2 Shore power connections? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-23-2017 Thread Starter

2 Shore power connections?

I have a Beneteau 381 that has 2 shore power outlets. Several people have asked me why, & really, I have no idea. When I chartered I never had to plug the shore power in. Someone said the other day I only need to plug one chord in & not both (the boat came w/ a double chord).

Anyone know? It does have A/C so maybe that requires the extra power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-23-2017
SFH

Re: 2 Shore power connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heller Gregory View Post
I have a Beneteau 381 that has 2 shore power outlets. Several people have asked me why, & really, I have no idea. When I chartered I never had to plug the shore power in. Someone said the other day I only need to plug one chord in & not both (the boat came w/ a double chord).

Anyone know? It does have A/C so maybe that requires the extra power.
One is 16A for normal appliances and one is 32A for A/C, washing machine etc.
Have the same on our Jeanneau 53

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 10-23-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks! I figured it was for the A/C, I've had enough people ask that I thought I'd ask here.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-23-2017

We have two 30A connections. Our AC panel is divided between them so that one side is shared with the inverter/charger and low amperage circuits, and the other side the AC, water heater, and high amperage circuits. This way, high loads can't be accidentally, run off the inverter if the shore power fails.

If you have two, it is probably the same - your AC panel is split between them, and you should have two main AC inlet breakers on the panel.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in