread. This mainsail was probably made long before the year ~2000 and most probably has a 'pre-loaded' or 'shortened' luff bolt rope .... as evidenced by the 'significant' droop (aft end of the boom significantly lower than the gooseneck when sailing). To correct this - and which makes your boat aggressively heel-over, have difficulty pointing, etc., I would suggest you go to https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...insail.120970/ and follow the info in post #1 to affect a correction when RAISING this sail !!!! --- so that the sail is 'properly stretched out' and that the boom is close to *parallel to the horizon* when sailing.
To set the proper initial *outhaul* tension .... use the same 1" additional 'stretch-out' for each 10 ft. of boom/foot length.
Then if you have a speedometer, etc., adjust the outhaul in/out, to get the 'highest' speedo reading when you're pointing or 'close hauled' - that will set the correct outhaul tension for the present/current wind and waves and for all other points of sail.
oysterman23 and CVAT like this.

Last edited by RichH; 09-26-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
bblument (09-26-2017), rbrasi (09-27-2017)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in