Re-galvanize anchor and chain? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2017 Thread Starter

Re-galvanize anchor and chain?

Is there an anchor expert in the Solomons Island, MD area? I'd like to get the anchor/anchor chain inspected and possibly re-galvanized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2017

Re: Re-galvanize anchor and chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
Is there an anchor expert in the Solomons Island, MD area? I'd like to get the anchor/anchor chain inspected and possibly re-galvanized.
If you find a place to do it I want to do it too. I'm told it's pretty much impossible to get chain regalvanize anymore unless you do it by the crate which means you have to sign up with about 10 different boats to get it done. I've checked all over the Baltimore Harbor area and has not been successful

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2017

My guess: due to air quality concerns there are not as many galvanizers around as there once were.

A few years ago I located a long-established company in a suburban industrial part of our city and the cost for sand blasting both our Danforth anchors and both 30' pieces of chain was about half the price of replacing with new.
Coincidently the sand blasters and the galvanizers were conveniently co-located.

Perhaps you can find a facility within driving distance and get a quote. Good luck on your search.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2017

If you think you need your chain re-galvanized, odds are we can all guess what the inspection would say. Chain is a wear item that needs to be replaced periodically.

I understand that environmental issues have made it impractical for most firms to do this anymore. In any event, I doubt it would ever be as good as the original, so you'd probably be wasting your money. Buy new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2017

M- Iím going to make a bunch of assumptions. Please tell me where Iím wrong.
Youíre on a 17 year old boat. Chain 17 years old?
You cruise in an area which is shoal and mud. So anchoring is done frequently and you probably donít have a fresh water wash down so anchor chain is stored with some salt on it and probably some acidic mud isnít cleaned off.
Your boat is in the middle of the displacement/ length curve so even with snubbers chain sees loading and wear.
Given above assumptions even if regalvinizing could be done in your yard and anything over 10í would be accepted time to replace it.

Real question is where to source the chain. Hear thereís a current issue of finding anyone selling high quality chain properly galvanized. Anyone reading this knowing of a good source please post it.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in