Not Getting the All-Chain Thing - Page 54 - SailNet Community
 348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #531 of 535 Old 05-24-2019

Re: Not Getting the All-Chain Thing

The CG uses Fortress anchors on all their rescue boats. They probably spent tens of millions testing anchors to make that choice. They don't anchor out overnight so they may have been looking strictly at holding power and not other criteria such as resetting ability. They also use rope rode on a spool in the anchor locker forward. The anchor is stored on the cabin side without the rode attached.
SanderO and Arcb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #532 of 535 Old 05-24-2019

^^^I dont think the 47's have windlas's either. But, they do have big strapping sailors for crew and skippers that know how to get the best out of their anchors. They don't really anchor much.

But still.
post #533 of 535 Old 05-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald5 View Post
The CG uses Fortress anchors on all their rescue boats. They probably spent tens of millions testing anchors to make that choice. They don't anchor out overnight so they may have been looking strictly at holding power and not other criteria such as resetting ability. They also use rope rode on a spool in the anchor locker forward. The anchor is stored on the cabin side without the rode attached.
I am not sure I understand the idea that a fluke style anchor can set incredibly well, but for some magical reason is unable to reset. I understand the arguments why anchors may not reset. However, it is not my experience that Danforths don't inherently reset.

On the other hand, the more significant issue that I see is the problem that chain wraps the anchor, fouling it causing it not to reset. When I anchored in tidal areas or with wind changes, this was always my biggest concern with chain. And this has happened with chain and Delta, Bruce and the Danforth.

I don't remember a case where line only has wrapped my Danforth perhaps for the simple reason that any force on the line lifts the line off the bottom preventing the line from wrapping the anchor.

Chain drags on the bottom picking up everything off the bottom and wrapping anything in its path. This is the number one reason I don't use chain in sea weed. Where wind is against the current, chain rips the sea weed off the bottom and current drags the sea weed between the chain and bottom. On a reset, this big glob of sea weed invariably prevents the anchor from resetting. Been there done that.

This last 5 month cruise without chain has convinced me that chain causes more problems than it solves. And the graphs PDQ provided indicate that even a fix shank anchor can run without chain as long as it uses at least a 6 to one scope.
Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 05-28-2019 at 04:32 AM.

post #534 of 535 Old 05-28-2019

Why continually repeat yourself? I hope you’re not waiting to win an internet argument. That would be either narcissistic or insane.

I was on the hook for three days this past weekend. One night gusting 30 kts in the anchorage. My all 1/2” chain and anchor stuck like glue. I run a graphic anchor monitor 24/7 and can see the swing. When the wind swung 180 degrees to the original set, we never even pulled back over the initial anchor set in 10-15 kt winds.

I was very happy. You do you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #535 of 535 Old 05-28-2019

n=1. I guess that proves it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in