Not Getting the All-Chain Thing - Page 26 - SailNet Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #251 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
3 feet line for every 1 foot of depth scope is not particularly difficult for either of my anchors. Aft anchor all line. Bow anchor chain and line. I don't see this scope as difficult for any good anchor after it sets.
Bryce
Do you know your anchor works well in this bottom? My neighbor here who likes to use less chain and much more line dragged in a gust.
If we were not restricted by the fairway I would definitely let out more chain in this situation, especially considering the gusty winds .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

Quote:
Clearly if you power up your boat to hold zero speed over ground, your anchor is definitely forced under your boat by the 5 mph current. So yes, you are correct, you have no experience.

This 5 mph current I am experiencing every day. The current in the Mississippi averages about 5 mph. Sometimes more, sometimes less. During anchoring, my goal is always to anchor in much less current. Typically, I anchor in 0.5 to about 2 mph. At this moment I am anchored in 1.7 mph current. Even in 2 mph current, the anchor and chain get dragged under the boat as I pull it up. You NEVER put in forward once the anchor leaves its set in these conditions. Particularly critical with all line.

If my boat cannot power up in reverse or forward against a 5 mph current, it needs repair. And yes, I have had to reverse against a 5 mph current. I guess you have not..

If you want to gain this experience, drop your anchor with about 30 feet out but does not touch the bottom as you are cruising along at 5 mph. Ideally, use all line Come back to this forum and tell us all what the anchor did.
Bryce

Okay, so help me to understand my imaginary scenario. We have changed locations, correct? I am no longer on the ICW, I am now on the Mississippi. 40 foot keel boat that is maneuverable enough to swing itself stern first into the current around a mooring in a 5 knot current is dragging anchor in 30 feet of water with exactly 30 feet of chain out. My windlass is jammed at the chain rope splice. If I put my engine in gear, my 30 feet of chain and anchor will be instantly sucked into the propeller of my 40 foot boat. Is that before or after it wraps around my keel? The sandbar is still a quarter of a mile behind me. I assume from reading how you like to keep your scenarios realistic, this isn't a gradual decrease in depth but this will be an abrupt sand bar ledge. Is that correct? Will the current that is 5 knots in 30 feet of water still be travelling at 5 knots when it hits the sandbar? I am picturing a large haystack and significant amount of white water as the river passes over the sand bar ledge. Is that correct?

I am curious how the facts in your imaginary scenario are going to change in your next response. Will there be unicorns and care bears for crew?

Also, while you are researching your next post from questionable sources on the internet, can you provide me with a link to a reputable source that says it's not possible to put a few revs on an engine to take the strain off a dragging anchor? Something other than your experience would be nice.

I do enjoy reading some good fantasy while I drink my morning coffee.
MikeOReilly, CVAT and Deina like this.
post #253 of 535 Old 10-19-2017
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
...I am curious how the facts in your imaginary scenario are going to change in your next response. Will there be unicorns and care bears for crew? ...
+1

Itís clear from the banter here who has actual experience anchoring in the real world.

Fun fun thoughÖ carry on
travlin-easy, Arcb and Deina like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #254 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
All Rocnas will drag in hard clay bottoms.
I would not recommend anyone to anchor with just line attached to a Danforth (or any anchor for that matter). I have experimented and it does not work for long.

If I can't anchor with my Rocna on a clay bed then I would consider that bed a sedimentary rock untenable for any anchor. I would reconsider my position if presented with empirical data to the contrary.
post #255 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Scott agree with you. Rocna does just fine in clay. Much better than prior cqr. Have had it skip on occasion and needed a second try to get it it to dig. But once point is in it buries real nice. Problem I find is loose mud and grass. Itís particularly bad in grass. Seems to need a patch 3 or 4 times the area of the anchor to gain purchase. This is a problem in the Caribbean. You really need a person on the bow looking down for a big grass free spot. Iím by myself on occasion so this deficit makes anchoring difficult.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #256 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Scott agree with you. Rocna does just fine in clay. Much better than prior cqr. Have had it skip on occasion and needed a second try to get it it to dig. But once point is in it buries real nice. Problem I find is loose mud and grass. It’s particularly bad in grass. Seems to need a patch 3 or 4 times the area of the anchor to gain purchase. This is a problem in the Caribbean. You really need a person on the bow looking down for a big grass free spot. I’m by myself on occasion so this deficit makes anchoring difficult.
I do like clay due to its plasticity to dig in the point and its blocky substructure to hold the anchor.

I try, but not always successfully, to avoid grass too. I try for even larger areas devoid of grass so the chain does not act as a mower. The nice thing about anchoring in grassy areas is the higher probability of seeing turtles.
post #257 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I do like clay due to its plasticity to dig in the point and its blocky substructure to hold the anchor.

I try, but not always successfully, to avoid grass too. I try for even larger areas devoid of grass so the chain does not act as a mower. The nice thing about anchoring in grassy areas is the higher probability of seeing turtles.
Scotty, Your not ruining the turtles habitat are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #258 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Scotty, Your not ruining the turtles habitat are you?
A guy has to eat too and in some anchorages it can get competitive!
aeventyr60 and CVAT like this.
post #259 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Problem I find is loose mud and grass. Itís particularly bad in grass. Seems to need a patch 3 or 4 times the area of the anchor to gain purchase. This is a problem in the Caribbean. You really need a person on the bow looking down for a big grass free spot. Iím by myself on occasion so this deficit makes anchoring difficult.
One of the things I like about my cheap little Lowrance chart plotter is that I can set the screen to fish finder mode and it gives me a good view of the bottom, including plants.

Once this summer I thought I had my danforth set, but it was mostly just hooked on plants. They eventually uprooted I started to drag.

The visibility was only a couple feet so even having someone on the bow wouldn't have helped, but once I switched to fish finder mode I was able to drive around and find a clear spot and get a good set.

Different circumstance, obviously. I'm in a 22' boat on a freshwater lake.
smackdaddy likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #260 of 535 Old 10-19-2017

In reality, my bit old danforth with just 20 feet of chain and the rest rode, digs into the soupy mud on the bottom of Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries better than my plow that is all chain. It did a much better job on the sandy bottom of the Florida Keys as well. When the plow began to drag, I tossed out the danford and the boat stopped dead in it's tracks. The danforth weighs 22 pounds, while the plow is twice as heavy, but never seems to hold as well. If the danforth would fit on my anchor chock, it would be there as my primary anchor.

Good luck,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in