Not Getting the All-Chain Thing - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 532 Old 10-06-2017
Banned

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

I don't know where you get all that rover. We've had none of those problems in conditions like you mention in years of anchoring with rode.

I mean, though I'm not a fan of the Uma kids, you can watch their video where he rides out a strong tropical storm on rode and dopes fine - no chafe, no severed lines, nothing. And it was WAY more than 30 mph winds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 532 Old 10-07-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It really depends on where you're anchoring. If, like us, most of your anchoring is in 10'-20' of water, 60'-80' of chain and the rest rode is a good combo. If you're doing 5:1 - 7:1 scope you'll have mostly chain out in the crusties anyway with the rode just coming up to the boat - essentially acting like the snubber. And you'll be WAY lighter than having 200'+ feet of chain.
So when your line "essentially acting like the snubber." does part in the seas generated by a sudden onshore squall, you have no chain to fall back on until you can power up, relieving the pressure on the chain while you rig another snub line?
Sounds like a recipe for a lost anchor, lost chain and a lost boat, to me.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 532 Old 10-07-2017

Also would add that with a windlass, either electric or manual, retrieving the rode is way easier. That is if the stowage system is adequate so the chain self stores.

The chain is heavy and will affect windward performance especially on a smaller boat. 120' of 5/16" chain is no problem on my Pearson 35 but could be if I had 200' plus. On a smaller boat, even if using 1/4" chain, the weight could make hobby horsing an issue. Still, if I was going cruising, would sleep way better with all chain rode.

post #14 of 532 Old 10-07-2017
Banned

Then you should stick with chain cap.
post #15 of 532 Old 10-07-2017

Chain is very heavy but the major advantage is the excellent chafe protection.

Even in relatively deserted anchorages it sad to see how much rubbish is on the seabed. Old moorings, engines, sewing machines etc etc. When encrusted with sea growth this type of debris is sharp enough to cut through rope quickly. Then there are natural hazards. It is not unusual to see isolated patches of rock in predominant sand or mud anchorages. Coral areas are particularly bad. Naturally you want to avoid anchoring in areas of live coral, but there are frequently large sharp lumps of dead coral on the bottom of many anchorages, so cruising in coral waters is difficult without a reasonable amount of chain.

The other problem is encountered in very crowded anchorages with other cruising boats. Nearly all long distance cruising boats will be using an all chain rode and if you want to use predominantly rope rode you will swing significantly differently.

This does not mean that you need a long length of chain to cruise, but it does make things safer by largely eliminating any concern about chafe.

If you are managing with only a smallish amount of chain one option that can be used is to adjust the length of rode as the wind strength changes so the rope portion is always above the seabed where it safe from chafe. If you have a small amount of chain this will mean adjusting your scope to quite low values if the wind is light. Providing there is some chain on the bottom this will not have much impact on the holding ability, but you need to prepared to let out more scope as wind rises.

The other option is to use G7 chain, which enables a smaller size to used for the same strength, but this has some other drawbacks. There is also the possibility of using Dyneema or Acera that have much better chafe resistance that other fibres that are traditionally used for rope rode, but once again these are not without problems. The chafe resistance is still significantly worse than chain.

In this type of situation rope rode will not last long:

zeehag likes this.

Formally noelex77, but I cannot access that account.
post #16 of 532 Old 10-07-2017
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
WLL and UBL for most all materials and components are published by reliable sources all over this great Internet.

Assuming cruising....all over this flat planet...to the edges....
Why are some boats hauling around 250' of steel chain?
Then they have a snubber system made of rope to subdue shock loads....well promoted as a must-have...

The steel chain is fairly abrasion resistant, provides catenary, but when it's straight on...it's what its strength is.
Your rope snubber may be weaker than the chain, allowing more give, or it could be equal to and even greater strength than the chain's limit.

If gnarly coral heads and and great whites with a nylon/poly appetites are below the limit of the chain, why would you want to carry that extra weight?

No anchors were harmed or mentioned. This is not anchor fight.

Does 250+ lbs of chain make for better dreams?
There's a practical part of the all chain that led me to go that way. It's that you don't have to deal with the rope to chain transition in the windlass. I got tired of that being hard to make the turn and go down in the the locker. In the past I had 375' of chain as that was the most I could put in the locker, and the weight didn't do anything to the boats ride. I since aren't as deep an area and only have about 200' because that allows a longer drop into the locker for the mostly 100' that gets used (the rest is in a stern locker for the backup anchor).

And I a use a snubber because that's about shock loads and I can tell you that in bad nasty conditions the longer the snubber is the better the life down below is because of the shock absorption that snubber provides. It doesn't really matter that the snubber isn't as strong as the chain, the strength of the snubber is enough to rip the boat apart.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 532 Old 10-07-2017

We used to do the 50'(chain)/250'(rope) thang, 'till our anchor rode got fouled once. Not wanting to lose the anchor, I dove to retrieve it. The rode had fouled on a 1000 year-old, 100 lb fisherman type anchor (OK, I'm probably exaggerating a bit). We had been anchored up there for four days, with one of our nights seeing 30 plus kt winds. Upon inspection, my 5/8" three strand had chaffed nearly halfway through on the derelict anchor. We are now ALL chain with a snubber bridle.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #18 of 532 Old 10-07-2017
Old soul

The only reasons not to go with all chain are you donít anchor much or only anchor in well known areas, OR the added weight in the bow really does make a significant impact on your boatís performance. Otherwise, itís pretty much a no-brainer.

Itís not just the much stronger catenary effect and chafe protection, and simplicity on the windlass, but also fact that the chain weight ensures the necessary horizontal force vector on the anchor happens over a much wide range of wind conditions.

Yes, once chain is bone-hard it doesnít really matter. At that point itís all up to scope, anchor quality, and how well it has been set. But with all-chain, we rarely ever see zero catenary. In most cases the weight and friction of our chain means we arenít even testing the anchor much; we just sit on the chain.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #19 of 532 Old 10-07-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
We used to do the 50'(chain)/250'(rope) thang, 'till our anchor rode got fouled once. Not wanting to lose the anchor, I dove to retrieve it. The rode had fouled on a 1000 year-old, 100 lb fisherman type anchor (OK, I'm probably exaggerating a bit). We had been anchored up there for four days, with one of our nights seeing 30 plus kt winds. Upon inspection, my 5/8" three strand had chaffed nearly halfway through on the derelict anchor. We are now ALL chain with a snubber bridle.]
Burned a fair few credits from the black box that time, eh?
RocketScience likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #20 of 532 Old 10-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post

Assuming cruising....all over this flat planet...to the edges....
Why are some boats hauling around 250' of steel chain?
Does 250+ lbs of chain make for better dreams?
If you plan to cruise extensively beyond your home area you will experience a lot of varied anchoring scenarios. In the South Pacific there are many places where you anchor in 60 to 80 foot depths. The bottoms often have coral bommies and boulders. You need all chain and a lot of it to deal with these situations.

I spent 30 minutes this morning unwrapping chain from bommies in 40 ft of water in an anchorage in Vanuatu. Rope could easily have chafed over night as we circled around the anchor.

Paul

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in