Not Getting the All-Chain Thing - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 532 Old 10-08-2017

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Burned a fair few credits from the black box that time, eh?
To be exact, six.

EDIT: I believe my black box came with ten credits.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Last edited by RocketScience; 10-08-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 532 Old 10-08-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

want to lose your boat? use mixed rode at anchor in a bouncy anchorage. chafe happens fast. both ends--boat end and anchor end.. rocky bottoms and sandy bottoms are rough and cause chafe. all chain does not chafe. boats with all chain also donot waltz allover an anchorage preventing others from anchoring due to massive swing.
all chain does not drag anchor as fast as does rope rode.
yeah it weighs in at ten more tons, but most heavy cruising boats are good with that weight.
i only keep rope rode for kedging off a shoal..ever try that with all chain hahahahahah yup i did that. not even my boat..damn i am a good friend..hahahahaha
MikeOReilly and travlin-easy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 532 Old 10-08-2017 Thread Starter

Futile exercise into what should have been obvious.
Yeah. Not racing. Protecting. Already been invented...

post #24 of 532 Old 10-08-2017

You can cruise just fine with chain and rope, provided the chain part is long enough so that only it is on the bottom in rocky and coral areas. We meet many people cruising in the same areas of everyone posting above that use mixed rode, and we have yet to meet anyone who has lost a boat or had problems with it.

This type of rode is very common on multihulls and smaller boats, although less common now than in the past. We used a mixed rode for 16yrs coastal cruising in two different 40' boats, but switched to all chain when we left cruising full time.

Like Don mentioned above, our decision to go all chain was more for convenience than anything else. It is much easier to just push the switch and have the windlass handle the chain smoothly. Also, when on the rope part, a boat does swing a lot more, as well as wiplash back and forth in gusts because of the elasticity. This is more pronounced the deeper the anchorage.

If you will be cruising only the US East Coast and Bahamas, having a lot of dead chain doesn't make sense if your boat is weight sensitive or shallow draft. We are often anchored in 5-10' of water in these places, where 200' of our chain is always dead weight. A 100'/100' mixed rode, or even a 50'/150' is fine in these places.

Mark
smackdaddy likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #25 of 532 Old 10-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
yeah it weighs in at ten more tons, but most heavy cruising boats are good with that weight.
Our entire boat, including our chain, doesn't weigh that much. I don't know of any reasonably sized cruising boat that can handle that much weight.

Mark

post #26 of 532 Old 10-08-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Our entire boat, including our chain, doesn't weigh that much. I don't know of any reasonably sized cruising boat that can handle that much weight.

Mark
y'alls take everything tooo literally. dang.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #27 of 532 Old 10-08-2017 Thread Starter

This has been a good thread/info for me because sometimes I tend to s t r e t c h and question what's been 'proven' a little to far.

Draft is a little under 5'.
My original thoughts were 90' chain and whatever rope...
Boat has a 3/8 BBB windlass I'm now changing to a new 5/16 G4 iso windlass.
Converting to 5/16 on current 30 y/o Ideal windlass (now Schaefer) 65% of a new one...
1.1lb vs 1.6lb per ft

I'd never thought having rope on the bottom would be OK. I was being overly concerned with weight. But my original 90' might be just fine..and safe...for the Bahamas and Carib...
The post about 40-60' anchoring depths in the Pacific kinda slammed me back down to earth. I remembering reading reports on this....duh.

Maybe reconfigure west of the canal is what you do...

I really want to avoid massive (subjective) dead weight doing nothing.

A funny....
At one time I thought about going with 1/4 70 and ditching the windlass. Sure, on a good day...no problem. But all days won't be good...

Gravity is good
post #28 of 532 Old 10-08-2017
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
we have yet to meet anyone who has lost a boat or had problems with it.Mark
Do you think that could possibly be because those that have lost their boat with that system aren't out cruising any more, so you wouldn't have met them?
davidpm likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #29 of 532 Old 10-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Do you think that could possibly be because those that have lost their boat with that system aren't out cruising any more, so you wouldn't have met them?
Yes, they are probably on land with all the people who lost their boats with an all chain system - I haven't met those people yet either.

You do realize the logical fallacy of your statement?

Mark

post #30 of 532 Old 10-08-2017

Weight aside, I think the overriding 'disadvantage' of all-chain is the difficulty of retrieval in the (inevitable??) event that the windlass fails - especially if that occurs in more than 20-30 feet of depth.

As a side comment to this thread, of late any time we're swinging free (as opposed to the common local practice of a stern line ashore) we've been adding a 20 pound kellet. Works great when anchoring around all-chain vessels and absent any real pressure (wind or tide) tend to simply sit on the kellet if in shallow water. Very pleased with that setup (no windlass so handbombing everything).

A friend we often cruise with (all chain) routinely adds a kellet as well,FWIW.
Jeff_H likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in