Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter

Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder

Bought used 1985 Oday 31 Spring '17. Took boat out for season to discover large blister on rudder (see attached)Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder-bloated-rudder.jpg

Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder-bloated-rudder-port-side.jpg. There was no blister at time of boat survey in Spring. Any suggestions/references regarding repair options? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-20-2017
Dirt Free

Re: Large Blister on Oday 31 Rudder

No way that happened without some obvious indicators that would have been caught by any half decent surveyor. Wavy-ness on lower part of rudder suggests a patch job that should have been caught by your surveyor.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-20-2017

Assuming this is not just a big bottom paint bubble, I would say you are looking at either rebuilding or replacing the rudder. Start by drilling a hole in the bottom of the rudder and see how much water comes out.

Repair would involve cutting the rudder apart, fixing any corroded internal structure, and putting it back together. A new rudder can be made by Foss Foam. Here's the link.
http://www.newrudders.com/standard-rudders/

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 10-20-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Added link.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-20-2017
Learning the HARD way...

From the comfort of my desk, that looks like a water bubble in the antifouling paint. In essence, the bottom paint was applied with inadequate preparation and water got behind it and formed a "bag."

You probably have water in the rudder of your boat. Every time that I have looked for water in the rudder post of an O'day 35 I have found it, including on my boat. I used to siphon the water out every year when the boat was hauled. Two years ago I poured a gallon of automotive antifreeze (concentrate, not the 50/50 stuff) in the rudder post. I made it through last year with no issues.

When the time comes, I'll probably just buy a new rudder from Foss Foam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 10-21-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks for comments. Going to yard/boat tomorrow. Appears probable that the blister is mostly gas from foam rather than water. does that change anything with respect to treatment?
post #6 of 25 Old 10-21-2017

As was noted by me and eherlihy, the first question is is this just a bubble in the paint, or is it in the laminate. The second thing to do is drill a hole in the bottom of the rudder to see how much water drains out. You can also tap all over the rudder to see if you have delamination. In delaminated areas you will get a dull hollow sound and may feel some give in the fiberglass skin. If you get a solid sound, then you still have a good bond between the foam and outer skin.

Until you do the above, there's not much we can do except guess wildly about what you are dealing with.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #7 of 25 Old 10-21-2017
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Drill hole in bottom of rudder - see how much water runs out. An egg cup or two is OK quarts are not.

Grind off blister [ start from top of vent it first.

Lock tiller or wheel and get someone to try to move the rudder [ really hard ]. while you see and feel for any evidence of internal failure.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-23-2017 Thread Starter

Again, thank you all for your comments. I went out to the yard this weekend to discover that the blisters have disappeared (which I gather translates to the blisters were in the paint* rather than the laminate). I will go out again in the next couple of weeks** to drill hole in the bottom of the rudder and measure amount of water that comes out. Is there a proper technique for drilling a hole in the rudder? I'm planning to use 1/4" drill at the lowest part of rudder going in from bottom (rather than side). I don't know the construction of the rudders but presumably I won't hit a water pipe/electrical line (or equivalent) doing that. (?)

The surveyor tapped around the rudder quite a bit during the survey. He told me about a dead spot but I gather he concluded it shouldn't be a deal breaker (or if he did, I wasn't listening).

* I would not have imagined that paint could hold that amount of water. Did this blister exist while the boat was in the water (or does it appear only when the boat is pulled)?
** I planned to drill the rudder when I was out this last weekend but putting the cover on (first time) took a little more time than I expected.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-23-2017
Dirt Free

I have a hard time believing that blister is limited to the paint especially considering the unfair are below the blister.
Did you sound the rudder this time?. did you stick a knife in the blister?, Did you try to peel the paint ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #10 of 25 Old 10-24-2017
Learning the HARD way...

I will say this one last time; I recommend that you do not drill a hole in your rudder. Siphon the liquid out, and pour some antifreeze in.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in