Lifeline Replacement - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 41 Old 09-27-2017

Re: Lifeline Replacement

You've been given a number of good vendors that will do what you want. Just remove what you have and have it matched. Your decision will be to go with coated or uncoated. The racing regs are clear (uncoated only) but if you don't race you can go coated. Why not Dyneema? I just changed out my old coated SS lifelines with Dyneema and am very happy with how it went.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 09-28-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Bryan. I have a large compression. swaging tool I can lend you. I did Haleakulas myself 5 years ago using all Johnson self swaging. It is less than 1/2 the price than any rigger. Most expensive pieces are the fittings and the gate hardware. I bought everything online. Check prices. Most of mine came from https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sail...nd-accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #13 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Bryan. I have a large compression. swaging tool I can lend you. I did Haleakulas myself 5 years ago using all Johnson self swaging. It is less than 1/2 the price than any rigger. Most expensive pieces are the fittings and the gate hardware. I bought everything online. Check prices. Most of mine came from https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sail...nd-accessories
You want to draw out a diagram too. Not hard for an architect 😄

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

post #14 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

While racing rules may not apply, the rule exists for a very good reason, IMO. Wet stainless steel does rust, unless exposed to air. Putting a coating over it is just asking for rust near the ends of the coating or wherever it splits. I can't think of a legit reason to favor coated wire. Personally, I think bare wire looks better too. Since production boats are typically sold with coated, I'm guessing most people like the look of coated better. I don't get it.

p.s. Mine are due for replacement too. Original OEM coated wire is rust staining through. Will go with bare. I just need the time to fully de-rig, which requires some recording and labeling. I will drop off mine at a local rigger.
olson34 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Wet stainless does rust and that is the problem with coated wire. H2O contains the thing needed for stainless to rust called oxygen. stainless steel needs to be keep dry so that is does not rust.
Ever fall on the bare wire and loose some skin? that is why coated wire is better but it can't be better if it rusts and breaks when you need it most. coated wire can't be inspected

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #16 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

If the lifeline wire is 316 s/s, it should not rust. Sometime there is surface rust on 316, but that is usually due to contamination from the dies used in manufacturing the wire. Some wire in past used 302 or 304 wire and that will rust, especially when enclosed in PVC!

Coated lifelines usually use 7x7 wire which allows some flexibility but is of lower strength. 3/16" has about 3100-3700 lb breaking strength depending on where it comes from. Uncoated lifelines are usually made from 1x19 wire. In 316 S/S, breaking strength is more like 4700 lbs.

Way back before I bought a proper swaging machine, I did several sets with hand swage fittings. They never looked that good and sometimes got a bit of a bend in them. Doubt they had the strength of proper machine swaged fittings.

Dyneema came out after my time, so don't have experience with that. I imagine splicing or special end fittings are needed. I read that is no longer approved for offshore racing. Se 3.14. https://rorc.sailgate.com/Downloads/...e-races-en.pdf

On a nice boat like the 4Arch has (Beneteau Oceanis 400?), I think I would go to 3/16" 1x19 uncoated these days. But no problem staying with 3/16 coated if owners prefers the "look" and does mostly inshore sailing. That's what I used on my own cruising boat.

Last edited by FreeAgent; 09-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAgent View Post
If the lifeline wire is 316 s/s, it should not rust.....
All stainless will rust when wet and not exposed to air. 316 may just be slower, as I think it has marginally less iron. No doubt my rusty coated lifelines are 316.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
.....Ever fall on the bare wire and loose some skin? ......
Nope. I'm in the never come in contact with your lifelines, unless you're in process of falling off the boat, camp. In which case, the skin seems worth the save. The bigger argument, of course, is that a concealed and rusty wire may not make the save.
Deina likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #19 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Mine are getting replaced this year too.
I am inclined to go with dyneema, but just watched a video from a rigger where the stern end was done with a lashing.
Currently my lifelines are terminated at the stern with a turnbuckle. Is there a safety factor here?
I would imagine that one could cut the dyneema lifeline quite easily if needed, but maybe not?
post #20 of 41 Old 09-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
Mine are getting replaced this year too.
I am inclined to go with dyneema, but just watched a video from a rigger where the stern end was done with a lashing.
Currently my lifelines are terminated at the stern with a turnbuckle. Is there a safety factor here?
I would imagine that one could cut the dyneema lifeline quite easily if needed, but maybe not?
Some comments about dyneema. You can either go the with lashings or splice fittings. I liked the look of fittings, so went with CS Johnson splice fittings. I reused my turnbuckles and gate hooks and just got the proper threaded studs. And yes, the single braid dyneema line does cut pretty easily with a good sharp knife.
Morild likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in