Not Getting the All-Chain Thing - Page 28 - SailNet Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #271 of 535 Old 10-23-2017

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

We see hundreds of power boaters anchored alone and rafted. I can't remember the last time I saw one dragging the anchor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 535 Old 10-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
Your specific words were "hold zero speed over ground in 5 knot current". If you are holding zero speed in 5 mph current, yes your free anchor and line will be dragged under your boat.

BTW I specifically used the speed of 5 mph, not 5 knots.

Now you can rattle on and on about the details. But this is what you said.
Bryce
Show me the math I don't believe you. In my response I specifically said I was using chain, you have switched to line in a desperate attempt to dig yourself out of a credibility hole. Go back and read my post. Quote me, don't paraphrase.

If I power up on a dragging anchor and chain until neutral speed over the bottom is acheived, all I have done is take the strain off the anchor chain. There might be some chain under the bow, but unless you're using a planing or displacement anchor, it's not flying flat out behind me.

If you're so certain I'm wrong, show me the math. Show me how the drag on the anchor chain has lifted the anchor off the bottom and flung it out behind me like a kangaroo playing leap frog. Your physics are broken.

Yes, I said 5 knot current, that's because I'm a sailor not a trucker.

If you say I'm using all line and no chain it means I'm on a tiny 2000 lb or less boat (like my Bay Hen) and there is no windlass to jam, I just hand bomb the anchor because I'm not frail.

By the way, I'm practicing my anchoring techniques right now. Sand Bottom, all line
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171023_084221.jpg  
post #273 of 535 Old 10-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
We see hundreds of power boaters anchored alone and rafted. I can't remember the last time I saw one dragging the anchor.
It is not the type of boat but the anchoring system in the present discussion. Of those you have seen how many do you think would be using a Danforth anchor with an all line rode? I take it the boats you refer to are located in the PNW.

post #274 of 535 Old 10-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
Were you able to see what kind of bottom there was too in fishfinder mode? I've been considering getting a fishfinder too lately but it's hard to narrow down which one I want to get...
You can easily see plants and rocks. You can see soft mud. Clay and sand look the same though. It also looks ahead and behind so you can see if the bottom is flat or inclined.

MikeOReilly, CVAT and neeqness like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesail For This Useful Post:
neeqness (12-07-2017)
post #275 of 535 Old 10-23-2017

ScottUK

You are right, I was not staying on topic. I thought that I was perceiving a bias against power boaters, a couple of posters seem to be suggesting there are lots of them around who don't have the knowledge or equipment to anchor properly. I was simply stating that I see many power boats and they are not dragging their anchors all over creation. I am not trying to start an argument.
ScottUK likes this.
post #276 of 535 Old 10-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceGTX View Post
I said "after it sets". Most every anchor test includes a test at 3:1 scope. So this is not unusual.
Bryce
Agreed, a lot of anchors work really well if you assume that they set properly, at least until the current or wind change.
post #277 of 535 Old 10-24-2017

Small power boats are relatively light displacement and small wind profile. They just don't need much of an anchor. More importantly, they almost never anchor 24/7/365 and beat it to the trailer or marina if conditions are not bright, sunny, and low winds.

Danforths are great anchors in many conditions but I hate the damn things. They are a real PITA if you have to move them off the anchor roller. The bar or the flukes grab onto you, the boat or anything they can to make life difficult. The damn hinged flukes have a voracious appetite for fingers that can range from a nasty pinch to amputation. Have had a Danforth break loose with a change in the tide and wind and skip along the bottom not resetting. Have also had them bury so deep they had to be pulled out backwards by a diver, me. Still carry a broken down Fortress FX 23 as a back up anchor and FX 16 as a stern/lunch hook. Give me a New style Non hinged folding anchor any day.

Anchored 24/7/365 on all chain including a tropical storm passage with 50 plus winds and never a problem. Always used a snubber tied to the anchor with rolling hitches and didn't have much of a problem getting it undone including the before mentioned storm. Tried a chain hook but it kept coming detached and very soon committed it to Poseidon.

Rope road works just fine till you really need it. For the real cruiser who lives or dies with his anchor, rope is just too prone to failure from chafe. If you can set up the rode so it makes no bends greater than say 30 degrees and there is nothing that the line will come in contact with and there is nothing on the bottom that the rope will foul then rope could be a 24/7/365 solution. Have had the unfortunate experience of having to rely on rope during the passage of a downgraded former hurricane. Being stuck on the foredeck for a night periodically releasing the line to be sure the line didn't chafe and change the wear point as it passed through the chock is not something I ever want to do again. The only good thing was I had plenty of tail on the line so didn't run out of line to let out.

So Danforths are good, in fact great, anchors on some bottoms but they are still a PITA to handle they I'll avoid unless absolutely unavoidable. Small power boats can get by with POS anchors because they only anchor occasionally and almost never in less than ideal conditions. Rope rode will work fine IF it doesn't chafe through on something like a chock on board or a foul bottom. It is rude for someone with rope road to drop their hook on a 7-1 scope and wipe out half the anchorage for other boats that don't require such excessive swinging room. A rollling hitch works just fine for a snubber and the price is right.
post #278 of 535 Old 10-24-2017
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
For the real cruiser who lives or dies with his anchor.
Everyone who's anchored lives or dies with his anchor. This "real cruiser" thing just doesn't exist. Real cruisers use all chain. And Real cruisers use mixed rode. So let's not get carried away. This is all about preference - not dogma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Being stuck on the foredeck for a night periodically releasing the line to be sure the line didn't chafe and change the wear point as it passed through the chock is not something I ever want to do again.
Knowing how to use good chafe gear cuts way down on this problem...pardon the pun.
travlin-easy likes this.
post #279 of 535 Old 10-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This "real cruiser" thing just doesn't exist.
Yes it does - they are all on Blue Water Boats...

Mark
smackdaddy and aeventyr60 like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #280 of 535 Old 10-25-2017
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Yes it does - they are all on Blue Water Boats...

Mark
and armed to the teeth
aeventyr60 likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in